Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 10:37 AM

2 posts, read 2,794 times

Advertisements

I would just say to not move to Chicago at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2008, 01:21 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2Bcontent View Post
I would just say to not move to Chicago at all.
If you read the OP, that's water over the dam. The decision has been made. So do you have anything of value to contribute?

Old 08-19-2008, 08:26 AM

68 posts, read 259,345 times
That person seems pretty bitter! Anywho, I am excited to go out there and check out the apartments. I looked at the Google map but couldnt figure out how far downtown is from the apartments that I had been looking at on line. I have been looking at Wicker park, Lakeview, Logan Square and Lincoln Park. I have also been looking at Gold Coast but I believe that Gold Coast is in Downtown.

Old 08-19-2008, 07:26 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,606,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtzhenrriquez View Post
...I looked at the Google map but couldnt figure out how far downtown is from the apartments that I had been looking at on line...

Use mapquest...

Old 08-20-2008, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
Use mapquest...
Thanks, did that yesterday!

Old 08-20-2008, 08:48 AM

10 posts, read 38,884 times
Quote:
That person seems pretty bitter! Anywho, I am excited to go out there and check out the apartments. I looked at the Google map but couldnt figure out how far downtown is from the apartments that I had been looking at on line. I have been looking at Wicker park, Lakeview, Logan Square and Lincoln Park. I have also been looking at Gold Coast but I believe that Gold Coast is in Downtown.
Try this link - click the map to zoom in and then you can scroll through to get an idea of where the neighborhoods are located.
http://search.realtyproducer.com/cor...rhoods-map.jpg
The general rule for distance is that every "800" in address numbers is a mile, thus "400" is a half mile. So starting from Madison (which is "0" for East-West running streets) 800 North is at Chicago Ave, which is one mile north of the center. 800 West is at Halsted, which is 1 mile west of State St (which is "0" for North-South running streets)

If you are looking at places that are (for example) along the same street, say State Street but the apartment is at 1200 S State and your husbands job is 400 N State - he will be 2 miles away from work.

When I was searching Google was a great resource, especially now that their online maps give the option to see Public Transit for your route, along with the times and distance. That was a huge factor in determining where I would live since I planned to take the bus/train everyday.

Old 08-20-2008, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherish08 View Post
Try this link - click the map to zoom in and then you can scroll through to get an idea of where the neighborhoods are located.
http://search.realtyproducer.com/cor...rhoods-map.jpg
The general rule for distance is that every "800" in address numbers is a mile, thus "400" is a half mile. So starting from Madison (which is "0" for East-West running streets) 800 North is at Chicago Ave, which is one mile north of the center. 800 West is at Halsted, which is 1 mile west of State St (which is "0" for North-South running streets)

If you are looking at places that are (for example) along the same street, say State Street but the apartment is at 1200 S State and your husbands job is 400 N State - he will be 2 miles away from work.

When I was searching Google was a great resource, especially now that their online maps give the option to see Public Transit for your route, along with the times and distance. That was a huge factor in determining where I would live since I planned to take the bus/train everyday.
Thanks I truly do appreciate the advice!

Old 08-20-2008, 09:19 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,365,612 times
Quote:
Since we have never been there we have no idea where my husbands job is located. We will be there the second week of September and are arriving through the O'hare airport. Was that a bad move??? Should I have gone through Midway? We will be staying right by the airport since there the rates were not as expensive as they are in Downtown. I think we will busy during our four day stay in Chicago looking at everything anything we can possibly get our hands on. I guess we can calculate how far the neighborhoods are from the my husbands job once we figure out exactly where it is located. Is there anyway that I could find out the Neighborhood by giving you his job Zip?

Thanks again! =o)
Ohare is fine, especially if you are looking around the northern neighborhoods like Lakeview.

Old 08-20-2008, 01:16 PM

838 posts, read 3,096,665 times
Default downtown

Downtown is composed of west loop, river north, streeterville, and gold coast

Quote:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago