Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2008, 04:32 PM

3,100 posts, read 3,301,832 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
Chicago's music scene gets hot from time to time, then fades, then gets hot again. Right now Chicago hip-hop is quite hot (Kanye West, Lupe Fiasco, Common, etc.). A few years back it was the "roots rock" movement within the indie scene. Usually Chicago gets noticed for being "outside the box", while Los Angeles is largely the home of industry-packaged stuff (bands need to be twice as good to get noticed in Chicago). There will always be cool bands in California, however. It's such a large state, usually trend-setting, and it can't stay down forever.
Honestly, if anyone in the entertainment industry grew up or is from California, I kind of don't count them, because they were already pretty integrated in the scene to be honest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2008, 07:58 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,609,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Attrill View Post
I'm not sure where someone was born matters all that much, Wilco came to Chicago from Belleville, but are definitely a Chicago band. Buddy Guy is from Louisiana, but he is definitely a Chicago musician. The important thing is that a group really adopts a city as a home, and contributes to that city's cultural life - i.e. Buddy Guy's club and festival appearances, Jeff Tweedy doing fundraising concerts in his living room, Billy Corgan playing at the Hideout for a few months to form Zwan, etc...

Whatever the criteria - I think both LA and Chicago are on the short list of great US music cities.
I am not making where people were born or grew up an issue; the other person is and he is wrong with his info and lack of info.

Last edited by Avengerfire; 09-17-2008 at 08:07 PM..

Old 09-17-2008, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsteelers247 View Post
...Fleetwood Mac: Born in Phoenix, AZ, grew up in Arcadia, CA...
LMFAO

UMMM three members out of five members in the 2nd incarnation of that band are from the U.K.

In the first incarnation all of them were from the U.K.

Nicks and Buckingham are from California. Furthermore,they did not found the band Einstein.

Since when is Fleetwood Mac a person???

Want me to prove you wrong on more???

Last edited by Avengerfire; 09-17-2008 at 08:10 PM..

Old 09-17-2008, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsteelers247 View Post
Here I will do it for you....

...Well there you go. This list is not telling you what bands came to LA to make it big but the ones whose founders were all born/grew up in CA. Please don't insult my intelligence again, you know not everything in our culture today originated in the midwest. If you want to argue with me about this then I won't reply because I have already provided the facts and I really don't like having an argument about CA on a Chicago forum.
You still have no grasp on who founded these bands and where the individual members came from. I can punch holes in your list.

You provided "The Facts?" Dream on.

Old 09-18-2008, 12:00 AM

1,780 posts, read 1,761,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
You still have no grasp on who founded these bands and where the individual members came from. I can punch holes in your list.

You provided "The Facts?" Dream on.
Please, you are just looking for the most insignificant little details and trying to elaborate on them because you know that you are wrong. I proved you wrong when you said that a big majority of them were from Chicago or the Midwest(with the exception of a few of the band members from around three of the bands listed). I proved you wrong when you said most of them didn't grow up in CA. When I listed Fleetwood Mac I was referring to the lead band members. If that is the only one that you can comment on then I guess I proved my point. Just because you are filled with hate for California and or LA like 90% of everyone on the Chicago forum are doesn't mean you have to deny facts. A lot of people say Kanye is from Chicago when he was born in Atlanta and moved there when he was a kid. I listed the ones that moved to California at a young age as well so I guess those count too. Sorry dude.

Old 09-18-2008, 12:10 AM

3,396 posts, read 7,210,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
I am not making where people were born or grew up an issue; the other person is and he is wrong with his info and lack of info.
I'm not disputing that at all, I just think there are better ways to judge a bands influence on the music culture of the city they are currently based in. I then outlined some criteria that make sense to me for a band influencing a city's music culture. For me that is a more important thing to look at than who was born where. I think it would be best to put aside a lot of the discussions of who was born where and discuss what musicians are active in each city. Or even just Chicago, I think a lot of this came out of me responding to someone saying Chicago has had no music other than House, and I never intended anything I wrote to be a vs. type thing, just a listing of what is happening in recent years in Chicago.

Old 09-18-2008, 12:45 AM

3,763 posts, read 6,710,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyun-Soo View Post
I've never been to Chicago but judging from the pictures, it's totally underrated.

It's one of the few cities in the U.S. that has such a huge downtown with world class skyscrapers like New York.

By the way, how big is tourism there?
Chicago has the 2nd largest tourism in the country behind NY. Chicago is underrated because of its location but people around the Chicago area(Chicago, Milwaukee, Rockford, NW Indiana, etc) know what time it is.

Old 09-18-2008, 12:49 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
i love chicago. carl sandberg writes great stuff about it. there is a grandness to it.
a former resident.

Old 09-18-2008, 06:10 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,789,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattywo85 View Post
Chicago has the 2nd largest tourism in the country behind NY. Chicago is underrated because of its location but people around the Chicago area(Chicago, Milwaukee, Rockford, NW Indiana, etc) know what time it is.
Are you sure about that? I thought Orlando, Las Vegas, and Los Angeles were higher than Chicago on that list.

The question is, "Is Chicago Underrated?", and if we're that high on the tourism list it's hard to argue we're underrated!

Old 09-18-2008, 06:12 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,789,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
i love chicago. carl sandberg writes great stuff about it. there is a grandness to it.
a former resident.
Ouch! Sandberg could be brutal in his descriptions of Chicago. But most of the Chicago he described doesn't exist anymore. This isn't a working class factory town anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago