Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2008, 09:22 AM

3,771 posts, read 7,089,423 times

Advertisements

Chicagoans,

I have posted sparingly in the Chicago forum but have read constantly. I feel I know a good deal about your city now and thank all of you very much. I have read constantly, street-viewed constantly, and use a map to correspond with any and all comments are made.

I wanted to put in a post with lots of detail and little ambiguous ideas or feelings. I am going to post Intersections/streets/neighorhoods of the apartments I am currently looking at. I won't include price and will weigh that on my own. If you can give your comments about what you know on each and which you'd lean toward, that'd be excellent.

Who I am / What I'm looking for: I am a 22-year old white male, lanky, educated, and loves to bike. My fiancee is a 25-year old white female, educated, average build but more shy I think in public situations. We've both lived in Philadelphia and Cleveland, so we're not stranger to urban areas but both want a safe area, first and foremost. Here's the important part: She's going to be riding the El into downtown to her research job 2-3 times per week and I'm not as much worried about convenience but safety on the ride and on platforms. We will be bringing 1-car and using it sparingly.

Streets/Intersections:

Oak Park
1. 800 South Austin Blvd between Garfield Street and Harvard just south of 290 (My understanding for this is that it's too close to Austin, from what I've read. The neighborhood looks OK, but I see a few bus stops -- is this the part of Oak Park you don't live in?)

2. 1000 W. Pleasant Street just southeast of the Lake/Harlem intersection and the CTA to be used would be the Harlem. (I don't know too much about this part but was pleased to see it was a bit from Austin.)

3. 41 Chicago Avenue and Humphrey, one block west of Austin Blvd. (I assume this falls in line with #1 as well. Too close to Austin?)

Those are the locations for Oak Park. Overall thoughts and opinions on them?

Next:

Forest Park

1. 7000 West Jackson Avenue just east of Des Plaines and just north of the Eisenhower.

That's all for West Chicago. My main concern is first neighborhood, second CTA safety. Will a white female or a white male, seperately or together, incur unsafe riding conditions as you go THROUGH neighborhoods such as Austin, Garfield Park, or Humboldt Park? Or am I too concerned with that?

North Side:

Lincoln Park:

1. 2800 North Burling just north of Diversey Pkwy.

Rogers Park:

1. 1200 W. Pratt just west of N. Sheridan and southwest of Loyola Park
2. 1700 W. Thome right between Ravenswood and N. Clark

I want to thank anyone who responds -- I will rep for good advice and honest thoughts -- thanks to all for helping as I am going to possibly have to move without visiting each first. You all are extremely appreciated -- if you know anything about where these are located, I tremendously appreciate it.

I think my favorite so far is the one in Lincoln park because Utilities are included.

Josh
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2008, 09:39 AM

4,688 posts, read 10,102,386 times
I'd probably go with the Diversey address. The lake/park access you'll have immediately at your disposal is huge, especially if you're into biking.

One thing to note, which you may already know, is that parking is difficult and expensive in that part of town. You can easily live without a car there, but if you choose to bring one, factor that into your costs.

Old 08-01-2008, 09:41 AM

1,953 posts, read 4,958,899 times
If your girlfriend will be traveling to the loop during the day I wouldnt see any probelms with that. Personally I dont live in the best neighborhood and take the cta daily and at night and never had a problem. My girlfirend who is in her 20s as well takes the cta daily and nights too. I do get a bit concerned when shes out waiting for busses at late hours but shes never had a problem. If you guys will just be taking the L you should be fine. Just my .02

Old 08-01-2008, 11:47 AM

2,467 posts, read 12,243,518 times
I would also go for LP. I don't know much about FP or OP, so maybe someone else can comment on those addresses. Regarding Rogers Park, I would say a big NO to Thome, and probably wouldn't choose Pratt either..... you'd probably be fine on Pratt, but unless you love living with college kids, I would choose against that one.

Old 08-01-2008, 12:03 PM

142 posts, read 431,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddy4LyF View Post
Chicagoans,

Streets/Intersections:

Oak Park
1. 800 South Austin Blvd between Garfield Street and Harvard just south of 290 (My understanding for this is that it's too close to Austin, from what I've read. The neighborhood looks OK, but I see a few bus stops -- is this the part of Oak Park you don't live in?)

2. 1000 W. Pleasant Street just southeast of the Lake/Harlem intersection and the CTA to be used would be the Harlem. (I don't know too much about this part but was pleased to see it was a bit from Austin.)

3. 41 Chicago Avenue and Humphrey, one block west of Austin Blvd. (I assume this falls in line with #1 as well. Too close to Austin?)

Those are the locations for Oak Park. Overall thoughts and opinions on them?

Next:

Forest Park

1. 7000 West Jackson Avenue just east of Des Plaines and just north of the Eisenhower.

That's all for West Chicago. My main concern is first neighborhood, second CTA safety. Will a white female or a white male, seperately or together, incur unsafe riding conditions as you go THROUGH neighborhoods such as Austin, Garfield Park, or Humboldt Park? Or am I too concerned with that?
I'm 26wf, you and your fiancee sound a lot like my boyfriend and I. I've lived in Oak Park for 3 years now, and he grew up in neighboring River Forest. Here's what I can tell you...

1. I'd avoid the Austin-bordering areas of Oak Park, for the most part. I used to live at Lake & Humphrey, about a block from Austin, and didn't love the neighborhood. It was noisy - especially in the Chicago/Humphrey neighborhood you mentioned, which is right near West Suburban Hospital. You'll hear sirens constantly. There are also some sketchy characters in that area... I was accosted once walking home from the Austin eL stop at night...

2. If you're looking near Garfield/Austin, go one block north to Harrison. That area is Oak Park's "arts district," and it's full of cool shopping, restaurants, galleries, festivals, etc. The housing is reasonable, it's near both the green and blue lines, and it's becoming a choice spot for young couples who want a more "citified" suburban life. (My boyf and I are hoping to buy a house near there in a couple of years...)

3. If you're a newbie to the area, your best bet is probably the apartment on Pleasant near Harlem. This is near to downtown Oak Park, and Marion Street, which is really nice. Just one word of warning, though... Harlem is a really, really busy street, so you have to be careful of traffic. I live about 3 blocks east of that area now (nearer to Oak Park Ave.) and I love it!

4. Jackson St. in Forest Park is nice too. I'm friends with a couple who live around there and they like it. You'll also be close to FP's main nightlife district on Madison St. which can be really fun! Also, being near the Eisenhower, you'll be right off the blue line, which is convenient.

5. Overall, as a young couple who are new to Chicago, you can't go wrong moving to the Oak Park area. I've been really happy here and plan on staying put for the foreseeable future. It's an ethnically diverse and progressive-minded area. There's a nice mix of young and old. There's plenty to do in OP itself, and you're really close to the city. As far as travelling on the eL or bus, passing through the westside... Once you're on, you'll be fine. You just need to be aware of your surroundings as you're walking there.

Hope that helps! Good luck with your move!

Old 08-01-2008, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakparkV View Post

2. If you're looking near Garfield/Austin, go one block north to Harrison. That area is Oak Park's "arts district," and it's full of cool shopping, restaurants, galleries, festivals, etc. The housing is reasonable, it's near both the green and blue lines, and it's becoming a choice spot for young couples who want a more "citified" suburban life. (My boyf and I are hoping to buy a house near there in a couple of years...)
There's an article in this issue of Crains about that neighborhood. I was really surprised how affordable the housing in that area because it is a really cool part of Oak Park. SFH in the $300,000 range...definately a place I'll be looking at in a few years as well. Hopefully it doesn't get too much more publicity until then.

Old 08-01-2008, 12:28 PM

9 posts, read 31,842 times
I'm not much help with Oak Park or Forest Park, but it looks like others have provided good information on that area.

I've spent a good deal of time near Halsted & Diversey (2800 N. Burling apt). There are several Irish bars that get a mostly college-age crowd and can be fun if that's your scene (I'm 32 so I'm over that phase). Parking is very difficult, so you'll probably need a dedicated spot (i.e., if one doesn't come with your apartment you'll likely have to pay for one nearby). You'd be close to the lake and also close to another major intersection- Diversey and Clark. That is one of the main strips of shopping, restaurants, bars and other stuff in Lincoln Park. You're not terribly far from the Diversey Brown Line train stop, but it has been under construction (not sure if it is open yet- check the trasitchicago.com website). The Clark and Halsted busses are very good though. You can easily get downtown or up to Lakeview or further north. One word of advice, a few friends have looked in that area and found the apartments to be a bit "dingy." I'm not sure I'd rent sight-unseen.

Rogers Park, in my oppinion, is cool but has saftety issues. I don't feel totally comfortable walking from the Red Line stops up there at night. There are some cool hang-outs, but not as concentrated as Lakeview, Lincloln Park, or other neighborhoods.

A couple of other things...are you using the Chicago Reader for apartments? I'd suggest it as a good source. Also, I lived in the North Center/Lincoln Square area (Damen, Irving Park, & Lincoln intersection, although Irving Park Brown Line stop now under construction) and LOVED the area. I'd buy there if I had a chance. Perfect combination of fun stuff to do, quiet side streets, safe, diverse, near a train stop and major busses (Damen, Irving Park). The Addison Brown Line station is open and close to that area, as is the Western Brown Line stop.

Old 08-01-2008, 01:50 PM

3,771 posts, read 7,089,423 times
Thanks for the great replies/advice so far! I apologize to Jdiddy and Jessiegirl as I couldn't rep you again yet.

Does the Austin border officially start at Austin Blvd? That'd make sense to me, but I don't know the correct boundary so far.

I guess Lincoln Park and Oak Park (the 2nd addy) are leading the way so far.

My only concern with The Oak Park addy is that I would plan on biking into downtown with myself or friends I make on my bicycle and wonder about the area (though it's far more safe to bike than to walk and I bike fast -- should I be terribly worried about that?

Old 08-01-2008, 02:07 PM

Quote:

My only concern with The Oak Park addy is that I would plan on biking into downtown with myself or friends I make on my bicycle and wonder about the area (though it's far more safe to bike than to walk and I bike fast -- should I be terribly worried about that?
That's the reason I figured the Lincoln Park address works better. There are some real rough neighborhoods you'll be biking through. Considering your choice is between biking through some of the roughest neighborhoods in the city, or biking along the lakefront path, I think I'd go with the latter.

Maybe some Oak Parkers who actually do that could tell you otherwise, but its not something I would do, at least very often.

Old 08-01-2008, 02:47 PM

142 posts, read 431,803 times
Quote:
Thanks for the great replies/advice so far! I apologize to Jdiddy and Jessiegirl as I couldn't rep you again yet.

Does the Austin border officially start at Austin Blvd? That'd make sense to me, but I don't know the correct boundary so far.

I guess Lincoln Park and Oak Park (the 2nd addy) are leading the way so far.

Well, yes the official border between Chicago and Oak Park is Austin Ave. However, alot of OP'ers think anything east of Ridgeland tends to get scary/ghetto. That's not necessarily true... it's just from that point on that OP becomes more "westside"-like than suburban. I bike around that east part of OP during the day pretty frequently, and am never bothered...

As far as biking to the city... my boyf is big into it, and frequently rides through the westside to downtown. He's encountered a few bangers, crackheads, and the like, but has never been personally affected or threatened.

If you plan to bike between OP and downtown, I would encourage you (and my boyf!) to go north first (Oak Park Ave. is the most direct) then head east on a street like Belmont or Addison. That way, you cut through the Cragin/Portage neighborhoods, which are much safer than some of the westside areas further south.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago