Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What grocery store do Chicagoans shop most?
Jewel 73 51.41%
Aldi 15 10.56%
Sam's, Super Walmart 6 4.23%
Meijer 3 2.11%
Super Target 9 6.34%
Tony's 7 4.93%
Cosco 9 6.34%
Food 4 less 3 2.11%
other 46 32.39%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 142. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 01:51 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,467,731 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipcromer View Post
Agreed, I really miss Schnucks and Dierbergs in St. Louis.
Me too!

Hell at least I never bought rotten meat (as I have 3 times from the Jewel in WP) from Shop 'n Save! I'll bag my own groceries any day if I can just have quality food at a decent price!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2009, 01:53 PM

1,953 posts, read 4,939,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damage Control Freak View Post
You really think Jewel is so much cheaper? I always got reasonable prices on staples like Coke or Oreos etc. with my Dominicks card just as well.
And when it comes to fresh produce Jewel totally sucks. Dominicks isn't really great either, but better nonetheless.
For alot of things they are, but Im also not a very 'smart' shopper and dont really buy stuff based on sales. It was small stuff I noticed last time I went. For example a thing of towels was 2 bucks more expensive at Dominicks, coffee was another buck and change, bottle of wine was another 2 bucks... I didnt go down my reciept and compare item to item so it may just be coinceidence that I notice a few items were more expenisve. Just my .02. But yes both places do suck for produce, Domincks has a slight edge in my opinion

Old 04-21-2009, 01:59 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,695,954 times
Yeah, Food4Less is actually a KROGER store! They got the 32oz Kroger egg food substitute there for maybe $3.80, when an equivalent Egg Beaters at Jewel's is like $6.80! The Kroger egg food substitute is AWESOME because it cooks hassle free egg omelets that don't have to be turned over to cook!

I think it's Dollar General? There is a store that's $1 stuff at the Melrose Park Plaza that has a Best Buy, Marshalls, and Dress Barn. They got $1 Texas Toast and cheap but good candies there!

Old 04-21-2009, 02:05 PM

1,912 posts, read 5,416,712 times
eww, egg food substitute? couldn't they call it something more appetizing.

Old 04-21-2009, 02:21 PM

1,817 posts, read 4,905,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by surlycue View Post
SUPER FUN egg food substitute.

Old 04-21-2009, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by surlycue View Post
It is TOTALLY WORTH IT! 1 egg = 79% daily value of cholesterol! I met a guyy at a store who had a heart attack and heart problem because he admitted he loves and ate TOO MUCH EGG! So if you're an egg lover, you must use EGG SUBSTITUTE as it is WAY HEALTHIER!

And that Kroger 32oz $3.58 egg substitute from Food 4 Less on Cicero and North Ave is the best, and a great value! Ultra healthy too! I take pleasure in cooking lots of my own omelets this way! Sure beats expensive $8 cheesesteak omelet meals at Waffle House!

Check out my Food Shopping Pic! - I take pic to compare prices at store to know which place is cheapest! Real handy to carry around a Casio Exilim very pocket portable camera!
Attached Thumbnails
What Grocery store do Chicagoans shop most-food4less-egg-product.jpg  

Old 04-21-2009, 02:38 PM

1,003 posts, read 2,418,048 times
I like them because I only eat egg whites.
It beats separating the white from the yolk every time you cook.

Old 04-21-2009, 03:00 PM

Hey MyssaTX - why do you want to move to Chicago? Houston is WAY BETTER!

But Chicago nightlife and hangouts to meet people and Lake Shore Drive Park is way better!

I couldn't pm you unless you make me a friend!

Old 04-21-2009, 03:17 PM

1,817 posts, read 4,905,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
I couldn't pm you unless you make me a friend!
Take that as a hint.

Old 04-21-2009, 04:43 PM

425 posts, read 1,431,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
It is TOTALLY WORTH IT! 1 egg = 79% daily value of cholesterol! I met a guyy at a store who had a heart attack and heart problem because he admitted he loves and ate TOO MUCH EGG! So if you're an egg lover, you must use EGG SUBSTITUTE as it is WAY HEALTHIER!

And that Kroger 32oz $3.58 egg substitute from Food 4 Less on Cicero and North Ave is the best, and a great value! Ultra healthy too! I take pleasure in cooking lots of my own omelets this way! Sure beats expensive $8 cheesesteak omelet meals at Waffle House!

Check out my Food Shopping Pic! - I take pic to compare prices at store to know which place is cheapest! Real handy to carry around a Casio Exilim very pocket portable camera!
The protein benefits from eggs far outweigh any cholesterol side effects. No doctor in the world recommends egg substitutes over actual eggs. There is nothing nutritionally wrong with 4-5 eggs a week. If you're that afraid of cholesterol, just separate the yolks.

Anyway, I don't think there's much of a price difference between Jewel and Dominick's. The store brand stuff is about the same at each place, and the discount card prices at each store are very similar. I shop at Dominick's, and my grocery bill is about $120 a week before savings, about $65-70 after the card savings. And the shopping experience is a lot better at Dominick's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago