Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 12:22 PM

1,989 posts, read 4,464,245 times

Advertisements

I recently moved back to the Chicago area after 15+ years out of state. This weekend we have guests coming to town.

Back in the day, before UIC expanded, I used to visit (and occasionally even work a vendor booth at) the Sunday Maxwell Street Market. Just as they were shutting it down, cleaning it up and "licensing" it, we moved.

I know some form of the market is still there-- can anyone give me a sense of the scale and flavor?

Are the guys still selling all kinds of crazy food from carts? Do people still bring their junk drawers and dump them on the pavement to sell unidentifiable crap? Are there still street musicians of various and arguable talent levels?

I'm hoping the answer is yes. But if not, give me an idea of whether it's worth the trip early on a Sunday.

THANKS!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2008, 01:11 PM

220 posts, read 744,356 times
Well, the market has been moved to Canal St. because Maxwell St. is (for all intents and purposes) non-existent. The University Village redevelopment area straddling Halsted south of Roosevelt has "rebuilt" a part of the old Maxwell St., but it is really no more than a stage front and rather contrived.

It's trying to be "Maxwell St." without actually being Maxwell St. - if you understand what I mean.

Old 06-03-2008, 01:15 PM

2,329 posts, read 6,631,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mendelman View Post
Well, the market has been moved to Canal St. because Maxwell St. is (for all intents and purposes) non-existent. The University Village redevelopment area straddling Halsted south of Roosevelt has "rebuilt" a part of the old Maxwell St., but it is really no more than a stage front and rather contrived.

It's trying to be "Maxwell St." without actually being Maxwell St. - if you understand what I mean.
Yea, its a Disneyfied version. Its actually embarrassing the way they redeveloped some of those sections (parking garages with fake facades made to look like old buildings, etc). I realize it wasnt the best part of the city at the time. But I think the way they went about acquiring that land for UIC and kicking out all the poor residents (who gave so much to Chicago's culture) is really shady.

And I think I had heard the physical market itself is going to get moved again (to a more "permanent" home) The city is doing everything possible to kill it.

Old 06-03-2008, 01:29 PM

249 posts, read 685,061 times
The market in its new location is overwhelmingly Hispanic as far as the vendors go -- in keeping with the tradition of Maxwell Street being the launching point for immigrants' entrepreneurial careers. Musicians not as prominent as in the past, but I seem to remember someone set up at the south end of the market at 16th Street. As far as the merchandise available, the first three things I would think of are used power tools (fell off the truck specials), tube socks and, from any of the Hispanic food carts, eyeball tacos.

Old 06-03-2008, 06:34 PM

1,989 posts, read 4,464,245 times
Sorry to hear about the weird Disneyfication. My favorite thing about Maxwell Street was that it wasn't "sanitized for your protection."

Ah, well.

Then again "fell off the truck specials" and "eyeball tacos" have a familiar ring to them.

How many blocks of action are there?

Old 06-03-2008, 07:01 PM

8,425 posts, read 12,179,639 times
The Sunday flea market extends about three blocks north and four block south of Roosevelt, and is actually larger than the old Maxwell street peddler's market. Its the place to go for used tools. Actually, it is really a colorful experience and one many people would like.

Old 06-04-2008, 08:12 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,752,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mendelman View Post

The market might have moved to Canal St but down here in South Chicago (aka Atlanta GA), it is still a "Maxwell Street Polish" at the Chicago Dog stands around town. I really hope they do not change it to a "Canal St Polish" because it just don't sound right.

Old 06-04-2008, 08:13 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,752,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manigault View Post
The Sunday flea market extends about three blocks north and four block south of Roosevelt, and is actually larger than the old Maxwell street peddler's market. Its the place to go for used tools. Actually, it is really a colorful experience and one many people would like.
Always was the place to go for tools. Everytime a tradesman got ripped off working in the South Loop, he would just stroll over there and buy his tools back!

Old 06-04-2008, 08:49 AM

2,329 posts, read 6,631,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Always was the place to go for tools. Everytime a tradesman got ripped off working in the South Loop, he would just stroll over there and buy his tools back!
You could buy your hubcaps back too!

Old 06-04-2008, 01:53 PM

440 posts, read 1,501,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cohdane View Post
Sorry to hear about the weird Disneyfication. My favorite thing about Maxwell Street was that it wasn't "sanitized for your protection."

Ah, well.

Then again "fell off the truck specials" and "eyeball tacos" have a familiar ring to them.

How many blocks of action are there?
The market runs on Canal from 16th to Taylor.

There is nothing weird and there is nothing "Disneyfied" about Maxwell Street. The neighborhood today is far more real and far more functional than the old one ever was. I mean, if a plain-old neighborhood ain't real, somebody is living in an alternate universe.

There ARE still plenty of rat-infested tenements in North Lawndale for your viewing entertainment though, so maybe you should consider taking your friends there for a real "unsanitized" Chicago experience. Start with lunch at Wallace's catfish at Madison/California, pick a side street just west and walk south until you get to Roosevelt Road. You might have to walk back to California to cross the Ike and/or the railroad tracks, but you'll definitely feel like you are in "real" Chicago. Who knows, you might even be able to cop some crack cocaine to take home as a souvenier! Think of the stories!

If, on the other hand, you are simply one of those geek tourists who used to come from the suburbs and North Side to Maxwell to gawk and feel superior to the knee-grows, I am afraid you are going to be disappointed. I'd also add that anyone who would throw trite, cornball cliches like "Disneyfied" around probably needs to ask Santy Claus for a thesaurus. You might even be able to find one at the market, although if you did it would probably be in Spanish.

The bottom line is I would recommend that you and your associates to find something else to do. The market today is a real, functioning market, and the only reason to go there is to shop. Which I do a lot of, one of the reasons being that I do NOT see con men rolling up their sleeves trying to hawk phony stolen watches. If you are looking for a freak show, there's a much better one at the Pontiac in Wicker Park.

I also want to add the market is also a HUGE pain in the rear to those of us who live nearby, which is another reason I would encourage anyone not coming to shop to stay away. If you absolutely insist, please leave your car at home and either bike or take public transit. The traffic jams on Roosevelt are bad enough without you.

Last edited by NearWestSider; 06-04-2008 at 02:28 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago