Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 09:58 PM

760 posts, read 1,271,614 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by supernerdgirl View Post
yeah Skylark is definitely NOT a "locals" bar... well, i mean, once "local" in Pilsen turns into hipster/arty/bike kids, then it will be a locals bar.
So what bar do the so called "hipsters" in Pilsen frequent if not Skylark?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2009, 10:04 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,792,528 times
They do hit the Skylark. I think supernerdgirl was saying the hipsters aren't really "locals"--but that they may be considered "locals" once Pilsen has completed it's transition into a hipster hood.

Old 07-13-2009, 05:53 AM

945 posts, read 1,988,090 times
Does anyone remember the "American Girl" story of Marisol? She was a short lived, mexican american little girl (all the dolls come with a book of their life story) who was being raised with her sister, by a single mom. This mom wanted a BETTER LIFE for her girls and was moving out of the pilsen neighborhood to the suburbs, to give them that.

The Pilsen neighborhood went nuts, protesting on MI ave in front of the store, and it became such a big deal, they pulled the doll and she was short lived. They were "insulted" by the story and it's suggestion that this single mom had to "move out of pilsen" to give her daughters a better life. As if it weren't true! Ridiculous. Looks like the truth hurt in more ways than one. Our little girl has the doll, she's beautiful, and our daughter is 1/2 mexican, 1/2 white. We would never live in pilsen, let alone raise my children there. To the OP, I would not think a petite, white female, smoking outside would be safe, in any way! And gangs would be the least of my worries, without elaborating more!

Old 07-13-2009, 06:18 AM

4,006 posts, read 6,038,723 times
If you have to ask the question, don't you think you've already answered it?

Old 07-13-2009, 07:17 AM

3,631 posts, read 10,234,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
They do hit the Skylark. I think supernerdgirl was saying the hipsters aren't really "locals"--but that they may be considered "locals" once Pilsen has completed it's transition into a hipster hood.
Yes, this is what I meant.

Old 07-13-2009, 08:06 AM

1,912 posts, read 5,445,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fairmarketvalue View Post
We would never live in pilsen, let alone raise my children there. To the OP, I would not think a petite, white female, smoking outside would be safe, in any way! And gangs would be the least of my worries, without elaborating more!
Can you please support your claim with some actual numbers of all these petite young white women being raped and murdered in Pilsen? The new OP is an artist looking for an affordable neighborhood not a family raising children and likely putting them in CPS. There is a BIG difference. Maybe you haven't driven through lately but do so, drive up and down the streets between Blue Island and Halsted in the evenings and check out the stoops. There are tons of college aged and mid-twenties white girls in the neighborhood. The live there because there are virtually no crimes commited against them specifically, maybe a car break-in, radio grab and the even rarer mugging (but those happen in Logan Square and Hyde Park too).

I cannot stand it when people make totally loaded statements without putting their money where their mouths are. Just because you personally would not raise a family there and are fleeing for the burbs does not mean that a single young person on a budget should not live there.

Old 07-13-2009, 08:12 AM

3,631 posts, read 10,234,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by surlycue View Post
Can you please support your claim with some actual numbers of all these petite young white women being raped and murdered in Pilsen? The new OP is an artist looking for an affordable neighborhood not a family raising children and likely putting them in CPS. There is a BIG difference. Maybe you haven't driven through lately but do so, drive up and down the streets between Blue Island and Halsted in the evenings and check out the stoops. There are tons of college aged and mid-twenties white girls in the neighborhood. The live there because there are virtually no crimes commited against them specifically, maybe a car break-in, radio grab and the even rarer mugging (but those happen in Logan Square and Hyde Park too).

I cannot stand it when people make totally loaded statements without putting their money where their mouths are. Just because you personally would not raise a family there and are fleeing for the burbs does not mean that a single young person on a budget should not live there.
Haha, no kidding. That post made Pilsen sound like the worst neighborhood in the city!

Old 07-13-2009, 09:56 AM

131 posts, read 356,222 times
Oops, I forgot that there are only two neighborhoods in Chicago. Pilsen and Old Town.

Old 07-13-2009, 11:20 AM

6,025 posts, read 15,345,799 times
Quote:

I agree. I lived west of Ashland and saw plenty of white, college age kids. I've seen plenty of non-Hispanic kids at Harrison Park w/ their non-Hispanic parents. east of Ashland has an even greater mix of college students and non-Hispanics. the area is very popular w/ the artist crowd and UIC students. these kids can't exactly afford to rent in places like Lincoln Park, and many of them, even if they could afford it, wouldn't move there anyways!

w/ neighborhoods like Pilsen, most of the violent crime is directed at rival or perceived rival gang members. obviously, there are no guarantees you wouldn't be an accidental casualty, (though there are no guarantees anywhere in this city, except maybe the ritziest of areas), but common sense will greatly reduce the chance. don't go strolling through the streets in the early AM mornings drunk w/ all your valuables in plain sight, for example.

I agree, I wouldn't rise a kid there (though many people who would likely be labeled "urban pioneers" do raise kids there) but it's a fine place for a college kid looking to save cash, especially for an artist

Old 07-13-2009, 07:12 PM

945 posts, read 1,988,090 times
Quote:

Geeze, lighten up, Francis!! And I don't recall saying anything about rape and murder- you own that stat report, or not! And who is to say those "white girls on the stoop" arent' Hispanic? See, that's the problem. You all think all hispanics, or more importantly, mexicans, look alike. There are many, many blue eyed, green eyed, lighter skinned "mexicans" so my "loaded statement" stands and as I explained, was based on an "AMERICAN GIRL DOLL STORY" that was protested against! That didn't happen for NO reason, folks! I still say if he had to ask the question, he must have already had the "worry" before coming on CD for opinions. I can't stand it when people are in as much denial as you seem to be so I guess we're even. Hope my "money" was enough to pay for my mouth. Have a good evening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago