Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2008, 01:17 AM

8,515 posts, read 16,182,116 times

Advertisements

You use one story to justify your logic..................How often do you hear stories like this, not to often?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
Woman beaten on her birthday by homeless panhandlers:

Woman In Coma After Alleged Beating By Homeless Couple - News Story - WMAQ | Chicago
Homeless couple charged in S. Loop attack :: CHICAGO SUN-TIMES :: Chicago Crime (http://www.suntimes.com/news/24-7/1129251,loopattack082708.article - broken link)

People have scoffed at my warnings against interacting with panhandlers in the city. Now one must see my logic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2008, 01:45 AM

6,025 posts, read 15,343,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoRon View Post
You use one story to justify your logic..................How often do you hear stories like this, not to often?
can't speak for Avengerfire, but considering many homeless people suffer from some sort of mental illness or substance abuse issues, it's just not wise to press your luck when dealing w/ them and the vast majority are just best left alone.

IMHO, this story has only come to light due to the severity of the incident (woman was put in drug induced coma) and the fact that it happened in the "safe" South Loop. I have no doubt at all there are more reports of women being assaulted by the homeless and both men and women being harassed by them, whether verbally or physically. these stories just don't make it on the news though

Old 08-28-2008, 08:36 AM

142 posts, read 427,249 times
Get a grip, this doesn't happen that often. Pretty soon we're going to have to profile every single person in the city?

How about the beating of homeless people by kids? 10-year-olds attack, beat homeless man, police say - CNN.com

Am I going to cross the street to avoid 10 year olds now? Nope.

For the record, the Tribune states that the male victim of this attack DID try to subdue these people, but things got out of control. The poster who claimed he did nothing should have read that. Also, FWIW, about once a week I buy the same homeless guy an egg mcmuffin at the mcdonald's by my work and eat one with him. He's a very nice guy, never harasses me...point is, they aren't ALL nut jobs.

Old 08-28-2008, 08:48 AM

1,953 posts, read 4,960,147 times
There is a guy that sits on the corner everyday asking people for money with his sign. Well about 3 weeks ago I was getting coffee in Starbucks and I saw the guy inside paying for his drink. He took out a roll of 20s which had to equal 300+. Since I saw that I dont look at "homeless" people the same. I know that most of them truly are homeless and you cant get a job without a residence and I do feel sorry for them. However there are quite a few that take advantage of other peoples kindness.

Old 08-28-2008, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by long101 View Post
There is a guy that sits on the corner everyday asking people for money with his sign. Well about 3 weeks ago I was getting coffee in Starbucks and I saw the guy inside paying for his drink. He took out a roll of 20s which had to equal 300+. Since I saw that I dont look at "homeless" people the same. I know that most of them truly are homeless and you cant get a job without a residence and I do feel sorry for them. However there are quite a few that take advantage of other peoples kindness.
Yeah, but even the ones who don't need help do their part to relieve me of my white, liberal guilt

Old 08-28-2008, 10:14 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,618,797 times
That's such crap. People confuse guilt and empathy. I can care about someone's life without feeling guilty for what I have. If that makes me "a bleeding heart liberal" then so be it. What a travesty when, in this country, caring about the less fortunate is a four-letter word.

Old 08-28-2008, 10:23 AM

I was making fun of myself, so I don't see how you can think that's crap. I agree that there's a fuzzy line between guilt and empathy. I'd like to think I'm being empathetic when I give to panhandlers (always food, never money, by the way), but it also makes me feel good about myself. I think that's unavoidable. Does that make my giving self-centered? Probably, but I'm sure the dude with the egg mcmuffin could care less about my internal crisis. He's just happy to eat a hot breakfast.

Old 08-28-2008, 10:58 AM

170 posts, read 535,924 times
My fiance and I emptied our pockets of change for a woman not too long ago, and it was literaly ALL the cash we had on us. The next step would have been for us to hand over our bank cards. After swearing up and down that she'd "be greatful for whatever we could give," she took one look at what we handed her, rolled her eyes, made some rude remark, and turned to harrass a girl who was walking right by us.

I don't see myself "donating" to anyone else, after that. I have about $200 TO MY NAME at the moment. Most of that change was change that we had found on the gorund... we dive to the sidewalk for pennies to save, while I've seen people just empty handfulls of coins on the ground to avoid carrying them. Many $50 deposits have been made to our savings account just from change that we pick up from the ground and find in public couches. Sure, we look like morons, and maybe we are. But walking away from a couch with $3 that I didn't have before sure does feel good.

Old 08-28-2008, 11:13 AM

78,376 posts, read 60,566,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
That's such crap. People confuse guilt and empathy. I can care about someone's life without feeling guilty for what I have. If that makes me "a bleeding heart liberal" then so be it. What a travesty when, in this country, caring about the less fortunate is a four-letter word.
It's not a bad thing.
I worked downtown for about 8 years but at that time I was young, fit and not an easy target so I didn't worry about being assaulted by the homeless except on a few instances where I came across people who were obviously *not right* mentally that were acting aggressively.

It's a hard call, when are you helping and when are you enabling?
Additionally, many of these people are pretty dang dangerous with past histories of violence, mental illness, carrying Hep C, HIV etc.

In general I avoid them but if the guy is playing an instrument, is polite and seems not messed up on drugs etc. then I'd give them some money.

I've also seen most of the various scams like....I need a ticket to get to Milwaukee and then if you go to buy it for them they can exchange the ticket for cash. I would have fallen for that one but it seemed odd that the woman wouldn't go up to the ticket counter with me and the ticket lady let me in on it.

Old 08-28-2008, 11:21 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,372,455 times
Its best just to not talk to them. Ive had a few run-ins with panhandlers who were extremely persistent and annoying. It wasnt until I freaked out on them that they left us alone. I dont advise freaking out on them, but there were 2 other guys with me at the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago