Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2008, 03:10 PM

88 posts, read 357,671 times

Advertisements

Chicago - I used to live in Boston and I had my friends in The North End and loved that neighborhood.
So for those of you that have been to Boston's NorthEnd:
- What is the equivelant of that 'hood in Chicago?
- And where can I find a place like Mike's Pastries or Pizzeria Regina?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2008, 03:39 PM

5,525 posts, read 13,950,687 times
Honestly, I don't think there's anyplace in Chicago similar to the North End. I don't think the "Italian" neighborhoods of Chicago are really all that similar. Clearly, the architecture of the North End simply isn't going to be found here in Chicago. The bustling street life of the North End can be found in Chicago, but the demographics would be a lot different.

Can't comment on Mike's Pastry or Pizzeria Regina as I'm not actually that big a fan of either.

Old 08-14-2008, 04:02 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,792,528 times
The North End is a truly unique urban area. An equivalent can't be found anywhere, as far as I'm concerned.

Italians in Chicago are perhaps one of the most dispersed communities in Chicago. The old Italian neighborhoods on the West Side were devastated by freeway construction and white flight, and only small fragments remain (the strip on Taylor Street being the most famous fragment). There are several great Italian restaurants and bakeries in Chicago and the near western suburbs, however. Do a search on www.LTHforum.com for the scoop on the truly authentic places.

Old 08-14-2008, 09:27 PM

102 posts, read 376,801 times
As others have said, there is no equivalent Italian neighborhood in Chicago. You can find really, really good Italian food here, but it usually doesn't have that easy, down home feel you can get in the north end.

As far as Mike's pastries goes, I haven't been able to bring myself to eat a cannoli or anything for fear of disappointment, but I've heard really good things about pasticceria natalina (5406 N. Clark). I've been meaning to try it out for awhile. Apparently they pipe fresh cannoli there.

For pizza a la Regina's, I'm at a loss. If you can find something, I'd like to hear about it!

Old 08-14-2008, 09:43 PM

Architecturally there is nothing like the North End in Chicago. It's a uniquely East Coast scale, grain, and texture. And age, I supposse! Boston is a cool and unique city. Chicago has it's own thing going on, but it's not Boston.

My suggestion is to read up on Chicago School architecture or other things that make Chicago a unique place. You won't be able to replicate the North End, but maybe you'll find something new that you'll fall in love with here.

Old 08-14-2008, 09:54 PM

88 posts, read 357,671 times
Good tip, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
Architecturally there is nothing like the North End in Chicago. It's a uniquely East Coast scale, grain, and texture. And age, I supposse! Boston is a cool and unique city. Chicago has it's own thing going on, but it's not Boston.

My suggestion is to read up on Chicago School architecture or other things that make Chicago a unique place. You won't be able to replicate the North End, but maybe you'll find something new that you'll fall in love with here.

Old 08-14-2008, 10:56 PM

2,141 posts, read 7,866,968 times
Elmwood Park is pretty Italian. There is an Italian soccer club, lots of Italian delis, stores. etc. Many Italian-Americans and still some older Italians that speak Italian.

Old 08-14-2008, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinolala View Post
Elmwood Park is pretty Italian. There is an Italian soccer club, lots of Italian delis, stores. etc. Many Italian-Americans and still some older Italians that speak Italian.
It's Italian, but nothing like the North End! Same with River Grove...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago