Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2009, 10:26 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,109,500 times

Advertisements

Amazing, we should start a thread "how many post does it take for a Chicago thread to get off topic"

Old 08-20-2009, 10:28 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,609,770 times
^ Just bring up race or class and it happens within two pages^

Old 08-20-2009, 10:35 PM

63 posts, read 161,447 times
Winnie,
Here is an article in the Trib. Chicago is the most segregated major city in America. Is that a bad thing? Mmmm. I do not want to open that can o worms.

Chicago, America's most segregated big city - Chicago Tribune

Old 08-20-2009, 10:36 PM

1,070 posts, read 2,920,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
Why is it unlikely you would want to live in Lake View then?

...and if you do prefer to live in suburban areas why are you even commenting on urban affairs if you more than likely do not have much experience in them???
I grew up on the south side of Chicago. After having a taste of the burbs, I have not really liked the idea of having to live in the city again...I do not want to live in Lake View because it's too small, and dense. Where in the world do you all park??? Not to mention I'm not a fan of tons of people walking around in my neighborhood. Did I mention the astronomical asking prices on homes and condos?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
Amazing, we should start a thread "how many post does it take for a Chicago thread to get off topic"
I'd love to read that one...

Old 08-20-2009, 10:41 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,109,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deechee View Post
I'd love to read that one...
Oh wait we already had that one...Chicago v New York

New York City Vesus Chicago

aka the cereal debate.

Old 08-20-2009, 10:42 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,609,770 times
Quote:
I grew up on the south side of Chicago. After having a taste of the burbs, I have not really liked the idea of having to live in the city again...I do not want to live in Lake View because it's too small, and dense...
Too small?

Quote:
...Not to mention I'm not a fan of tons of people walking around in my neighborhood...
Wow. You preach against segregation but you are not a fan of people walking around in your neighborhood.

That one takes the cake.

Basically you just admitted you self-"segregate" and/or "discriminate" based on certain criteria. But yet everyone always assumes EVERYTHING is about race.

The pot calls the kettle black once again.

Old 08-20-2009, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
Too small?
Well, city lots are nice and roomy...sure

I just don't like it. Nothing to do with race, diversity, etc. I'm not into the party scene, being near Wrigley Field, drunk frat brothers, or anything like it. I like quiet...and I know all of Lake View isn't noisy and obnoxious, but enough of it is that I don't like it.

Too far from everything I like to do also.

Old 08-20-2009, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whinniethezen View Post
Tonight I watched an HD program about the great city of Chicago.
Holy smoke Chicago's history has been rough. Everything from race riots to massive crime waves.. to Martial Law and bloody democratic conventions. One thing really caught my attention was something the Chicago historians said, that racial tensions and closet racism in Chicago never truly recovered after whites returned from WW1 to find their jobs taken over. That racism (between blacks and whites) has continued to run fairly deep to this day and is often handed down from one generation to the next.
As I look into the quality of life issues in Chicago, this one concerns my family greatly. More and more I am reading that Chicagoans are hard to read when it comes racism. Is Chicago still the city that Dr. King called "the most racially divided city in America"?
Back to the original question:

No: There are places where all races live together, but it seems that one race always ends up taking over, so true diversity is never acheived.

Yes: Many minorities feel unwelcome in homogeneous areas, so they tend to avoid shopping, dining, or living there. I certainly do in areas like Mt. Greenwood, and certain parts of Beverly. However, some minorities brag about being able to go into those areas...they consider it some kind of status.

Last edited by deechee; 08-20-2009 at 11:42 PM..

Old 08-20-2009, 11:00 PM

63 posts, read 161,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTUCache View Post
Having moved here recently from Detroit, I can tell you that you guys aren't even close to as segregated.

Now there is a ringing endorsement. Better than Detroit. The hell you say!

Old 08-20-2009, 11:12 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,789,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmcgirk3 View Post
...but the "basement conversations" about certain undesirables still very much exist in Chicago. It's sad, but true.
Well, undesirables are undesirables--no matter their race. Most people who have seen the rest of the United States and who have some measure of upward mobility don't want to live near a bunch of uneducated poor people with severe crime issues in their community. In Uptown you're just as likely to see a strung out white guy taking a crap on your lawn as you are a strung out black guy. Both are "undesirables" who make bad neighbors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago