Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2008, 09:24 PM

16 posts, read 52,621 times

Advertisements

I'm residing in Andersonville and looking into gym memberships. All I'm looking for is a gym where I can lift weights. Anything else is butter (Especially a basketball court!!), but I'm really leaning towards affordability. I used to work out at a local gym up in the suburbs where it was, I think, $200/year.

Any recommendations?

Starting with the obvious, what can you guys tell me about Bally's up in Rogers Park?

What about X-Sport? Are their memberships universal, meaning I can use my pass at ANY X-Sport gym?

I want to ask y'all before resorting to calling them (They don't seem to provide membership rates online).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2008, 10:29 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,152,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsuh84 View Post
I'm residing in Andersonville and looking into gym memberships. All I'm looking for is a gym where I can lift weights. Anything else is butter (Especially a basketball court!!), but I'm really leaning towards affordability. I used to work out at a local gym up in the suburbs where it was, I think, $200/year.

Any recommendations?

Starting with the obvious, what can you guys tell me about Bally's up in Rogers Park?

What about X-Sport? Are their memberships universal, meaning I can use my pass at ANY X-Sport gym?

I want to ask y'all before resorting to calling them (They don't seem to provide membership rates online).
X Sport has three package levels: The "you can use this location only" package, the "you can use all locations except the premium locations" package and the "you can use all X Sport gyms, even the premium locations" package. I believe they cost around $30, $40 and $50 a month respectively. The premium locations are Piper's Alley, Lakeview and the forthcoming South Loop location. Nothing makes them special except the fact that they are in high demand due to location.

Old 08-04-2008, 08:01 AM

328 posts, read 1,396,598 times
Default google it

Hey, I live in Lakeview and love the FFC, but it's 78 a month. You will definitely not get anything around here for 200 a year, (meaning Northside of the City).

google "Gym prices in Chicago", and there should be a link for Time Out Chicago and a list of what gym prices are/where they are located. It might be a little bit, out of date, but it should give you an idea...

No idea about Xsport, but I paid 150 to join and 78 a month (employee sponsor rate) for the Formula Fitness Club. I know the Lakeview Athletic Club is similarly priced, and Bally's is 35 a month (But you sign a 2-3 year contract, and I only have a 1 year contract).

Good luck - Hope that website is still up for you!

Old 08-06-2008, 11:18 AM

838 posts, read 3,096,465 times
Regular membership for tier 1 full service gyms in the city n my own take:

East Bank Club $300 a month --- probably the preppiest health club in the city. if you like to play golf indoor and socialized with the affluent. This one is for you. very much the chicago equivalent of chelsea piers or reebok club of NYC.

FFC $90 a month--- more locations than other three, does not have the kind of amenities like the rest in terms of outdoor pools and climbing walls and complimentary beverage service

LVAC/EVAC/LPAC/WVAC $110 a month ---boutique gym, more intimate, comes with complimentary starbucks coffee, gourmet tea, indoor and outdoor pools, climbing wall both indoor and outdoor,etc

LakeShore Athletic CLub $95 a month --- Huge gym in downtown and especially lincoln park location encompasses an entire city block with indoor basketball and tennis courts and such, more family oriented

Old 08-06-2008, 01:33 PM

1,953 posts, read 4,959,705 times
i use to be a xsport member and now am with FFC. The only reason I switched is that its a block away from my work in union station. All around I do perfer Xsport, so if there is one in your area it is decent. I could go to any club xsport had and it was under $50 a month with no contract, and they are all 24/7 which was a huge bonus for me. FFC I pay about $60 w/ a 1yr contract (with an employee discount) and most are not 24/7. Theres not really going to be any halfway decent "cheap" places in the city

Old 08-06-2008, 07:15 PM

2,467 posts, read 12,245,112 times
I would also check out the Lakeview YMCA. Reason being, it has all the basics and is cheap! We paid $60 per month for a family membership (my boyfriend and I counted as a family). I loved Xsport, but it was significantly more expensive when I called.

Old 08-08-2008, 08:52 AM

1,367 posts, read 5,739,335 times
If you're mostly interested in weights and not amenities/atmosphere, you should look to see if there are any World Gyms around. I think they would be a lot more affordable. Also, on Broadway just south of Irving Park Rd. there is a Quads; I've never been there, but I imagine it is more barebones/cheaper.

Old 10-20-2008, 08:05 PM

332 posts, read 524,783 times
I pay $79 per month for the DePaul gym Ray Meyer. There are actually basketball courts and you can actually run full court games!!! Though I haven't in way too long due to injury. Harsh!

Old 10-20-2008, 09:48 PM

249 posts, read 685,163 times
About the only place in the city that will come close to your budget is Cardinal Fitness. $20 per month, so $240 per year. There's a new one that just opened at Lincoln Village, not too far from Andersonville.

Cardinal Fitness

It's the one they call "Peterson Park"

Old 10-21-2008, 02:33 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,780,988 times
I would avoid Bally's like the plague. Their membership practices seem shady to me, and they are impossible to quit if you sign a contract. And they are really bad about telemarketing and spam.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago