U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2008, 11:31 AM

3 posts, read 4,381 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone,

I just accepted a position with a company in East Chicago and will be moving there from Las Vegas in the next couple of months. I want to live in the Chicago area and I have no idea where to live. About myself. I am 40, not married and I don't have any kids. First and foremost, I want a place that is safe. I'm going to live in an apartment for the first year to make sure I like the area. I want an area where I can walk over to starbucks, parks close by for jogging, gym close by and people in the same age category. I was told Lincoln Park was nice. I would like to keep my commute under 1/2 hour but if there is any area that is a bit further away that would be a good fit, I would drive the extra miles. I currently pay $1400 in rent and would be ok with going to $1,600 for a nice apartment with a good view. Any comments on nice areas to check out would be great.

Thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2008, 12:08 PM

4,343 posts, read 8,240,268 times
Even though, you got a position in East Chicago, IN that town is not safe and its known for gang related crime. You be better off living in Lincoln Park, Lakeview, Wicker Park in Chicago and commute to East Chicago, IN just for your career only.

Last edited by Chicagoland60426; 08-02-2008 at 12:10 PM.. Reason: Correct a sentence

Old 08-02-2008, 12:15 PM

61 posts, read 182,064 times
Where exactly is your company located? You can get a decent apartment in the loop for that price. Views are always great, safe area, and full of singles.

Good luck!

Old 08-02-2008, 12:17 PM

102 posts, read 360,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinvegas View Post
Hey everyone,

I just accepted a position with a company in East Chicago and will be moving there from Las Vegas in the next couple of months. I want to live in the Chicago area and I have no idea where to live. About myself. I am 40, not married and I don't have any kids. First and foremost, I want a place that is safe. I'm going to live in an apartment for the first year to make sure I like the area. I want an area where I can walk over to starbucks, parks close by for jogging, gym close by and people in the same age category. I was told Lincoln Park was nice. I would like to keep my commute under 1/2 hour but if there is any area that is a bit further away that would be a good fit, I would drive the extra miles. I currently pay $1400 in rent and would be ok with going to $1,600 for a nice apartment with a good view. Any comments on nice areas to check out would be great.

Thanks
I don't think East Chicago would be a 1/2 hour commute from anywhere in the city, save some areas of the southside, which likely wouldn't have all the amenities you're looking for.

You could find a pretty amazing place in hyde park for $1400/month and you'd be close to the lake/parks/gyms/a number of coffee shops, but the area around the neighborhood are some of the worst in the city in terms of safety. It's also mostly a university neighborhood and quite isolated from the rest of the city. I could imagine it being hard to meet similar people in that area.

One good thing about the southern half of the city (including the south loop, which I'm pretty clueless about) is that you could take the metra into east chicago, rather than driving (would take ~30-45minutes), but this depends on where your office is I guess. From a place like lincoln park, the commute would be much longer and atrociously stressful, depending on when you leave.

Hopefully some others will come up with some better recommendations!

Old 08-02-2008, 12:20 PM

15,587 posts, read 25,181,315 times
South Loop works the best. Take the Shoth Shore train to E. Chicago.

Northern Indiana Commuter Transportation District

Old 08-02-2008, 04:04 PM

3 posts, read 4,381 times
Thanks guys. I was told that I wouldn't want to live in East Chicago. I checked out Gary Indiana and when I told people at work that, they chuckled and said "there is a bit of a gang problem in Gary". I checked out some of the highrise apartments that have a view of the lake and they were priced around where I thought they would be. I then discovered the parking at the highrise is valet. Add in another $200 per month and then tips every day. Even a cheap $2 tip would tack on another $60 per month. A bit surprising but perhaps this is how the highrises in Chicago work. Any thoughts.

Old 08-02-2008, 04:26 PM

15,587 posts, read 25,181,315 times
Get rid of your car and/or dont live in a highrise, and expect it to take longer than 30 minutes to get to E. Chicago.

Old 08-03-2008, 11:34 PM

38,704 posts, read 95,780,699 times
You couldn't pay me to live in Gary unless it was right on Miller Beach. Gary's national reputation as a crime-addled pit is not entirely unearned. In short, something's gotta give: either the amenities you want in the neighborhood, or the commute time. Take your pick.

Old 08-03-2008, 11:44 PM

11,973 posts, read 29,563,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinvegas View Post
I then discovered the parking at the highrise is valet. Add in another $200 per month and then tips every day. Even a cheap $2 tip would tack on another $60 per month. A bit surprising but perhaps this is how the highrises in Chicago work. Any thoughts.
You don't tip valets in a residential building every day. Just at Christmas.

Old 08-04-2008, 12:41 AM

38,704 posts, read 95,780,699 times
Come to think of it, you might be able to find most of what you're looking for in Hyde Park, and it wouldn't be that much more than a 30-minute commute to East Chicago -- it certainly wouldn't be an unreasonable commute. Just shoot right down Lake Shore/South Shore or Stony Island....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: