Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2008, 09:43 AM

7,723 posts, read 12,614,165 times

Advertisements

To Chicago tommorrow! I haven't been there in 4 years! I am so excited. Chicago was great. I lived there for 2 years and before that visited several times over the years and it's been great. I had a rough start when I first moved there though. I lived around a rough neighborhood but that wasn't the problem. I got picked on alot in school for being a nerd or acting white. You know typical kid stuff. But after I moved to the college U.I.C area, everything is pretty different. It's so strange. But it was really fun living there. But you know what? One thing I was always scared of in Chicago no matter where I was- was getting kidnapped. lol. My school was 5 to 7 blocks down from the school housing building I stayed at. Although I would walk with my sister to the school I always had that fear. But it's only because back then, Chicago had so many reports on the news about kids getting kidnapped all the time so it scared me. I was little but whatever. I'll be in O'hare airport by 9 pm. I wonder what's changed! Also I have a question. What is there to do in a 5 day stay?? Besides going to the Navy Pier. I'm suprised I remember that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2008, 04:56 PM

569 posts, read 1,819,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
To Chicago tommorrow! I haven't been there in 4 years! I am so excited. Chicago was great. I lived there for 2 years and before that visited several times over the years and it's been great. I had a rough start when I first moved there though. I lived around a rough neighborhood but that wasn't the problem. I got picked on alot in school for being a nerd or acting white. You know typical kid stuff. But after I moved to the college U.I.C area, everything is pretty different. It's so strange. But it was really fun living there. But you know what? One thing I was always scared of in Chicago no matter where I was- was getting kidnapped. lol. My school was 5 to 7 blocks down from the school housing building I stayed at. Although I would walk with my sister to the school I always had that fear. But it's only because back then, Chicago had so many reports on the news about kids getting kidnapped all the time so it scared me. I was little but whatever. I'll be in O'hare airport by 9 pm. I wonder what's changed! Also I have a question. What is there to do in a 5 day stay?? Besides going to the Navy Pier. I'm suprised I remember that.
Welcome back to Chicago! Off of the top of my head the Wrigleyville summer fest is going on this Saturday. If your a Cubs fan you can watch the game at one of the bars since its a 12:00pm afternoon away game and walk over to the fest after.

Old 06-11-2008, 08:08 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,597,919 times
Have fun.

Old 06-11-2008, 08:12 PM

8,425 posts, read 12,179,639 times
Spend money!

Old 06-11-2008, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manigault View Post
Spend money!
Donate to the Avengerfire charity fund!

Old 06-11-2008, 08:25 PM

1,915 posts, read 7,982,826 times
I'm also going to Chicago, except a day after you. Enjoy your stay!

Old 06-11-2008, 08:32 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,355,011 times
5 days? Heck, Ive known people who have lived in Chicago for over 5 years and still havent even scratched the surface (regarding things to do). Anyways, have fun on your trip, its an amazing city, but Im sure you already knew that. lol

Old 06-11-2008, 11:25 PM

107 posts, read 142,391 times
ride the el around the loop. or the green line lake street el. amazing views.
sears tower skydeck.
oak street or north ave beach.
puertorican day parade=puertorican women=WOW!
the bean is funny, the twin fountains there are amazing
buckingham fountain
forget navy pier
magnificent mile
state street downtown
lincoln park zoo, its free and has ALL the zoo animals, and its compact
visit chinatown
visit little village=largest mexican area concentration outside east LA, a whole different world
hyde park=largest middle class black area in the world
anywhere around downtown really
humbolt park=all puerto rican area=nice twin metal artistic gigantic flags on division street
ashland on the south side, so much authentic city commercial districts, specifically from 47th and ashland and going up north, so 46th etc.. the biggest flea market in chicago is on about 30th and ashland.

what kind of stuff do you like ?

albany park is nice. very diverse.
uptown is nice, its the most densely populated area in chicago.. all highrises. so many people out, real chicagoans too, not suburbans or small towners that come to chicago as adults and leave when their kids are 5. (ahem Lincoln Park/Wrigleyville)
white sox/cubs game
You better eat a hot dog here too. anywhere .
lawrence and kedzie.
montrose and pulaski.
I wish I knew the street names in the south side better. theres entire commercial districts in the south side that so few people even know about outside of south siders. Ive been there and cant find them anymore, like they dissapeared.
greektown isnt really greek.
little italy isnt really italian.
HUGE polish area on belmont, west on belmont, about 20 blocks west of the lake.
Belomont and halsted is a huge gay area, if you wanna see it.
the cubs stadium is actualy pretty cool to see, it looks so out of place its amazing, in the middle of a neighborhood, no highways around it, not even major streets, just right there, like its a little kids baseball diamond or something in a little park, but its a humongous official old stadium.
randolph street just west of downtown is interesting, like no other street in chicago.
See some 6-way intersections. where each way is 2 lanes too, none are one way. theres 2 of them I know of.
dont give the bucket drummers any money unless they actually drum something with a beat. they just bang on drums with no rythm or nothing!

Old 06-11-2008, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDoe2008 View Post
...uptown is nice, its the most densely populated area in chicago.. all highrises. so many people out, real chicagoans too, not suburbans or small towners that come to chicago as adults and leave when their kids are 5. (ahem Lincoln Park/Wrigleyville)
When is the last time you lived in Chicago or went to Uptown? LMAO.

Quote:
...the cubs stadium is actualy pretty cool to see, it looks so out of place its amazing, in the middle of a neighborhood, no highways around it, not even major streets, just right there, like its a little kids baseball diamond or something in a little park, but its a humongous official old stadium...
Yeah,I guess Clark street is not a major street.

Quote:
...You better eat a hot dog here too. anywhere...
Actually no. Not anywhere. Half the places are crap now. If you do not know this you must have very low standards. Go by the recs. on this forum at least.

WITF calls Wrigley Field a stadium?

I could go on all night about the inaccuracies,but it would be a big waste of my night.

Last edited by Avengerfire; 06-11-2008 at 11:42 PM..

Old 06-11-2008, 11:38 PM

107 posts, read 142,391 times
Hey what can I say, I dont know much about wrigley (a place I dont go to, Im not a baseball fan and Im not white), but I do know uptown, and what I said is true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago