U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-11-2008, 11:21 AM

1 posts, read 15,737 times

Advertisements

America's Best is a terrible company. The glasses and contacts are ok quality-wise, but the professionalism is just not there. I don't understand how they could even be optometrists honestly. I had a 4 year package with America's Best a couple years back and went for my yearly exam, etc. I never received the correct prescription (keep in mind, I need a very minimal prescription) and the last time I went, the doctor told me that my astigmatism cancelled out my vision correction so there was nothing he could do for my vision. That sounded fishy so I went elsewhere only to find he was full of bologna! Surprise, surprise. Anyway, I have been to three locations in South Carolina in my time with America's Best and would highly discourage anyone from wasting money there.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2008, 11:36 AM

4,338 posts, read 6,071,434 times
You pay for what you get.

Good luck on your internet vendetta.

Old 11-11-2008, 11:45 AM

4,172 posts, read 4,715,776 times
I just tried Walmart for the first time. And they were (surprisingly) great. Much better than my Lenscrafter experience. They also match the price of 1800Contacts (which I've used for years) and offer coupons.

Old 11-11-2008, 02:25 PM

5,561 posts, read 8,979,447 times
how, I'm surprised this thread got bumped back up almost 4 months later. anyways, I went to America's Best, got two great pairs of glasses, and can now read the date off a penny lying on the ground across the street! so I'm happy w/ AB

the smiley just reminded me I need to pick up some Rx sunglasses...

Old 11-11-2008, 09:48 PM

2,522 posts, read 2,775,720 times
Sounds crazy, but I have a friend without vision insurance who is really impressed by the quality of care and the sevice she has received at JC Penney's.

Old 11-17-2008, 10:48 PM

9,473 posts, read 11,773,498 times
I had a lot of problems with my "local independent" shop. A pair of glasses that was quoted at $350 ended up to be over $525. And to add insult to injury, they charged me $10 for adjustments and new nose pads.

I went to the Sam's Club optical center and they service my glasses for free ... and will not accept tips, gifts, or lunches. Their prices are also very reasonable.

For dirt cheap glasses (but no exams), try Zenni Optical, a mail order firm.

Zenni Optical - Complete prescription eyeglasses from $8.00 (http://zennioptical.com/cart/home.php - broken link)

Old 11-18-2008, 07:38 AM

170 posts, read 339,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
I had a lot of problems with my "local independent" shop. A pair of glasses that was quoted at $350 ended up to be over $525. And to add insult to injury, they charged me $10 for adjustments and new nose pads.

I went to the Sam's Club optical center and they service my glasses for free ... and will not accept tips, gifts, or lunches. Their prices are also very reasonable.

For dirt cheap glasses (but no exams), try Zenni Optical, a mail order firm.

Zenni Optical - Complete prescription eyeglasses from $8.00 (http://zennioptical.com/cart/home.php - broken link)

I'm about to use this site to order a spare pair or two from that site. I can't quite afford a new exam and my prescription is "expired," yet I still feel fine about how I see now. I'm told I'm legally blind without glasses/contacts so I hope this site can give me something that will at least suffice as a spare pair.

Old 02-13-2009, 02:14 PM

85 posts, read 211,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mepayne View Post
America's Best is a terrible company. The glasses and contacts are ok quality-wise, but the professionalism is just not there. I don't understand how they could even be optometrists honestly. I had a 4 year package with America's Best a couple years back and went for my yearly exam, etc. I never received the correct prescription (keep in mind, I need a very minimal prescription) and the last time I went, the doctor told me that my astigmatism cancelled out my vision correction so there was nothing he could do for my vision. That sounded fishy so I went elsewhere only to find he was full of bologna! Surprise, surprise. Anyway, I have been to three locations in South Carolina in my time with America's Best and would highly discourage anyone from wasting money there.
Agreed, America's best it is anything but. Costco if you have membership.

Old 08-20-2010, 08:45 AM

1 posts, read 11,630 times
Talking Lowest Prices on Glasses by far

America's best - they have a sale ongoing for two pair single lens & frames for only $69.95. Unheard of! My last two (eyeglass world & One-Hour Optical) costs nearly $500. And you can make a free eye exam appt online!

Old 11-29-2010, 08:36 AM

1 posts, read 10,934 times
I need the cheapest place to get eye exam and contacts in Huntsville Alabama without insurance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago