Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 01:55 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,262,628 times

Advertisements

If you stay at the hotel and park there, you might be able to get the hotel service to take you. Might. You'll need a cab to get back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2010, 07:40 AM

320 posts, read 954,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
You are kidding???
Jan 27th Chicago Tribune:

Chicago's traditional July 3 Grant Park fireworks extravaganza is shelved this year, eliminating one of the city's largest communal experiences that brings more than a million people to the lakefront to spread out blankets, coolers and lawn chairs to watch the colorful spectacle. The fireworks show, which ends a three-decades-plus run, joins the South Side Irish Parade, Venetian Night and the Outdoor Film Festival as major community events that have gone by the wayside in the last year, victims of budget woes or public safety concerns.

Old 04-16-2010, 12:42 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,609,770 times
"It's Taste of Chicago -- not Taste of Chicagoland, Taste of Schaumburg or Taste of Riverside.

That's the message City Hall is delivering to suburban restaurants. They're no longer welcome at Chicago's annual orgy of food and music..."

It's the Taste of CHICAGO :: CHICAGO SUN-TIMES :: News (http://www.suntimes.com/news/2164678,CST-NWS-taste16web.article - broken link)

About time.

Old 04-16-2010, 07:19 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,176,801 times
You'd think these days the city can ill-afford to turn away any restaurant willing to pony up the cash for a booth or sign over a sponsorship check. If the city doesn't need their money, what do they need to keep raising our taxes and fees for?

Old 04-16-2010, 08:51 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,761,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slow_nerve_action View Post
Jan 27th Chicago Tribune:

Chicago's traditional July 3 Grant Park fireworks extravaganza is shelved this year, eliminating one of the city's largest communal experiences that brings more than a million people to the lakefront to spread out blankets, coolers and lawn chairs to watch the colorful spectacle. The fireworks show, which ends a three-decades-plus run, joins the South Side Irish Parade, Venetian Night and the Outdoor Film Festival as major community events that have gone by the wayside in the last year, victims of budget woes or public safety concerns.
Well we won't be coming to the Taste this year then. Without the July 3 show, it isn't worth the 700 mile drive.

Old 04-16-2010, 09:25 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,609,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Well we won't be coming to the Taste this year then. Without the July 3 show, it isn't worth the 700 mile drive.
The July 3rd fireworks were not worth a 5 mile drive to begin with ...

Old 04-17-2010, 12:05 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,761,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
The July 3rd fireworks were not worth a 5 mile drive to begin with ...
I don't agree. It was one of the best in the country. We always enjoyed it. We even enjoyed walking down the middle of the street with a million other people and cramming into the CTA after the show. It was all fun!

Old 04-19-2010, 07:46 AM

258 posts, read 1,003,662 times
I thought there was still a show by navy pier, just smaller, and 2 other shows in other locations as well at the same time, its not that there wont be any show, in fact this year it may be better because there wont be one large crowd at 1 show.

Old 04-20-2010, 11:55 AM

1,044 posts, read 2,375,231 times
Last year, my girlfriend and I hosted some of her friends who flew in from Miami FL up here to Chicago to go the stupid taste of Chicago...i told them to save their money and not come, as it is really the "WASTE OF CHICAGO"...

-waste of time
-waste of money
-too crowded
-overpriced
-too hot
-pickpockets
-gangbangers
-shootings
-bad food
-trash everywhere
-its not a true representation of "life in Chicago"

Just overall, a bad experience. they came anyway, and boy,m were they dissappointed.

Old 04-26-2010, 06:30 AM

258 posts, read 1,003,662 times
Come on Taste of Chicago cant be that terrible.. I know its crowded but big crowds really dont bother me all that much, and shootings dont really happen inside the festival, it was outside the festival where it happened a couple of years ago, I'm from northern lower Michigan, and I realize it may not be fun to people who live right in the city but for me it is, hence im from a town with only 4000 people. I dont plan to drive in, but take the south shore train in, stay in the magnificent mile and have a great time. For the 30th anniversary i'm sure there will be some great live music.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago