Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 09:33 AM

5,525 posts, read 13,944,069 times

Advertisements

You actually trust the Forbes rankings? Or do you only trust them when they support your preconceived notions?

Interesting link: http://www.newgeography.com/content/...ings-are-wrong
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2009, 09:36 AM

BTW, the methodology seems incredibly biased against dense Northern cities.

Old 09-02-2009, 09:45 AM

128 posts, read 305,786 times
I just looked at the silly Forbes list. I don't know how I missed that one when we were thinking about moving to Chicago. Not that it would have been a factor at all, but it does have its bits of truth. If you are not the type who likes harsh winters, a swarming bees nest of people, having to rely on public transportation, idiotic tourists, and all the negatives that go with a congested area.. then the giant cities like New York and Chicago are not for you. Some people cannot live without that feeling of being immersed. It's a little bit insane though that someone would call Chicago "laid back and down to Earth" Visiting there, the people varied from fake nice to rude IMO. I met alot of great people in Chicago, but I think you might have to leave a while and then come back to see the foul attitudes.

Old 09-02-2009, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukwoo View Post
You actually trust the Forbes rankings? Or do you only trust them when they support your preconceived notions?

Interesting link: Why The 'Livable Cities' Rankings Are Wrong | Newgeography.com

People in Chicago have used the Forbes ratings to tout Chicago as the #2 restaurant city. I think that's a bit high. I don't trust Forbes either.

Last edited by whinniethezen; 09-02-2009 at 10:02 AM..

Old 09-02-2009, 09:52 AM

I find the whole idea of ranking of cities (or colleges) to be a dubious exercise at best. More often than not, it obscures the truth rather than sheds light on it. Probably helps sells magazines, though, which is really the primary reason for them.

Old 09-02-2009, 10:00 AM

If Forbes had listed Chicago as #1 in anything, you know Chicago folks would be using it to their advantage. What city wouldn't? Forbes would then have all the credibility in the world am I wrong?
This reeks of sour grapes. Just take the lists with a huge grain of salt.

Old 09-02-2009, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whinniethezen View Post
If Forbes had listed Chicago as #1 in anything, you know Chicago folks would be using it to their advantage. What city wouldn't? Forbes would then have all the credibility in the world am I wrong?
This reeks of sour grapes. Just take the lists with a huge grain of salt.
If you actually do a search on the various threads regarding Forbes lists, I think you'll find that the regulars (with a few obvious exceptions) on this forum don't put much stock in them regardless of whether Chicago is up or down.

Old 09-02-2009, 10:08 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,182,626 times
No, Forbes ranking are completely biased.

Chicago got bad remarks because of the weather - because we're all required to hate colder weather and snow, Chicago has a high population density, and because of traffic congestion. It doesn't happen to factor in the vast majority of people working in the loop who take bus/train/walk. Its example was the person who drove the Kennedy everyday....

It was pointed out in many sources, as well as asked on the Forbes website about the air quality. Chicago isn't even in the top 10 for bad air quality.

For the most part Forbes ranks cities based on if a sunbelt person who lives/loves sprawl and drives a car alone to work downtown would be stressed. That's why the northern cities all come out "bad".

Old 09-02-2009, 10:12 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,182,626 times
^ maybe the foul attitudes you encountered were drawn for another reason.... I have a friend who whines about everything, then complains because no one wants to hang out with him.

Old 09-02-2009, 10:21 AM

53 posts, read 141,830 times
Pittsburgh is the sleeper city in America. A Chicago without all the stress and problems, pollution and traffic, race-strife and corruption, and it's beautiful in Western PA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago