Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2008, 03:09 PM
mls mls started this thread

6 posts, read 18,079 times

Advertisements

I am moving from Boston (grew up in Indy) and coming back to the midwest. Ideally I would be moving to Denver or somewhere near the mountains as I am an avid hiker, but may be offered a job in Chicago that would be dumb to turn down. I love Chicago, but my major hangup is that there are not many hiking options. I would be working downtown. Is there any neighborhood where the artsy outdoorsy people live. Willing to take the train in.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2008, 03:39 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,776,941 times
Artsy people and outdoorsy people are generally separate groups of people in my experience. The artsy hipster set tends to cling to certain neighborhoods like Wicker Park, Bucktown, Ukranian Village, East Pilsen, and Logan Square. Outdoorsy types would be found all over the city, though bikers often like to live near the lakeshore trail.

Old 09-01-2008, 05:59 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,743,416 times
When I lived in Uptown I noticed a lot of people living outdoors.

Old 09-01-2008, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
When I lived in Uptown I noticed a lot of people living outdoors.
Ha! That's a different kind of "outdoorsy" I think! Too funny. The tent cities have largely disappeared within the last few years, thankfully.

Old 09-01-2008, 09:16 PM

5,976 posts, read 13,112,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mls View Post
I am moving from Boston (grew up in Indy) and coming back to the midwest. Ideally I would be moving to Denver or somewhere near the mountains as I am an avid hiker, but may be offered a job in Chicago that would be dumb to turn down. I love Chicago, but my major hangup is that there are not many hiking options. I would be working downtown. Is there any neighborhood where the artsy outdoorsy people live. Willing to take the train in.
Thanks
Overall, Chicago is not exactly the haven for outdoorsy people, you do have to look around and find organizations to belong to. When I was a kid I was in scouts, as an adult I'm with a hiking club.

Outdoorsy people tend to be somewhat scattered like Lookout Kid mentioned. However I would say places like Oak Park, and probably Evanston have the kind of outdoorsy/back to nature people your looking for. As far as city proper it seems like Lincoln Square and even Hyde Park/U of C has a lot of people that are like this too.

On the edge of Chicagoland such as the Chaing O' Lakes area of NW Lake County has an outdoorsy/Wisconsin like vibe to it.

I have to say though the scarcity of outdoorsy culture is making me yearn to hopefully move to Madison, WI next year. Its only two hours away from friends and family, but is so much more of a hiking and biking culture there. Oh, I can't wait, I hope I get into the grad program!!

Old 09-01-2008, 09:43 PM

3,396 posts, read 7,208,408 times
What exactly do you mean by outdoorsy? I think outdoorsy is more of a city based thing - i.e. living in a city surrounded by parkland like Portland, Boulder, Tucson, etc.

I moved from Boston to Chicago 15 years ago and guess I would be considered "outdoorsy". I worked for the AMC in the White Mt.s in NH for 4 years, and currently hike, ski, and kayak on a fairly regular basis. I don't think there is any neighborhood in Chicago that is centered around outdoors activities. Your best bet would be to look for an "arty" neighborhood and then figure out what outdoorsy activities can work for you locally (that's how I got into kayaking) as well as thinking about flying to get to destinations instead of driving (it takes me as long to fly to Colorado as it did to drive from Boston to northern New Hampshire).

There are quite a few artsy neighborhoods - West Town, Wicker Park, Ukrainian Village, Pilsen, and Logan Square would be the main ones to look into.

Old 09-01-2008, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
I have to say though the scarcity of outdoorsy culture is making me yearn to hopefully move to Madison, WI next year. Its only two hours away from friends and family, but is so much more of a hiking and biking culture there. Oh, I can't wait, I hope I get into the grad program!!
That's my hometown, and I think you'd really like it there.

Old 09-02-2008, 06:48 AM
mls mls started this thread

6 posts, read 18,079 times
Thanks for all the help!! I knew Chicago wasn't so outdoorsy, but I was hoping there might be a nature preserve or something I could live near. When I lived in Boston I used to drive up to the White Mountains to go hiking fairly regularly, and my favorite thing is to sit out on a quiet porch and paint!! So that is how I mix artsy and outdoorsy. Guess it comes down to job vs. city.

Thanks again fro all the help!

Old 09-02-2008, 06:56 AM

7,041 posts, read 15,028,509 times
Well, there are a ton of forest preserves everywhere but probably not what you are looking for. as for painting..why not at the lakefront?? It's about as scenic as you can get.

Old 09-02-2008, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mls View Post
Thanks for all the help!! I knew Chicago wasn't so outdoorsy, but I was hoping there might be a nature preserve or something I could live near.
Look up the Cook County Forest Preserves online for a map. Also, the Chicago Botanical Gardens (and Skokie Lagoons) are beautiful places to escape to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago