U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-01-2008, 02:02 PM

56 posts, read 68,547 times
Default Is the red line safe from the loop to us cellular field?

Another Sox safety question from me! About 20 years ago I rode the red line to old Comiskey Park....back in the day when their attendance wasn't too good. My friend had his pocket picked and that tainted my feelings of the red line going south from the loop. I've heard that many people ride the red line to Sox games these days. Can anyone verify this for me? Would you say that it's safe to take the red line to a Sox game? Again...I appreciate the helpful info!!!!
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2008, 02:07 PM

10,329 posts, read 17,441,785 times
It's safe unless you are from Iowa. Those CTA riders can smell that out from three trains cars away.

Sorry for the ribbing, but I couldn't resist after seeing your screen name. It's generally pretty safe, yes. You do always have to watch your back on the Red Line no matter what part of town you are in, however.

Old 07-01-2008, 02:41 PM

1,967 posts, read 3,673,082 times
I haven't had any problem at all on the Red line since one unpleasant episode in 1985 (going farther south than Cellular). As far as I can tell nothing seems to ever happen and no one pays any attention to me. I wouldn't worry at all about going downtown to 35th. Much better chance you'll get hit by a car in the loop or something similar.

Old 07-01-2008, 02:47 PM

4,291 posts, read 5,844,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iowahawk1 View Post
Another Sox safety question from me! About 20 years ago I rode the red line to old Comiskey Park....back in the day when their attendance wasn't too good. My friend had his pocket picked and that tainted my feelings of the red line going south from the loop. I've heard that many people ride the red line to Sox games these days. Can anyone verify this for me? Would you say that it's safe to take the red line to a Sox game? Again...I appreciate the helpful info!!!!
Riding it to a Sox game is no different than riding it to a Cubs game.

It gets very crowded, so know where your wallet and cellphone are. Other than that, enjoy the ride with the other thousands who've joined you on your voyage.

Old 07-01-2008, 03:38 PM

569 posts, read 1,146,259 times
Watch out if you wear a Cubs hat. I was in the jackson red line station going to china-town with my GF and I was hearing comments and snickers from a few people and i looked back. There were two thugs wearing Sox hats. After making eye contact I ignored them (seriously whats the point) and let a few minutes pass by the insults became louder and personal. It was obvious that they were looking for a fight. My GF pulled me down the station to avoid any serious confrontation. Be on the watchout for similar idiocy.

Old 07-01-2008, 08:01 PM

2,167 posts, read 3,244,025 times
Wow, I'm surprised that so many people have had problems with this little trip. I usually get on at Jackson and have zero problems. I tend to worry about how hairy things would get from the 95th/Dan Ryan stop to Sox 35th.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago