Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2008, 04:17 PM

15 posts, read 40,522 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessiegirl_98 View Post
There are also movies in the park on Tuesday nights. Check out Metromix | Your Restaurants, Nightlife & Events Guide for street festivals, etc that may be going on then. Again, let us know what your budget is.

Also, just making sure you realize that the metra and the el/buses are 2 totally different systems that require different fare cards, etc (since you mentioned an unlimited pass)
I won't be in Chicago on Tuesday night and yest I do understand the trains are seperate systems, thanks for asking.

Want to spend about $60 per day... eating breakfast at the hotel and can skip lunch!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2008, 04:35 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,609,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolgrrl View Post
...My Metra train and CTA are NOT included in my budget. They are seperate.

Thanks again to all helping!!

what is the Lincoln Park Zoo like?
The Zoo is decent and it is free.

Buy the Metra $5 unlimited ride weekend (for travel on Saturday and Sundays only) passes.

Metra Family Fares & $5 Weekend Pass (http://metrarail.com/Special_Promotions/family_weekend_fares.html - broken link)

Quote:
...Want to spend about $60 per day... eating breakfast at the hotel and can skip lunch!
$60 a day for both of you or each of you?

Old 07-27-2008, 05:54 PM

1,156 posts, read 3,750,378 times
NAvy Pier is very touristy- for instance the food court has a booth that sells fudge.
There are things to stroll and see, but its a little more geared for teens and families - not that there's anything wrong with that. There is a stained glass exhibit that's neat.

Lincoln Park Zoo is a very walkable zoo and its surrounded by Lincoln Park (obviously) which is a really nice stroll as well. I would recommend doing that for sure. There is also the Lincoln Park Conservatory which is free, right there as well. Since you mentioned walking a lot, I'd take the Red line to Fullerton and then walk about a mile east to the zoo, and you will see a lot of gorgeous homes and Chicago scenery along the way.

If you want to headup to Evanston, they have really amazing farmers market on Saturday mornings. I'm sorry - I don't have more details on that, but that's one of my northside friend's favorite things to do.

Old 07-27-2008, 08:00 PM

64 posts, read 273,351 times
i personally like navy pier just for the atmosphere. i wouldn't avoid it just because its full of tourists. the Lincoln park zoo is definitely worth going to just because its free!
walking the trail through the beaches is even nice. not sure if the aquarium was mentioned or not but its fun, Chinatown is interesting grant park, millennium park.
theres tons of stuff to do and see on the cheap.

Old 07-27-2008, 08:12 PM

Quote:
...Anyone want to give me some ideas of what to do cheap...things you think I may need to see... (Not doing Sears Tower, museums or any of the tours...just walking about and riding the CTA) I'd like to see things that may be missed by tourists but the natives love...

Old 07-27-2008, 08:19 PM

2,467 posts, read 12,246,919 times
Just beware that you are traveling during lollapalooza...... that will make the Grant Park area very, very crowded (e.g., avoid).

The zoo is nice. What are you guys interested in doing?

Old 07-28-2008, 10:39 PM

Try

Stella's Carry Out
2200 W Irving Park Rd
Chicago, IL 60618
(773) 588-2222

for some decently priced and decent Chicago fast food.

Old 07-29-2008, 11:32 PM

14 posts, read 37,369 times
The zoo is nice and free. it's next to a ton of stuff. You can also hangout at the beach and in the park. It's a nice afternoon right there. go to transitchicago.com and it tells you how to do stuff. if you have the unlimited pass using trains and busses is the fastest and cheapest way to do stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago