Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 12:35 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,792,528 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukwoo View Post
Not in the three years I've lived in Oak Park that's for sure.
It sounds like B.S. to me. This is the kind of thing that gets talked about for decades in places like Oak Park.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2008, 12:52 PM

220 posts, read 744,729 times
You'll be fine. Just don't act like a complete idiot and remember you're in the city.

My wife stays home with our 1 yr old and walks all over central-east Oak Park and has taken the L downtown with our son and has never had a problem.

I would go with the L over the Metra because the L comes every 10-15 minutes and has stops from one end of the Loop to the other (Clinton, Clark/Lake, State/Lake, Randolph (one block to Millenium Park), Adams (one block to Art Institute), Roosevelt (~3 blocks to Shedd/Adler/Field museums).

Whereas Metra stops at Olgivie Station at Madison/Clinton and then you have to cab it or walk the ~mile to the museums and east side of the Loop.

Welcome to Oak Park!

Old 06-03-2008, 12:59 PM

5,525 posts, read 13,950,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
It sounds like B.S. to me. This is the kind of thing that gets talked about for decades in places like Oak Park.
It does sound fishy. Perhaps "a few years ago" actually means 20 years ago. If we knew the name of the victim, it would be easier to verify.

Old 06-03-2008, 01:07 PM

220 posts, read 744,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sukwoo View Post
It does sound fishy. Perhaps "a few years ago" actually means 20 years ago. If we knew the name of the victim, it would be easier to verify.
IrishTom is a older gentleman (as he mentioned previously), so he may be referring to an incident in the past past (ie more than 10 years ago).

And if the guy was a lawyer, he may have had it coming. (sorry lawyers)

Old 06-03-2008, 01:13 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,753,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mendelman View Post
IrishTom is a older gentleman (as he mentioned previously), so he may be referring to an incident in the past past (ie more than 10 years ago).

And if the guy was a lawyer, he may have had it coming. (sorry lawyers)

Fella's name was Plattenberg. I'd say it was around 1987 or so. Time goes, seems like just the other day.

Last edited by Irishtom29; 06-03-2008 at 01:48 PM..

Old 06-09-2008, 05:14 PM

71 posts, read 269,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Some years ago a lawyer I knew from Oak Park was shot dead on the Lake St. El and during rush hour too, the train was down around Crawford or Kedzie as I recall.
Was that the unfortunate man who put himself in the middle of a robbery?

Old 06-09-2008, 05:16 PM

71 posts, read 269,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Fella's name was Plattenberg. I'd say it was around 1987 or so. Time goes, seems like just the other day.
Sorry, I didn't see this post! It was the man I was thinking of.

Old 06-10-2008, 08:57 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,792,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mia220 View Post
Sorry, I didn't see this post! It was the man I was thinking of.
Can you elaborate on this story? Internet searches about this incident yield nothing since it was so long ago. I'm genuinely curious.

Also, does anyone remember a Mike Royko story years back about a guy who fell asleep on the "L" and ended up "on the wrong side of town", only to be severely beaten or injured... It seems like this kind of thing was a big worry for people back in the 80s, but people are now more willing to take chances in bad neighborhoods.

Old 06-10-2008, 09:25 PM

365 posts, read 1,253,221 times
All I know is, my family and I—individually, together—have been riding the el —both Green and Blue lines—from Oak Park to downtown and beyond for 22 years. (I took it twice a day every day for three years.) I think you can safely take your children downtown and back all day long; if you have to go at night, take the Blue Line; I/we've ridden it as late as 10 or 11 pm. Never any problems. Be streetwise and city-smart just as you would anywhere in a city, and you'll be fine.

Old 06-11-2008, 09:07 AM

43 posts, read 167,216 times
Thanks all! We were there this weekend for a half tourist half relocation looking trip. Loved the area!

I lived in Washington, DC for several years and took the metro through rough areas all the time, but the metro has a different feel than the el, so I wasn't sure. However, we took the green line several times on Friday afternoon and on the weekend and felt safe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago