U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-04-2008, 08:43 PM

210 posts, read 809,779 times
Default Is the Southside really that bad?

Southside Chicago get an infamous reputation from the media. Is it really that bad? I think it makes up like 60% of the city so is most of Chicago dangerous or is their just more working class immigrants on the southside?

Old 07-04-2008, 09:03 PM

2,062 posts, read 3,568,193 times
Well, I know I've lost track of how many times I've been killed!

I would say yes and no. Some of the city's most dangerous neighborhoods are there, but there are also plenty of stable, middle class neighborhoods on the South Side. On the other hand, Chatham is a well kept middle class neighborhood which I've always assumed was relatively safe. Looking at the actual crime stats recently, it's pretty shocking. It's actually not a very safe community. Also, many neighborhoods that would have a very low crime rate tend to see a bit more crime then a community in say, DuPage County, because of the proximity to high crime areas. Still, I don't have any great concerns about safety. Check the crime stats, avoid the highest crime areas, you'll almost certainly be fine.

Old 07-04-2008, 09:20 PM

3,108 posts, read 4,837,735 times
Yes, the over half the reported crimes are on th southside, as well the westside too. There are good neigborhoods like Beverly, Mt. Greenwood, Hyde Park, Kenwood, and some on the southwestside, but most of the high retail districts and shopping districts are either downtown and the northside.

Old 07-05-2008, 06:29 AM

781 posts, read 1,330,024 times
There's a mixture of good and bad and it varies block by block. You'll have a clump of beautiful neighborhoods ie West Chesterfield, Chatham, Jackson Park Highlands (my favorite), parts of South Shore, parts of South Chicago, Pill Hill, etc that are surrounded by the pits of Hell. My neighborhood is very nice but because it shares a zip code with the bs that goes on on 83rd, 87th, and 93rd street, it will also share the bad rep. Jackson Park Highlands will share the bad rep with 71st and 67th street. So unless you grew up here or actually came to see for yourself, you'll never know.

Old 07-05-2008, 10:49 AM

2,167 posts, read 3,288,377 times
Agreed. As I've said before, the scenery changes quick, and you have crappy neighborhoods next to great neighborhoods. I've been checking out Beverly a lot lately, and as soon as you cross Vincennes, things get rough in a hurry- like entering a new city. You can certainly see this as you drive east on 63rd starting in Clearing. You move to Westlawn which is so-so, then into Marquette Park, which is kind of meh. Then you get into West englewood and englewood which speak for themselves.

I would say the near south side is pretty decent, most of the sw side is ok further west, and the s.e. side has been discussed by ParkerP. I'm not hesitating to live here, but people definitely need to do there homework and drive/walk the southside a lot before they buy. I've been doing this for about a month, and I've got most of the SW side and near southside covered. I have no desire to live in the s.e. side, so I'm skipping that.

Old 07-05-2008, 10:54 AM

7 posts, read 40,261 times
The south side is 95% black community . Why would you want to move to a place where one block is ok , and one block over it's bad .
You have to drive to your house . Meaning you will have to drive down or pass that "Bad" block .

You are better off living in the northwest burbs or the far west burbs of the city .

Old 07-05-2008, 11:16 AM

Most known good neighorhoods are good for the entire 'hood- so let's say 10 blocks worth of 'hood is alright. So what if a good part of the southside is black? Does that make it a wasteland? Did you know black people live in Beverly in harmony with white people? Shocking, I know.

Old 07-05-2008, 11:18 AM

9,258 posts, read 11,441,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyMotorcycle View Post
The south side is 95% black community .

95%!?! Are you sure about that?

Old 07-05-2008, 11:22 AM

1,253 posts, read 1,361,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyMotorcycle View Post
The south side is 95% black community

Okay, that's not true, but even if it was, what's your point?

Old 07-05-2008, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERS-One View Post
Okay, that's not true, but even if it was, what's your point?
I believe he was trying to equate high populations of blacks with high crime and undesirability.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago