Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 12:56 PM

1,909 posts, read 3,781,244 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by surlycue View Post
You would have driven through South Lawndale at the west and Little Village on the eastern end. Lawndale is nothing to scoff at but it is much worse further north where it borders Garfield Park.

Yea I went thru cicero which did not seem bad, just a bit run down like most subrubs in the US whos hey day was 1960. Than the neighborhood went black for about a mile, than mexican, than kind of gentrified (on cermak headed towards sacramento) than mexican again. Didnt see too many shaddy types, save the people obviously just released from the Jail.

Last edited by LakeShoreSoxGo; 12-13-2009 at 01:17 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2009, 01:47 PM

3,382 posts, read 4,079,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyPants View Post
The stats don't take into account who the violent crime is directed toward. So the safety level is different for different types of people. Much of the crime in Pilsen and Logan Square is directed towards gang members. As a non gang member, I feel safer in Logan Square and Pilsen then I do in Rogers Park or Uptown. I don't have the stats regarding Rogers Park, but I'm willing to bet they have more muggings or random violent crime then Logan Square or Pilsen does.
I agree fully with what you are saying here. I have been trying to tell people this for awhile. Just like I feel perfectly safe here in Roseland, but, not as much in Rogers Park.

Old 12-13-2009, 01:54 PM

1,912 posts, read 5,443,343 times
Quote:
South Lawndale is Little Village.
Oh noes, must I bring up community areas? Little Village is a neighborhood (with distinctive boundaries) within the community area of South Lawndale. OP would have technically driven through Marshall Square as well and the community area of North Lawndale for a moment between Cicero and roughly Kostner on Cermak.

Old 12-13-2009, 03:23 PM

5,014 posts, read 9,454,222 times
Quote:
The stats don't take into account who the violent crime is directed toward. So the safety level is different for different types of people. Much of the crime in Pilsen and Logan Square is directed towards gang members. As a non gang member, I feel safer in Logan Square and Pilsen then I do in Rogers Park or Uptown. I don't have the stats regarding Rogers Park, but I'm willing to bet they have more muggings or random violent crime then Logan Square or Pilsen does.
I've heard this a lot of times before but I don't buy it. Where there are gang members, there are open air drug deals, burglaries by people who want to buy the drugs, turf wars, and shootings by people with bad aim. There is also the retaliation factor if you care about your neighborhood and call the police when you see crap going on such as taggings, drug dealing, loud obnoxious parties, etc. I wouldn't recommend living in a high crime area, whether you're in a gang or not!

Old 12-13-2009, 09:15 PM

760 posts, read 1,271,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
I've heard this a lot of times before but I don't buy it. Where there are gang members, there are open air drug deals, burglaries by people who want to buy the drugs, turf wars, and shootings by people with bad aim. There is also the retaliation factor if you care about your neighborhood and call the police when you see crap going on such as taggings, drug dealing, loud obnoxious parties, etc. I wouldn't recommend living in a high crime area, whether you're in a gang or not!
I've never witnessed open air drug markets in Pilsen or Logan Square, and the crack and heroin trade is minimal in those areas. If you are going to commit a burglary to sustain your habit, you are probably a crack or smack head, maybe meth. I've lived in both Pilsen and Logan Square, and never felt as though I might be a victim of a mugging. I can't say the same about Rogers Park.

Old 10-11-2010, 03:04 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,597,919 times
I came across this site today which has some cool graphs on crime and such (even if some of the data is from a couple years ago):

Chicago Crime Blog

Old 10-11-2010, 06:09 PM

736 posts, read 1,694,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
A lot of people ask "how safe is such-and-such neighborhood" on this forum. Since safety is relative, I figured I would post a neighborhood safety gradient (I know I'm going to get criticized for this). If we consider North Park to be close to the the safest and Englewood or Washington Park to be the most dangerous, every chicago neighborhood should fall somewhere in between, right? As an example, here's where I would rate Pilsen:

SAFE
North Park
Jefferson Park
Lincoln Square
Lakeview/Lincoln Park
Edgewater
Bucktown/Wicker Park
Uptown
Logan Square
Rogers Park
Pilsen
Humboldt Park
South Shore
Austin
Englewood
Washington Park
DANGEROUS
Where is South Loop/Near South Side? And Chinatown?

Old 10-11-2010, 06:19 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,597,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3divina View Post
Where is South Loop/Near South Side? And Chinatown?
Hey said "As an example, here's where I would rate Pilsen."

Old 10-11-2010, 10:17 PM

736 posts, read 1,694,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
Hey said "As an example, here's where I would rate Pilsen."
Okay...

I guess I should have asked, "Why isn't South Loop/Near South Side on the list? What area on that list would it count as?"

Old 10-12-2010, 09:24 AM

3,697 posts, read 4,994,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3divina View Post
Okay...

I guess I should have asked, "Why isn't South Loop/Near South Side on the list? What area on that list would it count as?"
Because the downtown Chicago area is about as safe as it gets. You might get robbed or your wallet stolen perhaps even rape, but not drive bys and drug dealing out in the open.

The main reason is that downtown Chicago just does not have all that much population(after office workers and tourist) and much of that population is not young(i.e. teenagers or young adults) nor very poor. It just has the wrong mix of income, and population and residential space to keep crime up and because it is the main business/tourist area of Chicago it is heavily paroled by police.

Chinatown is getting away from downtown's safety but still not dangerous. Near southside, reasoably safe but I wouldn't go much south of about 40ish th street unless you know the area.

Last edited by chirack; 10-12-2010 at 09:34 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago