Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 09:54 AM

624 posts, read 1,071,849 times

Advertisements

OK, I'm considering purchasing a few Sec. 8 rentals in the not so rich neighborhoods of Chicago and was wondering about the safety tips.

I understand that I should not be buying on the blocks where there are 2+ boarded up houses. That's a given, so my plan will be to only look in the areas where homes are taken care of (i.e there is grass on the front lawn, max 1 boarded up house on the block).

But, while I evaluate the area(s) for potential, there is a chance that I will be in a tight situation.. What are some safety tips when walking some of these areas? I'm looking for legal ways (so concealed weapons permit is out of the question). Thanks to all in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2008, 10:43 AM

838 posts, read 3,096,861 times
wear a bulletproof vest at all times. carry a taser if possible

Old 09-16-2008, 10:49 AM

569 posts, read 1,819,994 times
In all seriousness, don't tilt your ballcap, don't wear an ipod.

Old 09-16-2008, 11:54 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,789,833 times
All the typical "walk like you know where you're going, be aware of your surroundings, etc." B.S. isn't going to help you much if you're actually spending a lot of time in a rough neighborhood instead of just passing through. Really, there's not much you can do to protect yourself other than trying to blend in. If look like you've got something valuable, you're more likely to be targetted.

But you can make your building more secure by fencing the permiter (with a particularly tall gate at the alley) and by making sure the window locks work. A friend of mine grew up in Pilsen as a Mexican immigrant, and his father bought up a bunch of buildings in the 1980s. He was one of the first landlords in Pilsen to put tough metal gates/fences around buildings, and some neighbors complained about it at first. However, it eventually caught on and now most well-maintained buildings in Pilsen have them (I'm not talking about chain-link fences here, but more attractive wrought-iron fences and gates).

Old 09-16-2008, 12:01 PM

3,100 posts, read 3,301,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
All the typical "walk like you know where you're going, be aware of your surroundings, etc." B.S. isn't going to help you much if you're actually spending a lot of time in a rough neighborhood instead of just passing through. Really, there's not much you can do to protect yourself other than trying to blend in. If look like you've got something valuable, you're more likely to be targetted.

But you can make your building more secure by fencing the permiter (with a particularly tall gate at the alley) and by making sure the window locks work. A friend of mine grew up in Pilsen as a Mexican immigrant, and his father bought up a bunch of buildings in the 1980s. He was one of the first landlords in Pilsen to put tough metal gates/fences around buildings, and some neighbors complained about it at first. However, it eventually caught on and now most well-maintained buildings in Pilsen have them (I'm not talking about chain-link fences here, but more attractive wrought-iron fences and gates).
It doesn't matter, even the guys that have grown up in the areas can still get jacked. I look more in place in the ghetto area than anyone, yet I've still been mugged. Anyone is a target.

Old 09-16-2008, 02:24 PM

132 posts, read 528,800 times
Is there anything one can do to reduce the chances of being physically hurt from a mugging? How do muggers usually operate? On chicagocrime/everyblock, it looks like about half of robberies are "strong-arm" and half are armed. Do they run up on the victim and just start beating them down or what?

Old 09-16-2008, 02:44 PM

2,686 posts, read 7,870,982 times
Default How to be "safe"

Only look at buying buildings on streets that are well lit. I will not consider buildings within 3-4 blocks of a flashing blue police camera light. Survey the area before you buy. If teenagers typically hang out on the corner it may not be an area you want to buy into. Just because an area is poor doesn't make it bad. I live near pulaski and north and my block is very quiet with all families. There is some Section 8, but mostly families renting to family members and people like me who rent to non-Section 8 tenants.

If this is your first time buying a building I would not recommend buying a building with Section 8 tenants unless you have deep pockets to weather the storm if and when you attempt to evict these people as they will drag you thru the courts like you would not believe. It took me 3-4 months to evict non-Section 8 tenants and I did everything by the book.

If you must walk around the neighborhood get to know your neighbors well. You will need their help if anyone ever messes with you. I have done this on my block and within a few blocks of me. All you have to do is be neighborly. And this is coming from a white guy who often walks around the neighborhood saying hello to neighbors late at night while still wearing my business suit from work. Some of the thugs who don't know me assume I am a police officer.

Your best bet and legal way to protect yourself is to get a dog (I prefer rottweiler over pitt bull) to take on walks with you. Or you could walk in a group. Wearing an IPOD makes you a target as does not looking people in the face or just saying hi (people treat you better if you are friendly and polite).

If you are a big guy it will also help you.

What neighborhoods are you looking to buy rentals and how much experience do you have as a landlord?

Old 09-16-2008, 04:40 PM

624 posts, read 1,071,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humboldt1 View Post

What neighborhoods are you looking to buy rentals and how much experience do you have as a landlord?
Thanks for all tips so far. I've never owned rentals and plan on starting with a single family as my first one. At the moment, I realize that buying in the somewhat depressed area would bring in the most cashflow (though there is a reason why the price is low on purchase vs. rent).

I am considering Chattam area as a start. I live North Riverside. Which areas would you start researching if you were me? I can afford about 1200/mo AFTER I've paid all my other expenses. I also have the RE License (though I have a full time job which does not leave much room for RE activities)

Thanks.

Old 09-16-2008, 08:44 PM

2,300 posts, read 6,183,369 times
Duck.

Old 09-16-2008, 10:56 PM

2,686 posts, read 7,870,982 times
Default wait to buy

Wait 12 to 24 months to buy. 1200 a month is not much to work with so you would have little room for error. I suggest building your cash reserves and buying in a couple of years. Stay away from Section 8, you don't have the deep pockets you will need if things go bad.

You live in north riverside, not the best area, especially around the mall so you may be somewhat street smart, but given your limited experience with RE be very cautious. It will be tough to get a single family to cashflow, though you will have more success at the low end. I recommend looking at a foreclosed condo. The association does most of your maintenance and you may be able to find a renter to cover your costs and then maybe some if you find the right deal.

Just wait for now and build reserves. There will be lots of deals in the next couple of years. Chatham will have virtually no price appreciation. Buy into an area that is getting better, not worse.

How do others on here feel about buying a foreclosed condo in nice parts of the city, new construction? This is something I would consider.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: