Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 11:09 AM

2,686 posts, read 7,871,502 times

Advertisements

Daley was ready for this and now you will be able to legally buy a handgun for home protection. However, you will:

have to register it, for a fee
possibly buy insurance, again for a fee
go thru background check every few years, again for a fee

Most people with handguns will continue to not register them as the "taxes" on them are just too high. Nothing really changed.

I have a number of friends in the city who keep a loaded revolver by their nightstand. None of them are registered and I doubt none of them will be registering their firearms due to the hassle and the fees.

People will continue to illegally possess handguns for home protection. Some may pony up the cash to "legally" have handguns but the criminals will continue to have them illegally.

The only difference is now citizens may be slightly more likely to be packing when criminals break into their homes.

Last edited by linicx; 07-01-2010 at 11:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2010, 11:17 AM

18,358 posts, read 26,495,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humboldt1 View Post
Daley was ready for this and now you will be able to legally buy a handgun for home protection. However, you will:

Most people with handguns will continue to not register them as the "taxes" on them are just too high. Nothing really changed.

I have a number of friends in the city who keep a loaded revolver by their nightstand. None of them are registered and I doubt none of them will be registering their firearms due to the hassle and the fees.

People will continue to illegally possess handguns for home protection. Some yuppies may pony up the cash to "legally" have handguns but the criminals will continue to have them illegally.

The only difference is now citizens may be slightly more likely to be packing when criminals break into their homes.
Any unreasonable burdens placed on ownership (expensive fees, insurance, etc.) will be challenged and thrown out. I'm well aware Daley said he would basically ignore the SCOTUS, and he also wished that harm would come to the justices, and he threatened a reporter with a rifle, but Daley's gun control agenda is toast. The courts will hammer him for years to come if he wishes to continue his war on liberty.

Old 06-28-2010, 11:28 AM

11,839 posts, read 28,955,935 times
Congrats Chicagoans!

Old 06-28-2010, 11:29 AM

436 posts, read 952,032 times
Quote:

you don't have to register to go to church.

Quote:
you don't have to buy insurance to go to church.

Quote:
you don't have to get a background check to go to church.

Guns, like religion, are fundamental rights. The government can't place restrictions on the ability of people to exercise a fundamental right. Daley should just lick his wounds and stop placing burdens on those who want to have guns. All he's doing is wasting City dollars.

Old 06-28-2010, 11:35 AM

2,011 posts, read 3,878,903 times
Read and weep all you 2nd Amendment haters:
Gun rights extended by the Supreme Court Apply to ALL 50 States! - Patriotic Resistance (http://www.resistnet.com/forum/topic/show?id=2600775%3ATopic%3A2314654&xgs=1&xg_source= msg_share_topic - broken link)

Old 06-28-2010, 11:57 AM

5,812 posts, read 18,831,224 times
I have no problem with people being allowed to own handguns, though there should be some restrictions. Seems to me that a lot of time banning handguns just creates more criminals than it stops (because law abiding citizens are tempted to keep a gun anyway, breaking the law, and real criminals get guns no matter what).

Old 06-28-2010, 01:46 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoking357 View Post
As of right now, Chicago has no handgun ordinance.
Eh -- wrong. It's still in effect until the lower court revisits.

Old 06-28-2010, 01:57 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,495,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Eh -- wrong. It's still in effect until the lower court revisits.
Let them try enforcing it then. It's gone. End of story. It's merely a matter of procedure now. The lower court has no option but to throw the ban out as the SCOTUS said, and the law is unenforceable now.

Old 06-28-2010, 02:05 PM

2,686 posts, read 7,871,502 times
Default Reality Check

I am all for them lifting the handgun ban and would even support a conceal-carry like they have in Indiana, BUT we have to be realistic.

In DC, they have already put restrictions on their handguns, much as will happen here.

The insurance might get thrown out, but expect registration fees and other items that will make many decide to not bother registering their firearms. Such a shame too, because this could be a huge source of revenue for the city/state if they didn't make it too difficult.

I do support them banning assault rifles and no sales to convicted felons, etc.

Old 06-28-2010, 02:30 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,612,634 times
Quote:
...I do support them banning assault rifles and no sales to convicted felons, etc.
A convicted felon cannot obtain a FOID.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago