U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-16-2008, 03:11 PM

1,703 posts, read 3,659,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
I'm originally from Wisconsin, but have lived in Chicago for many years. Other than gentle ribbing about the Packers or Brewers, no one in Chicago really cares if a person is from Wisconsin. There are so many people in Chicago from surrounding states that it's pretty commonplace.

In fact, the thing I hear about Milwaukee most often is that people are surprised by how nice it is. A surprising number of co-workers have recently made weekend trips to Milwaukee, and they always come back with nice things to say. The general attitude about Madison seems to be pretty positive as well.
Simple enough of a thread, with the standard holier than thou responses until this intelligent one.

Have lived in both cities...

Madison gets a lot of Chicagoans to attend school there, as does Marquette.

Milwaukee is a nice place, a good place. It doesn't do a good enough job of marketing itself to outsiders.

Lots of Chicagoans have relocated to Milwaukee and many more visit with regularity and vice versa. All one would have to do is attend Irish Fest in Milwaukee, or Marquette basketball season ticket holders driving back on the highway, or insert Milwaukee event here, or all the people tired of the traffic and other things that move to Milwaukee, or all the Milwaukeeans who move to or visit the bigger city and its opportunities.

To the orginal poster, there isn't any animosity from the vast majority of people. You will however, always find a few bad eggs in any group, anwywhere, on any topic.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2008, 08:15 PM

15,589 posts, read 12,398,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
^^And those 400 jobs are pretty much all going to be already filled jobs since they're just the execs of the two companies moving from Milwaukee and Denver... there may well be some turnover of folks who don't want to leave their city, but that pretty much means that no one in Chicago is going to have the benefit of a new job opportunity (but we'll all be paying for it anyway).
Exactly. Great post.

Old 07-16-2008, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
Let me guess... You went to a club, talked to some women, and nearly got thrown out--and now you hate Chicago. Triton01, is that you again?
Or womaninchicago ...

Old 07-17-2008, 08:53 AM

18,951 posts, read 49,532,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishtacos View Post
Simple enough of a thread, with the standard holier than thou responses until this intelligent one.
Apparently some people cant pick up sarcasm/friendly banter?

Old 07-19-2008, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Apparently some people cant pick up sarcasm/friendly banter?
You should go read some of the stupid ignorant crap that is posted in the Wisconsin forums.

Check this gem out
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBiloxi View Post
I for one am appalled, shocked and outraged of Miller-Coors decision to relocate to Chicago...of all places.
First of all...Milwaukee, to most people, means Beer. Coors should have been delighted that Miller was already established here in what many believe to be the Beer Capital of the World (even if we don't produce the most anymore).
To me, this is all about image, and Milwaukee does not need to be tarnished by having Miller-Coors move to its biggest suburb, Chicago. This is an absolute insult, and I am amazed at how lightly everyone is taking this. Especially considering the rivarely between the two cities. This is the ultimate slap in the face and every self respecting Milwaukean should take this as the afront that it is!
What really gets me going is how the local news reports so easily state, and seem to accept that one of the reasons Miller-Coors choose Chicago is for its "world class" designation. Who says its world class anyway, I certainly do not! Who determines its world class designation? Are they more world class than Milwaukee because they have more people, crime and traffic? I would love to have anyone enlighten me on the windy cities world classness and debate on how it is more world class than Milwaukee, or offers anything over Milwaukee that the majority of people truly care about, (please don't talk about shopping, most peope do not shop at Nieman's), or how Miller-Coors will be served, as a corporate office, any better than if it were to stay in the Beer Capital of the World?
I am not a beer drinker, so I can't even boycott the product, but beer drinkers should, and there should be a conglomeration of people protesting this move...and I don't care how many more jobs are supposedly coming from this move. Again, I think this has everything to do with image, and choosing Chicago over Milwaukee shows what an ignorant corporate culture this new company has.
Is there anyway we can change the name of our new stadium?
Now here is a real reason to hate certain people from Milwaukee or Biloxi or wherever the hell they are from.

Last edited by Avengerfire; 07-19-2008 at 06:00 PM..

Old 07-19-2008, 08:36 PM

35,926 posts, read 55,158,806 times
If there's a rivalry between Chicago and Milwaukee, it's the most one-way rivalry I've ever heard of.

Old 07-19-2008, 11:47 PM

4,028 posts, read 4,103,741 times
They chose Chicago because it is a neutral site between the two. If anything Milwaukee should be happy that it's in Chicago and not suburban Dallas.

Old 07-20-2008, 08:57 AM

10,329 posts, read 17,441,785 times
I kind of doubt that someone named "MrBiloxi" is a real Milwaukeean. Switch the word "rivalry" with "inferiority complex", and that post makes complete sense from a psychological perspective. But you should be able to understand that the loss of a brewery headquarters from a town that was once the brewery capital of the U.S. would be a difficult blow to take for Milwaukee.

Here's the thing that people are confused about with Miller-Coors. It is NOT a merger of the two breweries. It's a separate joint venture that will exist in conjunction with Miller and Coors. Miller and Coors will both keep their individual corporate headquarters in Milwaukee and Colorado. Only 175 jobs will actually be lost in Milwaukee as a result of this.

Old 07-20-2008, 11:14 AM

Not to mention there is nothing stoping some or most of these executives that were based in Milwaukee from continuing to live in Milwaukee and commuting to Chicago if they chose to.They could even have housing in both places if they prefer. I am sure most of them can afford it.

I understand the psychological blow it is to Milwaukee,but they have to march on and find creative ways to boost the city up in other ways.

Old 07-21-2008, 10:16 PM

127 posts, read 300,085 times
I don't hate Milwaukee niether do I care if they hate Chicago. Many other little town look up to Chicago so much they even name themselves after us such as; North Chicago, East Chicago and West Chicago. And even they have a little spite against us, so as for Milwaukee, they can get in line behind the rest of them with the hating....lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago