Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 01:07 PM

2,467 posts, read 12,246,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Some of the North Shore burbs have incredibly nice beaches, with great playgrounds, sailing lessons and concessions. Glencoe is probably tops. Of course there are ridiculously few areas to park and high fees unless you are resident.

Water stays unpleasantly cool until early August some years -- that is where SW Michigan shines. Water heats up a little more due to currents/smaller river (sewer) flow...
Can you please post locations of some of those?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2008, 02:05 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,176,801 times
How are they compared to what?

Compared to, say, St. Croix, they're cold, dank and nasty.

But hey, it's the Midwest, and we have beaches. That alone is quite a novelty.

And yeah, Michigan beaches tend to be nicer. Less pollution, nicer temps, and prevailing winds that even manage to provide enough waves to support a surf shop. Go figure.

Old 06-03-2008, 09:00 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,379,844 times
The beach by the Evanston lighthouse is quite nice! Some small sand dunes with tall grasses poking out of them (very Cape Cod-ish), and of course the lighthouse to add to the overall experience. As others have stated, fees are steep to non-residents though, so be warned.

Old 06-03-2008, 12:53 PM

5,476 posts, read 12,244,635 times
I remember we used to hang at the Foster St beach...I'm talking childhood memories here. The water didn't seem so much the health hazard, although as a kid, who thinks of these things? All I know is it was flippin cold water. But I do remember playing in the sand, and always running across fish heads and parts...some silver sort of fish that would wash up on the beach and stink to high heaven. Of course, growing up with it, it just becomes a part of life, but I wonder if that fish flow thing is still going on.

Old 06-03-2008, 02:02 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,370,617 times
Default Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobolt View Post
I remember we used to hang at the Foster St beach...I'm talking childhood memories here. The water didn't seem so much the health hazard, although as a kid, who thinks of these things? All I know is it was flippin cold water. But I do remember playing in the sand, and always running across fish heads and parts...some silver sort of fish that would wash up on the beach and stink to high heaven. Of course, growing up with it, it just becomes a part of life, but I wonder if that fish flow thing is still going on.
Alewives

Alewife - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Glencoe Beach

Old 06-03-2008, 03:38 PM

5,476 posts, read 12,244,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Yep. That be them.

Old 06-04-2008, 01:03 PM

1 posts, read 1,654 times
Hello ! I'm 18 and I come from belgium ..I'll go one year abroad in Chicago ..how 's the life there? people are nice ?

Old 06-04-2008, 01:21 PM

43 posts, read 165,122 times
North Ave beach is by far the best IMO. You can pretty much start and go in any direction along the lakefront and it's pretty much a beautiful walk/run/jog/rollerblade/bike/whatever experience.

Old 06-04-2008, 01:26 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,789,833 times
I like Montrose Beach a lot, though if you go there beware of the "Magic Hedge". Unless you're into that kind of thing, of course.

Also, the quaint smaller beaches of Rogers Park are quite a treat. I particularly like the three small beaches along Eastlake Terrace (Juneway Terrace, Howard, and the other one).

I think most people in Chicago are "sit on the beach" kind of people instead of "go in the water" kind of people. Lake Michigan is so cold much of the year, but it can be refreshing when the weather is 95 degrees in the shade.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago