Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 08:09 PM

14 posts, read 42,188 times

Advertisements

Bus is nice for East West transit north of the city.

Train is good to get in the loop or out to Ohare in a jiff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
I live 5 minutes from the Sheridan Red Line and 5 minutes from the Express Buses on Lakeshore. It's awesome having the choice depending on what I want. It's strange how one day I can wake up and just REALLY be wanting to take the train to work for no reason. Other mornings I wake up and instantly know I'm taking the bus that day. They're quite different situations. On the bus it's the beginning of the route, I get the exact same seat every day which I like, it takes longer, but it's more peaceful.

The train is a lot faster but much more in-your-face with other people mashed together.

Anyway.....I think there's a place for both of them. Bus I like when I'm just running from say Irving Park to Belmont and dont' want to walk, or crossing east and west. Trains are much better for getting somewhere quickly, but they normally don't connect exactly where you want to go unless it's downtown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2009, 07:31 AM

258 posts, read 756,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG13 View Post
Has anyone heard about this.... [CN purchase of EJ&E allowing abandonment of St Charles Air Line] ?????????
Yes. The purchase has been approved. What does this have to do with transit?

Old 02-15-2009, 11:53 AM

40 posts, read 169,377 times
I've been reading, reading, and more reading trying to figure out the public transportation. I'm so confusded! What is the difference between the "L" and Metra? Is it just two different orgainizations that run them, but they are both trains?

Old 02-15-2009, 12:39 PM

2,242 posts, read 6,214,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tanzall View Post
I've been reading, reading, and more reading trying to figure out the public transportation. I'm so confusded! What is the difference between the "L" and Metra? Is it just two different orgainizations that run them, but they are both trains?
The L is the CTA(Chicago Transit Association)
Chicago and near suburbs
More stops so you can stop at different parts of the city.
Pretty much Chicago's train.

The Metra is for places that are far like far suburbs, and less stops, and faster.
This is the Chicagoland train.

Old 02-15-2009, 03:50 PM

40 posts, read 169,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom View Post
Chicago and near suburbs

The Metra is for places that are far like far suburbs, and less stops, and faster.

Ahh!!!!!!!! They're both trains. I'm very directionally challenged, so I better get up to speed fast. I mean I couldn't find my way out of a 1 door room, not kidding. Thanks Venom.

Old 02-15-2009, 06:39 PM

16,361 posts, read 30,070,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom View Post
Chicago and near suburbs

If you go to transitchicago.com, there is a trip planner that combines the CTA, Pace, and Metra Rail systems.

There are locations within the city that are easier to get to by Metra than CTA. For example, Edison Park from the Loop is easier by train.

Old 02-15-2009, 07:04 PM

3,631 posts, read 10,199,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
If you go to transitchicago.com, there is a trip planner that combines the CTA, Pace, and Metra Rail systems.

There are locations within the city that are easier to get to by Metra than CTA. For example, Edison Park from the Loop is easier by train.
Actually, the one on transitchicago.com is only the google trip planner, which only has CTA routes.

rtachicago.com trip planner includes Metra and Pace.

Old 02-15-2009, 09:37 PM

16,361 posts, read 30,070,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supernerdgirl View Post
Actually, the one on transitchicago.com is only the google trip planner, which only has CTA routes.

rtachicago.com trip planner includes Metra and Pace.
I use the one at Transitchicago.com to plan trips from Crystal Lake all the time and it does include Metrarail:

For example:

Transit directions to 1 N State St, Chicago, IL 60602
Crystal Lake Metra

Travel time: about 1 hour 34 minsShowing Trip 1

Train - UP-NW - Union Pacific Northwest - Direction: Chicago OTC
Service run by Metra
4:47amDepart Crystal Lake Metra
1 hour 5 mins5:52amArrive Irving Park Metra
Train - UP-NW - Union Pacific Northwest - Direction: Chicago OTCService run by Metra[SIZE=-1]4:47am [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]Depart Crystal Lake Metra[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]5:52am [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]Arrive Irving Park Metra[/SIZE]« PreviousZoom in
Trip overview
Next »Subway - Blue Line - Direction: Forest Park
6 mins to make transfer

Service run by Chicago Transit Authority - 1-888-YOURCTA
5:58amDepart Irving Park-Blue
20 mins6:18amArrive Washington-Blue
Subway - Blue Line - Direction: Forest Park6 mins to make transferService run by Chicago Transit Authority - 1-888-YOURCTA[SIZE=-1]5:58am [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]Depart Irving Park-Blue[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]6:18am [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]Arrive Washington-Blue[/SIZE]« PreviousZoom in
Trip overview
Next »Walk to 1 N State St About 3 mins
Hide detailsShow details
Beta: Use caution – This route may be missing sidewalks or pedestrian paths.

1.Head south on N Dearborn St toward W Calhoun Pl430 ft
2.Turn left at W Madison St430 ft

Walk to 1 N State StAbout 3 mins« PreviousZoom in
Trip overview
Next »1 N State St
Chicago, IL 60602
« PreviousZoom in
Trip overview
Next »

Travel time: about 1 hour 38 minsShowing Trip 2

Service run by Metra
5:12amDepart Crystal Lake Metra 1 hour 5 mins6:17amArrive Irving Park Metra Train - UP-NW - Union Pacific Northwest - Direction: Chicago OTCService run by Metra[SIZE=-1]5:12am [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]Depart Crystal Lake Metra[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]6:17am [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]Arrive Irving Park Metra[/SIZE]« PreviousZoom in
Trip overview
Next »Subway - Blue Line - Direction: Forest Park
10 mins to make transfer
6:26amDepart Irving Park-Blue 20 mins6:47amArrive Washington-Blue Subway - Blue Line - Direction: Forest Park10 mins to make transferService run by Chicago Transit Authority - 1-888-YOURCTA[SIZE=-1]6:26am [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]Depart Irving Park-Blue[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]6:47am [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]Arrive Washington-Blue[/SIZE]« PreviousZoom in
Trip overview
Hide detailsShow details

Trip overview
Next »1 N State St
Chicago, IL 60602
« PreviousZoom in
Trip overview
Next »

Travel time: about 1 hour 39 minsShowing Trip 3

Service run by Metra
5:36amDepart Crystal Lake Metra 1 hour 8 mins6:44amArrive Irving Park Metra Train - UP-NW - Union Pacific Northwest - Direction: Chicago OTCService run by Metra[SIZE=-1]5:36am [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]Depart Crystal Lake Metra[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]6:44am [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]Arrive Irving Park Metra[/SIZE]« PreviousZoom in
Trip overview
Next »Subway - Blue Line - Direction: UIC
7 mins to make transfer
6:51amDepart Irving Park-Blue 20 mins7:11amArrive Washington-Blue Subway - Blue Line - Direction: UIC7 mins to make transferService run by Chicago Transit Authority - 1-888-YOURCTA[SIZE=-1]6:51am [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]Depart Irving Park-Blue[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]7:11am [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]Arrive Washington-Blue[/SIZE]« PreviousZoom in
Trip overview
Hide detailsShow details

Trip overview
Next »1 N State St
Chicago, IL 60602
« PreviousZoom in
Trip overview
Next »

1 N State St
Chicago, IL 60602

Old 02-15-2009, 09:44 PM

3,631 posts, read 10,199,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
I use the one at Transitchicago.com to plan trips from Crystal Lake all the time and it does include Metrarail:

For example:

Transit directions to 1 N State St, Chicago, IL 60602
Crystal Lake Metra
oh oops. i don't think it includes Pace though, unless you can figure out a way to make it include Pace. i started working at Western and Touhy a couple weeks ago and didn't realize i could just take a bus down Touhy from the Howard L, because when i would look it up on the CTA's Google trip planner it never showed the 290 (I can't figure out why exactly that's a Pace route anyway).

Old 02-15-2009, 10:20 PM

15,585 posts, read 27,438,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supernerdgirl View Post
... because when i would look it up on the CTA's Google trip planner it never showed the 290 (I can't figure out why exactly that's a Pace route anyway).
290 is a Pace route because a vast majority of the parts of Touhy it runs on are in the burbs.

I hope 290 always stays a Pace route. Pace is much more reliable and cleaner than the CTA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago