Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2008, 08:55 PM

190 posts, read 982,308 times

Advertisements

Today was my first day of work in Hyde Park at the U of C. I moved into my apartment at State and Delaware a few days ago and figured the quickest way, by car, to get down there would be to take State south to Chicago and head toward the Lake and the LSD. When I got there, I found that the Chicago Avenue access to the LSD was closed off so I followed the Inner Drive as far down as it would go and headed back west to Fairbanks where I then took that south to Columbus and picked up the LSD off Lower Wacker.

Is this my only option? Are practically all the access points to the LSD closed during the AM rush except for a few? On my way south from Lower Wacker, I noticed that most other roads were open.

Oh, and do the lights at the top of the Hancock mean anything? Last night they were all white but tonight they were red, white, and blue.

Thanks.

Loving the city so far. Except for the large number of spiders that seem to be populating my window (on the outside of the building).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2008, 09:19 PM

2,467 posts, read 12,246,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Castro Viejo View Post
Today was my first day of work in Hyde Park at the U of C. I moved into my apartment at State and Delaware a few days ago and figured the quickest way, by car, to get down there would be to take State south to Chicago and head toward the Lake and the LSD. When I got there, I found that the Chicago Avenue access to the LSD was closed off so I followed the Inner Drive as far down as it would go and headed back west to Fairbanks where I then took that south to Columbus and picked up the LSD off Lower Wacker.

Is this my only option? Are practically all the access points to the LSD closed during the AM rush except for a few? On my way south from Lower Wacker, I noticed that most other roads were open.

Oh, and do the lights at the top of the Hancock mean anything? Last night they were all white but tonight they were red, white, and blue.

Thanks.

Loving the city so far. Except for the large number of spiders that seem to be populating my window (on the outside of the building).
The lights change on top depending on the season, etc. So, they are red white and blue for the fourth. The only real access point that I can think of that is closed during rush is the one at Chicago. Any other entrance will be fine.

Old 06-30-2008, 10:17 PM

10 posts, read 19,902 times
You could also take Michigan Ave, south to Wacker. Make a left on Wacker and go east to the entrance for LSD on lower Wacker (stay in the left lane). Once on lower Wacker make a right at the first stop light, that should put you on south Lake Shore Drive. The lights on the top of th JH Center don't neccessarily mean anything, they just change the color to coordinate with the festivities going on in the city. I.e, Red/white/blue lights = July 4th. Pink = Breast Cancer Awareness Month/ the Avon Walk. Red = Valentine's Day, etc. Since they don't spell things out with the lights like other buildings, this the the JH Center's way of getting in the fun. Good luck with your commute!

Old 06-30-2008, 11:11 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,789,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JillC2185 View Post
You could also take Michigan Ave, south to Wacker. Make a left on Wacker and go east to the entrance for LSD on lower Wacker (stay in the left lane). Once on lower Wacker make a right at the first stop light, that should put you on south Lake Shore Drive. The lights on the top of th JH Center don't neccessarily mean anything, they just change the color to coordinate with the festivities going on in the city. I.e, Red/white/blue lights = July 4th. Pink = Breast Cancer Awareness Month/ the Avon Walk. Red = Valentine's Day, etc. Since they don't spell things out with the lights like other buildings, this the the JH Center's way of getting in the fun. Good luck with your commute!
Or you can get on at Illinois (it's the same place where Grand Avenue exits LSD near Navy Pier), which is a number of blocks north of Wacker. But Wacker rarely has any traffic on it between Michigan and LSD, so it's a good choice.

Old 07-01-2008, 01:23 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,176,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Castro Viejo View Post
A number of buildings downtown (most notably the Hancock, Merchandise Mart, and lights illuminating the Sears Tower antennae) change their exterior light schemes according to holiday or other occasion. Common themes are orange for October/November, red and green for December, yellow and light blue for Easter, pink for breast cancer awareness week/month/whatever, red or red and white for Valentine's Day, Red white and blue for the 4th of July, and green for St. Patrick's Day. Default setting is white.

Last edited by Drover; 07-01-2008 at 01:45 AM..

Old 07-06-2008, 10:00 AM

190 posts, read 982,308 times
Thanks all! I've gotten pretty used to the commute by now taking Fairbanks off Chicago Avenue down to Columbus, picking up Lower Wacker, and then getting onto the LSD to head South. I just wish there was some way of bypassing those pesky traffic lights around Grant Park (it would probably save me at least 5 minutes).

I did notice the lights on the Merch Mart turned to red, white, and blue. It's pretty cool. During the Taste the other night I noticed some buildings along the Randolph border of Grant Park/Millenium Park spelled out "CFD Picnic." I think the Aon Center and one of the other office buildings next door were involved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: