Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 06:16 PM

910 posts, read 2,318,216 times

Advertisements

Chicago is one of the few, if not the only city I know of where people outside of it flock to it to relax over the weekends. And I'm talking about downtown and the lake shore, not the surrounding areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2009, 06:22 PM

1,953 posts, read 4,944,322 times
to people from Chicago post stupid stuff like this in the NYC forum?

Old 09-02-2009, 06:27 PM

367 posts, read 1,201,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by long101 View Post
to people from Chicago post stupid stuff like this in the NYC forum?
Maybe this forum needs to form a committee to make sure it happens!

Old 09-02-2009, 06:47 PM

3,631 posts, read 10,204,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whinniethezen View Post
So earlier you were advocating that drivers who clog the expressways in the Chicago area should take the train or bus...or walk? Gee, is the train that new of a concept in Chicago? I thought it had been there for a while The buses must be a new concept as well. Walking? What's that?

Um OK enough sarcasm. Yeah, it's a nice idea that thousands more need to take those alternate modes of transp. but it just doesnt happen.

There will always be more stress in a big city. Isn't that kind of the the point of a big city? The whole rat race thing? Otherwise you might as well move to Montana and raise a crop of dental floss or some crap. No offense to any dental floss tycoons present. I'm sure that once you get used to living in that hectic,polluted environment you could lower your stress through massage, yoga, martial arts, etc. In San Diego, there is a tiny bit of big city stress, but we just surf it out or go play beach volleyball.
But there are definately more stressors from all sides in Chicago, new York, L.A. etc. The only reasons I could see for Chicago being labeled more stessful is the ungodly winters and the fact that they are more blue collar than a place like New York, and therefore it is just an overall harder place to make end's meet.
i don't think you should drive if you don't have to. if you're single, or a god forbid yuppie couple and live in Lincoln Park or any other neighborhood with good access to transit and businesses near your home, and you work downtown, you really don't need to own a car. note, i'm not saying don't rent a car or car share when you need to buy a big load of groceries or new furniture from that wonderful place in Schaumburg. but in general, you don't need to own one with the stress of parking and the parking meter/ticket giving gestapo.

my stress level is significantly lowered by the fact that i ride the train/bus and *gasp* walk.

Old 09-02-2009, 07:32 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,134,720 times
No city is stressful in an by itself. The particular circumstance of each individual -ie: the needs of each vs. the actions required to meet the need - is probably the most pure form of stress.

The question should be: Is living in Chicago any more stressful than living in any other city of the same approximate size? I vote no.

Old 09-02-2009, 10:19 PM

128 posts, read 304,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ngrome View Post
Chicago is one of the few, if not the only city I know of where people outside of it flock to it to relax over the weekends. And I'm talking about downtown and the lake shore, not the surrounding areas.

lol, that's not what I hear from relatives there. It's pretty common knowledge that there is an exodus of Illinois plates heading OUT of Chicago/Illinois towards the weekends. Don't you guys pretty much LIVE for Wisconsin and Michigan "getaway" weekends ?

Last edited by whinniethezen; 09-02-2009 at 11:14 PM..

Old 09-02-2009, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatpuff View Post

Try living in a small town in Illinois being a chicken farmer, or laborer...
Ever lived in a small city or town or near a rural area?

I wouldn't be so hard on you if you hadn't been such a dick in this thread.

Interesting choice of words... towards a girl..
I grew up in a small town of about 18,000 people. so I have a little perspective about the great "stressors" of small town life....
"What? The mailman is twenty minutes late today????" or "Oh no! Is that a tornado siren? OMG!"
Seriously though, I miss the small town life and will return some day. I will not defend-- nor will I put down the big city life if that's what you're after. It's ones personal preference. Also not everyone outside the big city is a stressed out chicken farmer, though I like the imagery. I already made the point that not everyone in Chicago is stressed out, obviously.

Last edited by whinniethezen; 09-02-2009 at 11:18 PM..

Old 09-02-2009, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
No city is stressful in an by itself.

Bull. Mega-cities are inherently stressful places. That's common sense and was proven by the CDC. Especially for folks who don't do well in big crowds, don't like congestion, don't like gritty inner city settings, impatient drivers, high job competition, pollution, higher crime rates, higher cost of living, etc...
It's how those people deal with that stress that counts. The stress can be dealt with very effectively. But denying it's there is naive and unhealthy.

Last edited by whinniethezen; 09-02-2009 at 11:12 PM..

Old 09-02-2009, 11:23 PM

367 posts, read 1,201,005 times
Quote:
I grew up in a small town of about 18,000 people. so I have a little perspective about the great "stressors" of small town life....
That's not a small town. That's a bigger population than some entire neighboring counties around me here in central Illinois.

Quote:
You are the one who seems a bit naive though...not everyone outside the big city is a strapped chicken farmer.
Well, I'm not.

Old 09-03-2009, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatpuff View Post
That's not a small town. That's a bigger population than some entire neighboring counties around me here in central Illinois.

Well, I'm not.

Hmmm. When I was growin' up, our "town" was alot smaller. More like 10,000 and fairly spread out.
Let's see...10,000 vs. 10 million in the Chicago area? yeah, I'd say we were small town compared to that.
We never called it a "city" that's for sure. I guess it's all perspective. Some people I've talked to on this Chicago forum have suggested that places like Green Bay WI are "small town" and that has a much bigger population if I remember right. I think you speak of "very small towns" less than 1000 people??
I'm sure all those folks in mid Illinois are as "stressed out" as you say, what with living in flyover country and all!

Last edited by whinniethezen; 09-03-2009 at 09:18 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago