Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 02:13 PM

2 posts, read 4,024 times

Advertisements

Was it Seattle? I just moved to Chicago for transit too, and Seattle is a mess. The definition of NIMBY gridlock.

What were you hoping to do with CTA?

Quote:
Originally Posted by supernerdgirl View Post
my aim is to work in transit, btw, so I don't have much to offer in the zoning of buildings and such.

i can tell you that i moved here from one of the worst planned place I've ever been to... yes, worse than Chicago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2009, 05:44 PM

3,631 posts, read 10,234,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_anon View Post
Was it Seattle? I just moved to Chicago for transit too, and Seattle is a mess. The definition of NIMBY gridlock.

What were you hoping to do with CTA?
Take it over.... In lieu of that, I don't know, service planning sounds interesting. I plan on having an internship there by next year while getting my masters in urban planning...

I moved from Tennessee, sprawlville, no such thing as transit, really.

Old 07-14-2009, 06:31 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,199,461 times
I wouldn't call zoning in Chicago a JOKE. People bend and sway the rules, but it's not like this is Houston. The zoning for the most part works and makes sense. It might need to be updated here and there are far as old industrial areas, etc, but the city flows fairly well.

Go to Houston and you'll see zoning (or lack thereof) that is a joke. Highrises next to a single familiy house next to a gas station.

Old 07-14-2009, 06:32 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,199,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supernerdgirl View Post
i can tell you that i moved here from one of the worst planned place I've ever been to... yes, worse than Chicago.
I honestly think for a major urban city Chicago actually had some quality and rational planning.

Old 07-14-2009, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
I honestly think for a major urban city Chicago actually had some quality and rational planning.
you know, I don't remember why I wrote that sentence that way.

Old 07-14-2009, 06:56 PM

1,975 posts, read 5,213,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
I wouldn't call zoning in Chicago a JOKE. People bend and sway the rules, but it's not like this is Houston. The zoning for the most part works and makes sense. It might need to be updated here and there are far as old industrial areas, etc, but the city flows fairly well.

Go to Houston and you'll see zoning (or lack thereof) that is a joke. Highrises next to a single familiy house next to a gas station.
I generally agree with this. There some examples of poor planning in this city, but compared to your typical American city it is pretty good. I think most of what I see built is generally to scale with the existing neighborhoods. At least you don't see developers throwing up many strip plazas and suburban style houses/apartments in existing urban neighborhoods like you do in a lot of cities.

I do have some complaints that immediately come to mind though:

1. Broadway through Uptown/Edgewater is way to auto-centric. It should serve as a more of a pedestrian friendly strip for the residents of these high density neighborhoods.

2. Milwaukee Ave from Bucktown to California is a bit of a dead zone and does not provide connectivity between the two neighborhoods. I understand there is a plan to redevelop this area, but it would be nice to see some progress.

3. Too many of the new downtown highrises lack street retail, especially in Streeterville.

4. We need another EL stop in the South Loop around 16th Street. We could use a lot of rail expansion actually, but this seems like any easy addition for this growing neighborhood.

Old 07-14-2009, 07:05 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,612,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5Lakes View Post
..At least you don't see developers throwing up many strip plazas... in existing urban neighborhoods like you do in a lot of cities...
That is not true. For example drive up Broadway or Clark some time.You will see a few in Lake View. You will see even more in Uptown and Edgewater.

Old 07-14-2009, 07:39 PM

1,975 posts, read 5,213,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
That is not true. For example drive up Broadway or Clark some time.You will see a few in Lake View. You will see even more in Uptown and Edgewater.
I know there are some. I even pointed out that section of Broadway in Edgwater/Uptown in my first post. It is not nearly as bad as other cities I have been to though.

Old 07-14-2009, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5Lakes View Post
I know there are some. I even pointed out that section of Broadway in Edgwater/Uptown in my first post. It is not nearly as bad as other cities I have been to though.
Yeah, it's not like masses of large parking lots are in those strip areas.

Old 07-15-2009, 11:48 AM

5,288 posts, read 8,879,802 times
for those serious wonks:

Amazon.com: The Politics of Place: A History of Zoning in Chicago (Illinois): Joseph Schwieterman, Dana Caspall: Books
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago