Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 10:12 PM

16 posts, read 52,429 times

Advertisements

I need to play some basketball without resorting to going back to the suburbs. Any good places to ball (Outdoor or in / Pick-up or organized) in the city?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2008, 11:53 PM

4,079 posts, read 10,346,769 times
South Side-
63rd Hayes Dr.- Jackson Park
55th-57th st.- Washington Park
Between 31st & 35th st.- Lake Shore Drive

West Side-
Jackson& Central- Columbus Park
North Ave& California- Humboldt Park
X sport fitness- Narragansett & fullerton/Grand w/o pass $10

North Side-
Loyola Park
Northeastern Illinois University- Foster & St.Louis $5 cover

Western burbs-
Memorial Park- Bellwood
Memorial Park- LaGrange Park
Schroeder Park- Broadview
Broadview Park District- Sundays Only $5

Some of the courts are in areas that are kinda "rough" but the people who are there are there to play ball just as you are.

Old 07-15-2008, 12:00 AM

15,585 posts, read 27,438,384 times
"Some" are "kinda" rough? Many of these are in a ghetto. Want to get shot over a game of B-Ball? Want to get your car stolen? Want to get robbed?

Besides the OP wants city sites,so why even list some burb sites?

Old 07-15-2008, 12:08 AM

28,455 posts, read 84,950,339 times
I think avengerfire may be a bit overblown, but several of the areas the kind of places that have major issues with the parks.

Pick up game in Lincoln Park at Oz Park off of Burling is a good bet, indoors the North Beach Place on Sheffield has had leagues forever

Old 07-15-2008, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
"Some" are "kinda" rough? Many of these are in a ghetto. Want to get shot over a game of B-Ball? Want to get your car stolen? Want to get robbed?
Didn't see you give any suggestions....
Depends on your definition of Ghetto, Sorry no Nazi or Jewish people in most of these places, perhaps the worst place on the list is Columbus Park. Sorry if it doesn't make yuppies feel welcome, but then again he could always play a game of cricket at U of C or Northwestern. Im sure there's plenty of competition there.

Last edited by noid_1985; 07-15-2008 at 01:33 AM..

Old 07-15-2008, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noid_1985 View Post
Didn't see you give any suggetions....
Depends on your defintion of Ghetto, Sorry no Nazi or Jewish people in most of these places, perhaps the worst place on the list is Columbus Park. Sorry if it doesn't make yuppies feel welcome, but then again he could always play a game of cricket at U of C or Northwestern. Im sure there's plenty of competition there.
For the record I am not a Nazi,Jewish,or a yuppie. I am stating the facts. To be honest I dont care much for Basketball,but I sure know what areas I would (do) not want to be in, nor many other people would want to be in, be it the day or night.

Old 07-15-2008, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
For the record I am not a Nazi,Jewish,or a yuppie. I am stating the facts. To be honest I dont care much for Basketball,but I sure know what areas I would (do) not want to be in, nor many other people would want to be in, be it the day or night.
I never said you were a Nazi or Jewish...Implying that you are a yuppie... perhaps. For the record I gave the OP a few basketball parks & gyms that I often play. I was fortunate enough not to have been shot or robbed... Yes I survived. Northeastern= VERY DANGEROUS, LOYOLA PARK= VERY DANGEROUS etc. etc. People visit the United Center and visit Garfield Park Conservatory everyday without incident; IMO I think those two places are in far more dangerous neighborhoods than few I named.

Old 07-15-2008, 12:56 AM

Quote:
I never said you were a Nazi or Jewish...Implying that you are a yuppie... perhaps. For the record I gave the OP a few basketball parks & gyms that I often play. I was fortunate enough not to have been shot or robbed... Yes I survived. Northeastern= VERY DANGEROUS, LOYOLA PARK= VERY DANGEROUS etc. etc. People visit the United Center and visit Garfield Park Conservatory everyday without incident; IMO I think those two places are in far more dangerous neighborhoods than few I named.

Please note---I am the farthest thing you would find from a yuppie ever.

South Side-
63rd Hayes Dr.- Jackson Park------Very Dangerous
55th-57th st.- Washington Park--------Very Dangerous
Between 31st & 35th st.- Lake Shore Drive----Dangerous

West Side-
Jackson& Central- Columbus Park-----Very Dangerous
North Ave& California- Humboldt Park----Dangerous
X sport fitness- Narragansett & fullerton/Grand w/o pass $10----Somewhat Dangerous to Dangerous

North Side-
Loyola Park---Dangerous
Northeastern Illinois University- Foster & St.Louis $5 cover---Not very Dangerous

Western burbs-
Memorial Park- Bellwood----Dangerous
Memorial Park- LaGrange Park----Ok
Schroeder Park- Broadview---Somewhat Dangerous
Broadview Park District- Sundays Only $5---Somewhat Dangerous

"Some of the courts are in areas that are kinda "rough" but the people who are there are there to play ball just as you are."

Last edited by Avengerfire; 07-15-2008 at 01:05 AM..

Old 07-15-2008, 01:23 AM

Lol Broadview being dangerous..Bellwood's Memorial Park is next door to a police station...Sorry that your view of these places are so skewed. All I can say to the OP is drive around and take a look for yourself. I've traveled Chicago and have played ball at a lot of parks, when the OP asked if there are any good places to play ball I had competition and safety in mind (hints the heads up I gave him). There are a lot of "safe" basketball courts across the city and most of those are lacking opponents and/or competition.

Old 07-15-2008, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Lol Broadview being dangerous..Bellwood's Memorial Park is next door to a police station...Sorry that your view of these places are so skewed. All I can say to the OP is drive around and take a look for yourself. I've traveled Chicago and have played ball at a lot of parks, when the OP asked if there are any good places to play ball I had competition and safety in mind (hints the heads up I gave him). There are a lot of "safe" basketball courts across the city and most of those are lacking opponents and/or competition.
I said Broadview is SOMEWHAT DANGEROUS. If you look at its crime stats you will see this is the case.

I dont care if Memorial Park in Bellwood is next to a police station or next door to Barack Obamas house in Hyde Park-Bellwood is declining fast and is not a place I would go to if i could help it. Yes, I have been to Bellwood many times over the years,so no need to attack my credibility.

When I gave my ratings I was speaking of the quality of areas that the places you mentioned are in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago