Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 02:53 PM

425 posts, read 1,436,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waianaegirl View Post
Hopefully crime will go down, now that Chicago citizens can protect themselves.
The problem with your assumption is that Chicagoans are not currently a bunch of sheep being hunted down by a few armed wolves. I don't know the exact statistics (I'm sure there are some here who can quote them for me), but it's safe to say that the vast majority of murder victims were probably armed at the time they were shot, or had at lease committed a variety of crimes themselves.

If anything, this will cause crime rates to go up, because more households will have guns, and more domestic violence cases will end with a gunshot (I know that's a stretch, but no more so than the assertion that we will see a dramatic decrease in crimes because "Chicagoans can protect themselves...").
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2010, 03:01 PM

4,688 posts, read 10,106,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Read the 14th Amendment.
Right - when you agree with the court overruling locally legislated law, the 14th ammendment is cited. When you disagree, its judicial tyranny/legislating form the bench/judicial activism.

The constitution does not say 'the right to bear handguns', and its foolish to pretend that there is no debate over what type of weapons should be allowed in the 21st century, based on what arms consisted of in the 18th century.

What it does show is conservatives really care nothing about judicial activism, so long as the activism rules in favor of their pet issues.

Principles!

Old 06-28-2010, 03:54 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,612,634 times
This ruling was not even close to being judicial activism.

If the libs hate handguns so much they can amend the constitution. Of wait-they will never do that-they are too afraid of not getting re-elected.

Old 06-28-2010, 04:14 PM

436 posts, read 952,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiddy View Post

The constitution does not say 'the right to bear handguns',
The Constitution does not say "the right to be a Presbyterian," nor does the Constitution specifically authors the right to write books on the Idaho Legislature.

Quote:
and its foolish to pretend that there is no debate over what type o weapons should be allowed in the 21st century, based on what arms consisted of in the 18th century.
Actually, that is extremely foolish. They had handguns, rifles and shotguns; so do we. The First Amendment doesn't cease to apply because we invented high-speed printing presses.

Quote:
What it does show is conservatives really care nothing about judicial activism, so long as the activism rules in favor of their pet issues.
Applying an explicit amendment to all the People is the farthest thing from judicial activism. Not applying it, reading clear language out of the Constitution, would have been judicial activism.

Old 06-28-2010, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
A convicted felon cannot obtain a FOID.
Odd you say that. Look for a challenge to the FOID.

One does not need a permit to exercise a right.

Old 06-28-2010, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoking357 View Post
Odd you say that. Look for a challenge to the FOID.

One does not need a permit to exercise a right.
To buy ammo in a store in Illinois you need an Illinois FOID or one from another state.

Old 06-28-2010, 04:52 PM

Quote:
To buy ammo in a store in Illinois you need an Illinois FOID or one from another state.
You missed the thrust of my post. One ought not have to seek a permit to exercise a right.

As an aside, as I live across the border, I don't need any sort of permit to buy ammo from an Illinois gun shop.

Old 06-28-2010, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoking357 View Post
...As an aside, as I live across the border, I don't need any sort of permit to buy ammo from an Illinois gun shop.
Don't they take down your information though?

Old 06-28-2010, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Don't they take down your information though?
Nope.

Old 06-28-2010, 05:31 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,753,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hank0604 View Post
If anything, this will cause crime rates to go up, because more households will have guns, and more domestic violence cases will end with a gunshot (I know that's a stretch, but no more so than the assertion that we will see a dramatic decrease in crimes because "Chicagoans can protect themselves...").

Hank, I don't care if crimes go up; I don't see a need to justify my rights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago