Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2008, 07:35 PM

381 posts, read 837,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
I'm glad you do appreciate it. Thats usually all a teacher is asking for. It makes all the difference in the world.

In fact I find some sort of power trip pleasure in knowing I have influence over the grade of students who have an attitude and expect to be entertained and not put forth effort. This actually makes urban/suburban culture more likeable. I get paid to influence others the way they should be influenced.
Huh-uh. Scaring the crap outa students definitely works. I never understood students that expect to get a good grade just because. The student needs to get the correct answer and better yet understand the material to in order to get anything out of the class. Kinda reminds me of the kid who sits next to me in my sociology class; he's arrogant beyond belief, too bad he received a 70 on the first exam that a freshman in high school could've taken and aced.

Last edited by nJohn; 11-09-2008 at 07:45 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2008, 11:13 AM

774 posts, read 2,488,486 times
Here's the main difference between people that live in Chicagoland versus Metro Detroit: people that live in the Chicago suburbs generally look at Chicago as an asset, while people that live in the Detroit suburbs generally look at Detroit as a liability. I'm sure we can all point out anecdotal examples that contradict this point (i.e. some old stereotype of a scared lady from DuPage County that won't venture downtown because she's scared of all the supposed crime), but I'm just pointing out my general feeling of having lived in the Chicago area for most of my life and knowing plenty of Michigan transplants. If you see something as an asset, you're more likely to want to identify with it (i.e. the suburbanite that calls himself a "Chicagoan"), while if you look at something as a liability, you're more likely to want to disassociate from it (i.e. Oakland County vs. the city of Detroit).

At the same time, I do think there is a bit of a cultural difference between suburbs of Chicago and places that are close to similarly liberal cities versus those of places like Atlanta and Houston. While suburban Chicago certainly has conservative underpinnings historically, that has changed dramatically in the last decade at least in terms of politics - the voting patterns of the Chicago area look a whole lot more like the East Coast and West Coast metro areas versus other Midwestern cities. Even before Obama provided his coattails, all of the collar counties have become increasingly more Democratic (whether that's a good thing is a discussion for another forum). Like the East Coast and West Coast metro areas, the Chicago suburbs have conservatism more toward the fiscal side as opposed to the social side - suburbanites certainly go to church in decent numbers, but this is not something that is worn on people's sleeves and they aren't as swayed by the hot button social issues like abortion and gay marriage (that's not to say that those people don't exist in the suburbs, but they are a vocal minority as opposed to a dominant majority). This is largely in line with the suburbs around New York, LA, San Francisco, etc. - they have turned from Republican strongholds to either battleground areas or even clear Democratic majorities. This is also in contrast with suburban areas in the South, Texas, and even other places in the Midwest - cultural conservatism is still very prominent in those areas, where a person asking "Where do you go to church?" upon meeting someone new is considered to be a perfectly normal question. That type of question would be likely be looked as very awkward or even rude in the Chicago suburbs. I think that there's something of a "gravitational pull" from the culture of the city that anchors a metro area - it is true that suburbs are generally more conservative than cities no matter where you go, but the extent to which those suburbs are conservative depends upon how culturally conservative or liberal the cities that they are next to are.

Old 11-11-2008, 11:26 AM

11,973 posts, read 31,635,920 times
Good post.

Since leaving my parents house out of high school, my adult life has largely been lived in three midwestern cities: Madison, Milwaukee, and Chicago--with Chicago being the longest interval. In all of these cities, I don't think I've EVER been asked "where do you go to church". Even up across the border in Wisconisn, this would be considered rude or presumptuous.

Old 11-16-2008, 08:11 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,782,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthera View Post
Its not a very sophisticated place. The things you mentioned are very nice but irrelevent. Science is not culture. I've spent time in Houston, really nice people, not a world class city.
>
Exactly what kind of culture are you talking about?

Houston Pavilions (http://www.houstonpavilions.com/project-houston.php - broken link) - Houston facts:

Houston is ranked as the fourth best restaurant city in the United States by Wine Spectator and Esquire magazines

Houston is one of the most ethnically diverse cities in the United States - with 83 consulates, Houston has the third largest consular corps in the nation

Houston is one of only three cities in the United States with standing year-round symphony, opera and ballet. New York and San Francisco are the other two cities.

Houston has the second largest volume of theatre and performance art space (in terms of square footage) in the United States ranking only behind New York

Houston ranks third in the nation in terms of the volume of fine arts museum space

The Houston Museum of Natural Science is the fourth most visited museum in the United States, ranking only behind the Smithsonian Institute, the Metropolitan Museum of Art, and the American Museum of Natural Science

global city: Definition from Answers.com

Houston ranked at the same level as D.C. and Boston on this "world cities" list.

Old 11-16-2008, 08:32 PM

1,915 posts, read 7,963,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
Exactly what kind of culture are you talking about?

Houston Pavilions (http://www.houstonpavilions.com/project-houston.php - broken link) - Houston facts:

Houston is ranked as the fourth best restaurant city in the United States by Wine Spectator and Esquire magazines

Houston is one of the most ethnically diverse cities in the United States - with 83 consulates, Houston has the third largest consular corps in the nation

Houston is one of only three cities in the United States with standing year-round symphony, opera and ballet. New York and San Francisco are the other two cities.

Houston has the second largest volume of theatre and performance art space (in terms of square footage) in the United States ranking only behind New York

Houston ranks third in the nation in terms of the volume of fine arts museum space

The Houston Museum of Natural Science is the fourth most visited museum in the United States, ranking only behind the Smithsonian Institute, the Metropolitan Museum of Art, and the American Museum of Natural Science

global city: Definition from Answers.com

Houston ranked at the same level as D.C. and Boston on this "world cities" list.
Thanks for posting this great information, as I'm going to Houston in April, and this really gets me excited about my trip.

Old 11-16-2008, 08:36 PM

1,104 posts, read 1,511,385 times
Quote:
Does it seem that girls (in their 20s and 30s) from Michigan think Chicago is the promised land even more than most people.

Seriously, most people who love Chicago talk about pros and cons, etc. Maybe theres some other places they might like to live.

But girls from Michigan absolutely worship Chicago. (and often bad mouth Michigan). Guys from Michigan like Chicago it seems too, but they're not ga-ga, and they generally have good things to say about Michigan.

Does anyone besides me notice this, or is it pure coincidence?
Well Chicago is a major city, you know how chicks are, they are attracted to anything that shines. Maybe to them Chicago is shinier than Detroit. Especially the women of the mentioned age group. Thats the "Sex in the City" wannabes crowd. I don't think its a coincidence, just a bunch of lost chicks, you could probably say the same thing for girls from St. Louis, Cleveland or Minneapolis.

Old 11-16-2008, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkylittleton View Post
I think Chicago being the largest city the tri-state border, I think you have some people suffering from "big-city dreamin." And other people have no problem staying in their small hometown so Chicago would be the next logical step.
Yea I agree...."big city dreaming"

Old 11-16-2008, 08:44 PM

838 posts, read 3,086,361 times
Nice.
New York City-the Holy Land
Chicago-the Promised Land
Detroit-the Wasted Land
San Francisco-the Liberal Land
Washington DC-the Doomed Land
Los Angeles-the Fake Land

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolyfett View Post
Well Chicago is a major city, you know how chicks are, they are attracted to anything that shines. Maybe to them Chicago is shinier than Detroit. Especially the women of the mentioned age group. Thats the "Sex in the City" wannabes crowd. I don't think its a coincidence, just a bunch of lost chicks, you could probably say the same thing for girls from St. Louis, Cleveland or Minneapolis.

Old 11-16-2008, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Is New York ever the magnet city for kids in the New England states? After all, New York is much bigger than Boston.
I think NYC would pull from Jersey, CT and NY state, maybe some parts of Penn as well.

Old 11-16-2008, 10:45 PM

838 posts, read 3,086,361 times
NYC pulls from NJ, PA, CT, NY, DC, VA, MD, DE, NH, MA, VT, RI, CA, and some other 150 countries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolyfett View Post
I think NYC would pull from Jersey, CT and NY state, maybe some parts of Penn as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago