Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2008, 03:17 PM

220 posts, read 475,485 times

Advertisements

I have been going to HP on Sunday to have breakfast and I really love the area. I live in Linc. Park and I cannot stand it. Nor do I like Lakeview. HP seems to be very progressive and very,very diverse. The vibe is really cool and hip.

I am thinking of moving to HP. Any thoughts and views.

LV and LP just don't have that much in terms of diversity, at least not enough to satisfy my tastes.........I don't want to live in Rogers or Edgewater either. I like HP because of the large number of blacks that live there as well as whites and others. It seems like a good far mix.

BTW, I am new to Chicago( 1 year ago this month)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2008, 03:35 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,609,770 times
There are 11 Hyde Park threads listed in this thread alone :
Read This First- ?'s About Neighborhoods Or Moving To Chicago (or FOOD!)? Read This Before Asking Your Questions!

Do a search of this forum.

Old 07-13-2008, 04:36 PM

6 posts, read 29,667 times
I don't frequent this forum a lot; so I just checked out some of the other Chicago/Hyde Park threads... and I just want to say that crime happens mostly because people are uneducated and/or without access to effective opportunity [which leads to deprivation and desperate circumstances], not because they are born a certain color.

-------------

I suppose Lakeview or LincPark aren't as diverse, but they are kind of the "go-to" locations for many new Chicagoans, visitors, etc... to each his/her own, though

But you're right, Hyde Park is quite diverse and has a bit of a "cool" vibe, lol. It's also very congested (as to be expected with any hip, desirable area I guess
It's one of the south sides affluent areas, real estate is not cheap and parking can be a challenge.

Residents include politicians, musicians, artisans, a nice eclectic mix.
It's right off of the lake, 10 mins. away from practically everything: downtown/loop, parks, museums, and pet friendly, etc.
Bronzeville is it's neighbor to the west-- it is a "re"-developing area; in the midst of trying to recapture it's former historical glory, reenergized with a new generation. That of course, will take time though; but people are buying up the real estate, so that is a good sign.

Hyde Park is a pretty nice area, but behave like you are in the city, not Mayberry and you will be fine.

Have a great time in Chicago

Old 07-19-2008, 08:29 PM

1,367 posts, read 5,740,440 times
I have been living in Lakeview for 2 years and hate it! I have friends that just moved to Hyde Park, a ways north of the University on Blackwell, and I love it there! Unfortunately when I moved here I was commuting up north for work, but I could do it over again it would definately be in HP. The people there are friendly, more of a community feel, more independent businesses (of all kinds, not just expensive clothing boutiques). It's much more racially diverse, which is a welcome change; I am white and up here it seems like people of different races or cultures just don't mingle as much, I think down there it would be possible to have a less homogeneous group of friends.

PS - nice to hear someone else who's tired of the Lakeview/LP area!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago