Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2008, 02:18 PM

7,041 posts, read 15,039,953 times

Advertisements

hi, everyone...I am a Chicago-born transplant that moved south to get away from the crime. Now, Charlotte (NC) has such a huge gang problem that we have become the focus of an Federal Government (FBI) investigation. Our biggest problems here have been the ostrich-in-the-sand approach that our gov't has taken up until the last few years. I saw gang tagging when I moved here in 1989 and was told..."NO, Charlotte doesn't have gangs!" Later, they developed a gang task force of 1 (yes, one) for the city, population at the time about 300k. (our populatin now is around 600k and growing) Just last year, the state of NC voted down legislation making gang activity a felony offense saying that our problem isn't "that bad". Now that the Feds are involved, we MIGHT get some relief.

The other issue that we have are the gang wanna-bes who are not real gangs but want to act like they are. They are very stupid, but, dangerous in that they are really irratic in their behaviour. With real gangs, if you live in their hood and you don't bother them, you usually are ok. Not with the wanna-bes. They have no clue. Yes, they get arrested, but, with our lax laws here, they are out in a week or so...to do it all over again. The cops estimate that a local crime ring (whose headquarters are a 1/2 block from my house) generates anywhere from $10-$20k weekly in stolen goods. So, if one of them goes to jail and maybe pays a fine of $5k, it is nothing. This has become their job.

Seriously thinking of moving back to the city. there really does not seem to be an escape.

Old 07-05-2008, 09:28 AM

210 posts, read 1,139,543 times
New York City is one of the safest cities in this country especially for its size. Yes there are various ghettos but their pretty easy to avoid. As for LA, if Chicago's gangs are any worse than L.A's than I don't see how the city functions because its crazy over there

Old 07-30-2008, 10:47 AM

258 posts, read 1,650,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noid_1985 View Post
In fact Chicago, to the best of my knowledge doesn't have Bloods and Crips like LA and New York
You are right. ........... When the both the Crips and the Bloods tryed to set up a branch in Chicago they were shot up by our hometown Black gangs - Black Gangster Disciples, Vicelords, Micky Cobras, Black Disciples, New Breed Disciples, El Rukns.

They will never be allowed to set up here in the Windy City because the native gangs are way too entrenched.

Old 08-01-2008, 04:01 PM

127 posts, read 442,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluchidog View Post
People say Los Angeles is the gang capital in this country and have the worse gang problem, and they say New York is the grimy city. With all the recent gang related shootings & murders in Chicago, do you think Chicago have a worser gang problem than LA & NYC ?
No I don't but I think we do have more organized gangs than New York and LA

Old 08-01-2008, 09:03 PM

2,541 posts, read 11,335,406 times
Does chicago have a problem with hispanic gangs, since the wiki says chicago has the second most mexicans in USA

In LA the mex gangs are having a race war with the blacks

Is that the case in Chicago

Old 08-01-2008, 09:11 PM

4,079 posts, read 10,395,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Chutzpah View Post
Does chicago have a problem with hispanic gangs, since the wiki says chicago has the second most mexicans in USA

In LA the mex gangs are having a race war with the blacks

Is that the case in Chicago
Yeah, but they arent as bad as they black ones (with exception of the Latin Kings)

other hispanic gangs: 2 (TWO)6 (SIX), spanish cobras, eagles......

Old 08-01-2008, 09:17 PM

990 posts, read 3,186,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWingFan View Post
I can't log into the site because I'm at work & they have it blocked...
But this site has a current list of all the chicago gangs.

ChicagoGangs.org
Now I know where all the gangs in my suburb are.

Old 08-02-2008, 11:39 AM

8,425 posts, read 12,185,391 times
Default Think about it.

What many folks don't realize is that there was more gang crime in Chicago and more gang murders in the 1920's and thirties than there are now. So that lends a little perspective to the discussion.

Old 08-03-2008, 01:03 AM

127 posts, read 442,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humboldt1 View Post
I don't think Humboldt Park is anti-semitic. A lot of people think I am Jewish based upon my dark hair and pointy nose (I am swiss and german baptist) and I work in banking and have a swiss last name that sounds Jewish. I have never had a problem with anti-semitism or seen it with anyone else.

Humboldt Park is certainly anit-gentrification, particularly with the Puerto Ricans on the eastern side of the park.

There is a significant gang problem in Humboldt Park but generally if you leave them alone they will leave you alone. Still, I wish they did not exist and hope the CPD continues to harrass them and in general flush them out to twart their activities, even if that be just hanging out on street corners.
Now That expains everything about you, That why you are so terrifed of the south side................. I also agree with you on the ganag problem in Homboldt Park, they don't mess you with unless you start acting like you going to do something tough, but that's everywhere in the Chicagoland area

Old 08-03-2008, 05:29 AM

409 posts, read 1,518,107 times
I have been doing a lot of research on Los Angeles and would it surprise you to know that Los Angeles' crime rate is about half that of Chicago's? The gang problem in Los Angeles is dissapearing. Los Angeles is very safe and New York safer. Chicago is by far the least safe of the big three if not the big ten. Sorry :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago