Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2008, 07:44 AM

1,722 posts, read 2,555,044 times

Advertisements

Old Irving Park is a really nice area. Old, well-kept vintage houses with decently sized back yards. It can be a bit pricey, but it couldn't hurt to look.

Also, Jefferson Park. It's a little further out than Old Irving Park, but right off of the Blue Line, so it's convenient to both Downtown and O'Hare. A lot of charming bungalows that should definitely be in your price range.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2008, 07:53 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,776,941 times
Lincoln Square, Ravenswood, Roscoe Village, The Southport Corridor (West Lakeview), and Andersonville are all lower-density city neighborhoods with lots of kids and small back yards. The housing stock is usually either two-flats, single-family houses, or occasional larger apartment buildings.

Portage Park, Jefferson Park, Norwood Park, and Mayfair are all "Bungalow Belt" neighborhoods on the Northwest Side with lower crime rates. Slightly lower density than the forementioned places, but still houses on small lots.

Sauganash, Edgebrook, and Beverly are all safer city neighborhoods with more of a suburban feel. Sauganash and Edgebrook are part of the "Forest Glen" Community Area. They are on the far North Side, whereas Beverly is on "da Sout Side".

Ravenswood Manor is kind of between bungalow belt and suburban feel, and is just awesome for families. The houses and parks are great. The Governor lives there. Irving Park also has some great houses, particularly in the 'Old Irving Park' and 'Independence Park' sections, but crime is a just a little higher there than in the other neighborhoods I've mentioned.

Last edited by Lookout Kid; 08-28-2008 at 08:13 AM.. Reason: "North Park" should have been "Forest Glen" Community Area. Thanks Mr. Mappy!

Old 08-28-2008, 07:56 AM

211 posts, read 947,423 times
Jefferson Park and Portage Park are nice and you can get a house with a yard for that price. Irving Park also.

Old 08-28-2008, 08:06 AM

1,722 posts, read 2,555,044 times
Sauganash & Edgebrook are actually part of the Forest Glen community area.

Old 08-28-2008, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Mappy View Post
Sauganash & Edgebrook are actually part of the Forest Glen community area.
Oops, you're right. I edited my post to correct this.

Old 08-28-2008, 01:00 PM

204 posts, read 578,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
Lincoln Square, Ravenswood, Roscoe Village, The Southport Corridor (West Lakeview), and Andersonville are all lower-density city neighborhoods with lots of kids and small back yards. The housing stock is usually either two-flats, single-family houses, or occasional larger apartment buildings.

Portage Park, Jefferson Park, Norwood Park, and Mayfair are all "Bungalow Belt" neighborhoods on the Northwest Side with lower crime rates. Slightly lower density than the forementioned places, but still houses on small lots.

Sauganash, Edgebrook, and Beverly are all safer city neighborhoods with more of a suburban feel. Sauganash and Edgebrook are part of the "Forest Glen" Community Area. They are on the far North Side, whereas Beverly is on "da Sout Side".

Ravenswood Manor is kind of between bungalow belt and suburban feel, and is just awesome for families. The houses and parks are great. The Governor lives there. Irving Park also has some great houses, particularly in the 'Old Irving Park' and 'Independence Park' sections, but crime is a just a little higher there than in the other neighborhoods I've mentioned.
Thank you, this helps!!

Old 08-28-2008, 01:23 PM

1,966 posts, read 6,073,774 times
Default Beverly

Quote:
Originally Posted by apa1128 View Post
Beverly looks nice. Is it safe? When I mentioned to my husband it was on the Southside, he didn't seem too interested.
Yes, Beverly is safe. I personally think it is the last great deal within the city limits (search what you can get for 600K online). It's definitely not for everyone, though, depends on your priorities. First, you really should have kids if you want to reap the benefits. Otherwise, living closer to the loop makes more sense. Then, you would have to put a high value on things like architectural variety (antithesis of cookie cutter -- lots of spectacular Heatherington, Griffin, etc. homes), mature trees, huge lots (75x150 not uncommon), hills, reasonable prices, deep roots/sense of community, etc. against the shortcomings such as distance from the loop (9-10 miles), distance from lake, relative isolation, and relative lack of commercial vibrancy, old homes might need some work, lack of an unequivocally good public non-magnet high school (for K-8 Sutherland is highly regarded and there are many good Catholic private schools). Many people also don't like the south side. Metra to Lasalle street station is about 21-30 minutes depending on what part of beverly you're in, but with Dan Ryan Expansion I can literally be downtown in 15 minutes from my house. Every neighborhood is a balance of strengths and shortcomings when factoring price in so it depends on your priorities. I would say there aren't too many city neighborhoods where you are guaranteed to be any more safe than Beverly, though.

I would check out Welcome to www.beverlymorganpark.net to get a sense of what's going on commercially in the neighborhood. There is definitely some cool stuff but not nearly to the extent that one would find on the north side. When the price is factored in though it's very hard to beat.

Old 08-28-2008, 01:50 PM

The South Side has a bad reputation nationwide, but it does have quite a few safe areas. Beverly is one of those.

But if you really want to be in the safest part of the city, the far Northwest Side has the lowest crime rates in Chicago proper. The same can be said for Forest Glen, which is a bit more to the east.

All of the neighborhoods I listed have low crime rates.

Old 08-28-2008, 01:56 PM

142 posts, read 427,107 times
Beverly is great. I had a friend who grew up at 108th and Maplewood. I was always jealous because I grew up in boring Palos and loved the atmosphere of his block. Beverly is pretty well insulated from the south side trouble areas, and the housing stock is unreal.

Old 08-28-2008, 02:37 PM

67 posts, read 207,884 times
Edison Park and Norwood Park fit the bill too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago