Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 08:48 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,355,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
I've been through one of those. I'll take a half-hour squall any day.
Ive never experienced a hurricane, but dont think Id ever want to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2008, 08:49 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,611,075 times
My mom went through a tropical storm and said it was harrowing, so i can only imagine how scary the real deal would be!

Old 08-06-2008, 01:39 PM

4,688 posts, read 10,102,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Costa Rica Chica View Post
I got a ride home on the Drive this afternoon and couldn't believe the number of branches and trees lying on the ground. My stepdad and his grandson were at Wrigley last night and said it was awful. Everyone had to go into the concession area and were toe to toe and it was, of course, super hot. Poor kid, a trip to the ball game was his birthday present and he got really scared! My son slept right through it, LOL.
Yeah, it's too bad.

We lost enough trees in the storm last August. Monday night's storm thinned out the foliage a little more.

Old 08-06-2008, 02:44 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,355,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
My mom went through a tropical storm and said it was harrowing, so i can only imagine how scary the real deal would be!
The storm we had yesterday was rated as the worst storm Chicago has possibly ever had. Its nothing compared to what most of the country gets. Ill take some high winds and tons of lightning for 15 minutes, rather than deal with a hurricane, or raging fires, etc.

During that storm, Chicagoland received, get this, over 90,000 lightning strikes. Thats a 1/2 years worth in the span of maybe an hour or so! Tom Skilling said that storm was in a class of its own, and I believe him. lol

90,000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Frick!

Old 08-06-2008, 03:02 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,611,075 times
Quote:
The storm we had yesterday was rated as the worst storm Chicago has possibly ever had.
Seriously????

Yeah, even I've been through much worse than that.

Old 08-06-2008, 04:05 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,776,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
The storm we had yesterday was rated as the worst storm Chicago has possibly ever had. Its nothing compared to what most of the country gets. Ill take some high winds and tons of lightning for 15 minutes, rather than deal with a hurricane, or raging fires, etc.
That "microburst" storm last August was worse than this one. There was much more damage and more people lost power. That one affected the dense parts of the city in a much more significant way too.

Old 08-06-2008, 04:57 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,312,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
That "microburst" storm last August was worse than this one. There was much more damage and more people lost power. That one affected the dense parts of the city in a much more significant way too.
Yeah, I live in Lakeview, and in my part of town at least, I saw a lot more downed branches/trees and other damage in last year's storm compared to this one.

Last year's storm did come through pretty quick, though, and for all the damage it did, was over in no time. I was sitting in Noodles & Co. (Broadway and Diversey) when it hit... I remember the wind howling and the rain hitting the windows in sheets, and the windows actually started moving and water was coming in. They made everyone move towards the back of the place, away from the windows. But by the time I was done with my meal, the storm was over, and I walked home... that's when I noticed all the downed branches, uprooted trees, etc. I couldn't believe it.

Old 08-06-2008, 07:10 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,597,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
The storm we had yesterday was rated as the worst storm Chicago has possibly ever had...
I think it was the worst in terms of lightning strikes, but in other catagories it was not even close to being the worst.

Old 08-06-2008, 08:09 PM

2,329 posts, read 6,631,507 times
Snapshot of the weather on this video

YouTube - Chicago Storm Northside 8/4/2008

From the Tribune:
"Nearly 90,000 thunderbolts had hit northern Illinois, according to the National Lightning Detection Network. At the storms' peak, it was firing off more than 800 bolts per minute; and that only counts those that hit the ground. 'There was no precedent for this," said WGN meteorologist Tom Skilling. "In every way imaginable, that storm last night was in its own league.'"

That amount of lightning accounted for 6 months worth.

Old 08-07-2008, 03:22 PM

399 posts, read 1,549,466 times
Sweet! I used to attempt to chase them younger back in the Fort Wayne area (bored, you may agree, but also it IS Fort Wayne...) and actually saw one for the first time off of Highway 160 in Colorado, near Durango...You are SO Lucky! We get tons of waterspouts in the Keys too! It's cool to see them from a safe distance! (A waterspout is still a tornado, just hasn't reached landfall)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago