Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2008, 09:25 PM

109 posts, read 281,163 times

Advertisements

I was on the lakefront bike trail earlier, a guy passed me and "smacked" the sh*t out of my arm, on purpose, he said I was in his lane even though I wasn't. We were just really close that's all. I turned around, followed him, addressed the situation, he came towards me reaching out to grab me and I hit him. He ended up following me for 20 minutes and threatening me the entire time and tried to make me crash - I hit him again. The guy ripped my computer (bike computer) off and through it in my spokes. I was leaving it at that trying to go about my business, he flagged a cop down on the trail and he took our name, and address on a contact card. We went our own ways from there. What does everyone think about what could come about in this situation? I am really pissed right now about this jack off! Unfortunately I can't afford a lawyer right now so hopefully the guy will see it was his fault, and added several charges on his self if I wanted to do something about it and just leave it alone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2008, 01:55 PM

8,425 posts, read 12,184,331 times
"I turned around, followed him, addressed the situation," Well, you had the last clear opportunity to defuse the situation. Sometimes a person who needs telling off does not get told.

As it stands now, if you feel you were in the right, sue the person yourself. There are many self-help guides available, and a help-desk in the Daley Center.

Old 07-27-2008, 02:04 PM
jgi

8 posts, read 33,414 times
Sounds like you need to take some anger management classes. You need to learn that the majority of people are idiots and if you're not careful it's quite easy to become one of them. Next time, don't ride so close to the other lane and don't succumb to the imposed aggression of others.

Old 07-27-2008, 08:16 PM

2,467 posts, read 12,246,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manigault View Post
"I turned around, followed him, addressed the situation," Well, you had the last clear opportunity to defuse the situation. Sometimes a person who needs telling off does not get told.

As it stands now, if you feel you were in the right, sue the person yourself. There are many self-help guides available, and a help-desk in the Daley Center.
um, yeah, and since you hit the guy first, you have about 0% chance of getting anything out of a lawsuit. He "smacked into you" (which probably wasn't, but could have been an accident) and you went after him and ended up hitting him.....

I would just learn from this experience and let things go!!!!

Old 07-27-2008, 10:01 PM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,086,496 times
I would just let it go. There are a lot of jerks on the bike trail, and it sounds like he might have been one of them, but going after every jagoff with a lawyer will just leave you broke and angry. Even if you did win (and it seems like a long shot), what if he's broke, how would you collect?

Old 07-28-2008, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j33 View Post
I would just let it go. There are a lot of jerks on the bike trail, and it sounds like he might have been one of them, but going after every jagoff with a lawyer will just leave you broke and angry. Even if you did win (and it seems like a long shot), what if he's broke, how would you collect?
Yeah, that's what I want to do anyway. I had no interest in taking him to go for money. I just wondered if the guy could have me arrested. I talked to the 42nd Precinct and he said not to worry, the card the cop filled out is only for future references, so if something happens later on they contact both of us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessiegirl_98 View Post
um, yeah, and since you hit the guy first, you have about 0% chance of getting anything out of a lawsuit. He "smacked into you" (which probably wasn't, but could have been an accident) and you went after him and ended up hitting him.....

I would just learn from this experience and let things go!!!!
First, no I didn't hit him first, second, I didn't say he "smacked into me", I said he "smacked me", literally, this guy reached out and smacked the crap out of me. Last, I still had no interest in getting money. I just wanted to know if something, like going to jail could come of this. I found out my answer at the police department. Kinda didn't want to go there, might have went to jail....lol. It's all good, just pissed that this guy felt the need to smack me because we were close to each other on a damn trail with thousands of other people. He might not be this lucky next time with someone else he decides to smack because he/she gets close to him.

Old 07-28-2008, 10:39 AM

569 posts, read 1,819,994 times
I was reading an article about the comradery riders felt towards each other on the path. This lady fell down and 5 bikers came to her rescure. Quite the contrary in your situation. Let it go, invest your energy into something productive. IMO, people like that have it coming to them when they least expect it.

Old 07-29-2008, 12:00 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,176,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkylittleton View Post
I was reading an article about the comradery riders felt towards each other on the path. This lady fell down and 5 bikers came to her rescure. Quite the contrary in your situation. Let it go, invest your energy into something productive. IMO, people like that have it coming to them when they least expect it.
With any luck this guy will be the next plonker we hear about who gets T-boned because he didn't feel like stopping at a red light.

Old 07-29-2008, 09:56 AM

7,331 posts, read 15,385,654 times
Hey now. I did NOT "smack" you. It was a love tap.

Kidding.

Sounds like the guy was a real d-bag. The bike path, just like the streets, is filled with 'em. But yeah. I'd let it go.

Old 07-29-2008, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
Hey now. I did NOT "smack" you. It was a love tap.

Kidding.

Sounds like the guy was a real d-bag. The bike path, just like the streets, is filled with 'em. But yeah. I'd let it go.
Oh, yeah? Love tap you say? Well, hope you liked the kiss I gave you on the lips! Yes he was. I was so pissed! I will control myself better next time and let it go because I didn't like the feeling of knowing I could go to jail... not a good feeling and I do not want to feel that way again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago