Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2008, 04:05 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by raleightransplant View Post
Yeah--I think it was Saveur who recently rated Chicago the #1 food city in the country. Some phenomenal restaurants in Chicago including Alinea and Charlie Trotter's. There is also an astonishing variety of ethnic food in Chicago...one of the very elite cities for great ethnic food. As for Southern food, you can find that in many large cities outside the South. A friend of mine had her best BBQ experience in NYC of all places.
There's a barbecue place about 5 blocks from me that has become so well-known that DD&D on the Food Network did a spot on it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mu-oobRhesU

That is kind of a fluke though. Most of what passes as barbecue in this town, particularly ribs, is abysmal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2008, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coog78 View Post
Talk about delusional. NYC is the ONLY American city that could even remotely be considered for that list. Tokyo, London, Hong Kong, NYC, and Paris are the most relevant urban areas worldwide. You're an idiot if you think London needs New York. London is far more fast paced and urban than NYC could ever hope to be. chicago, ha! that's funny!
Chicago is the Corvette of international cities. The Ferraris and Porsches can try write us off as a cheap imitation of a true class contender, but they can't ignore us because we're still right on their heels.

Old 08-07-2008, 04:47 PM

71 posts, read 194,995 times
Default Chicago vs. Houston

Chicago has:

More Progressive Open Minded People
More Distinguished Neighborhoods
The Better Sports Town(in My opinion)
The Better City for the Olympics
Better Restaurants all cuisines and prices ranges
Better Museums and Culture
Better Parks
Better Public Gardens
Better Zoo & Aquarium
Better Public Transportation
Better Airports(maybe not sure about that one)
Better Lake and River Views
Better Colleges
Better Architecture
Better Hospitals
Better Options For Bike Riding
Better Options for canoeing,sailing and even Yachting
Better Options for Walking/Sight Seeing
Better Options for the Tourists(maybe that's not such a good thing in some Peoples Opinions)
Better Spring,Summer & Fall Weather

Houston has:
Better Winter Weather(i will give Houston that one)
Better Public Schools(maybe)
Lower Sales Tax(not by much)

Chicago and Houston are even in one area
Highways and Traffic Jams

Last edited by APPLEI; 08-07-2008 at 05:15 PM..

Old 08-07-2008, 05:03 PM

102 posts, read 376,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Attrill View Post
Glad to, here's a small sampling....

Cajun Creole: ... Rajun Cajun ...
Haha, calling Rajun Cajun "cajun/creole" is an insult to both cajun/creole and rajun cajun.

Old 08-07-2008, 05:06 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,355,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by APPLEI View Post
Houston has:
Better Weather(i will give Houston that one)
Hop on a flight tonight to Houston and then write back and tell us that it has "better weather". For those who like mild winters, Houston would be the better choice. But for those of us who like 4 seasons with mild summers, Houston is the ultimate nightmare.

Old 08-07-2008, 05:09 PM

4,721 posts, read 15,608,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
Funny you mentioned that since it's the Chicagoans bashing L.A. on their forum. Everyone's complaining about Chicagoans' insecurity and making fun of flyover country's (the Midwest) hicky attitudes and values. Talk about the "Pot Calling the Kettle Black!" What comes around goes around.
Wow, what an nice,classy realtor. Remember-"Word Of Mouth" = new clients.A member on this forum is moving to Houston and just sold his house on the North SHore, I will point this thread out to him, wouldnt want someone like this as his realtor. I had to live in Houston for 5 years. I have been to purgatory.

Old 08-07-2008, 05:11 PM

71 posts, read 194,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Hop on a flight tonight to Houston and then write back and tell us that it has "better weather". For those who like mild winters, Houston would be the better choice. But for those of us who like 4 seasons with mild summers, Houston is the ultimate nightmare.
GOOD POINT!!!
Chicago Has better Spring,Summer and Fall Whether
3 out of 4 ain't bad
The Only Time I've ever been to Houston was January 2004 when the temperature was in the Lower 60's in the daytime and Lower 40's at night

Last edited by APPLEI; 08-07-2008 at 05:25 PM..

Old 08-07-2008, 05:14 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,355,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by APPLEI View Post
GOOD POINT!!!
Chicago Has better Spring,Summer and Fall Whether
3 out of 4 ain't bad
BINGO!

Unless you like Hell-spawned sauna weather, Houston sucks.

Old 08-07-2008, 05:15 PM

4,721 posts, read 15,608,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
The HORRORS of houston heat is somethng you must experience to believe, Humidity,thy name is HOUSTON. And unlike a midwest cold snap, it lasts for months and months.

Old 08-07-2008, 05:18 PM

Yeah, we had our burst of hot humidity (though it barely broke 90)... and now tonight it's gonna dip into the upper 50s (mid-60s by the lake). A/C is off, windows are open, the cool air that will come pouring in tonight will stick around long enough to keep my apartment in the low 70s tomorrow afternoon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago