Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2009, 03:25 AM

3,047 posts, read 9,032,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyPants View Post
So people can tolerate working with other races but not living with them. OK, I guess that's not really segregation. Segregationist Senator Jesse Helm's once said that he is not racist because his secretary was Black. You mention Bridgeport as an example of integration. Are you kidding? Leonard Clarke ring a bell?? What about Commander Burge?

I'd be curious to know how many naysayers on here have actually hung out with groups of people from another race, and I'm not talking about 2 or 3 tokens.
Something leads me to believe Jesse Jackson never had a non-black secretary. Why should he get a free pass?

Quote:
MLK did say approximately 40 years ago that Chicago was the most segregated city in the world. Either MLK was a full of crap or Chicago has made an magically transformation. Although Chicago as a whole is diverse, having signficant White, Black, and Hispanic populations, many of these Chicagoans do not live or associate with other races. A recent poll was conducted revealing that 4 out of 10 White people do not want a Black neighbor. I suppose Chicago is immune to these statistic. Must be the magic bubble surrounding us. Reminds me of the pro war people who still claim Iraq had WMD's.
Why wasn't a poll conducted asking black people if they want a white neighbor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
when the black and white people rise up together against the real enemy-- hatred violence and drugs---the wall will collapse.
where do the children play, cats stevens sing it.
Well which one of the two supports drugs and violence more than the other? Why shouldn't the one that supports it more than the other stand up and change their ways? Why lump the other one in with the one that willingly supports it? Is it because you believe that whites owe blacks something and that whites should solve the problems that plague the black community?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
Now before everyone jumps all over me hear me out. Why is segregation a bad thing? I'm just playing devils advocate here. First how did cities become seg.? probably b/c of language and culture and a level of comfort. Now most immigrants prefer to live amongst their kind ie: blacks, mexicans, polish but let's take it a step further. Ever notice we all are in groups or seg. into our own areas? such yuppies like to be around other yuppies and blue collar workers like being next to people they can relate to and college kids enjoy being around other college kids. Why does seg. matter if that's what the people who live their want? it's politicians and statistics that tell us segregation is bad. People have the freedom to move so since the people who live in these areas aren't complaining why are we? if after all we all come together downtown, festivals, ballgames, parks, etc. I have still have friends that want to be by other Puerto Ricans so who cares! bums like to be by other bums. We all kind of run in packs. This day in age even though their are ethnic enclaves it's not like you never see or hear of anyone other than the dominate ethnic group in that neighborhood.

Crime: if we mixed everyone together proportionally crime would spread to other Lilly white areas, crime would be more spread out then, in theory you wouldn't have extreme safe areas anymore. If we have seg. you kind of in a way keep crime contained. I'm not advocating this I'm just pointing it out.

Bottom line: if Blacks want to live by Blacks and Asians want to live by other Asians who cares!!!!!!
I think we are all adult enough to act like adults when we encounter other races, just b/c we live separate doesn't mean their will always be tension.
No one ever has a problem with blacks living around blacks or asians living around asians or latin americans living around latin americans. However, for whatever reasons people have a problem with whites living around whites. You have to ask yourself, why is that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
Well, undesirables are undesirables--no matter their race. Most people who have seen the rest of the United States and who have some measure of upward mobility don't want to live near a bunch of uneducated poor people with severe crime issues in their community. In Uptown you're just as likely to see a strung out white guy taking a crap on your lawn as you are a strung out black guy. Both are "undesirables" who make bad neighbors.
Be careful...you end you post with typical liberal BS despite starting it off perfectly. Keep in mind that I am not conservative nor a liberal. However, you have to ask yourself which race has more undesirables than the others? Perhaps, people are not racists but realists and they aren't afraid of stepping on toes or going against the current trend in American society. This isn't some tea party where we all sit down and hold hands. Not all races are the same at every single thing we can think of despite what the media would want you to believe. Certain races have higher birth rates. Certain races have higher instances of criminals. Certain races have different predisposed illnesses. These are just the facts of life. Don't be afraid to speak the truth while stepping on toes in doing so.

Last edited by At1WithNature; 08-23-2009 at 03:52 AM..

Old 08-23-2009, 08:19 AM

5,288 posts, read 8,877,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by At1WithNature View Post
However, you have to ask yourself which race has more undesirables than the others? Perhaps, people are not racists but realists and they aren't afraid of stepping on toes or going against the current trend in American society. This isn't some tea party where we all sit down and hold hands. Not all races are the same at every single thing we can think of despite what the media would want you to believe. Certain races have higher birth rates. Certain races have higher instances of criminals. Certain races have different predisposed illnesses. These are just the facts of life. Don't be afraid to speak the truth while stepping on toes in doing so.
Race is a sociological constuct, and has no basis in biology. As pointed out above, Sicilians, Greeks (and yep, even we Micks) and other southern Europeans were not always considered white - it wasn't until the WASP ruling class decided that the "inferior" Europeans were preferable to Mexicans/Latin Americans, Africans, Asians, etc in America that they became white.

The people who came up with much of the idea that crime could be traced to race were the same bozos who came up with eugenics/forced steriilzations, skull shape-criminal tendencies studies and so on.

Old 08-23-2009, 08:55 AM

60 posts, read 162,985 times
Quote:

Not all races are the same at every single thing we can think of despite what the media would want you to believe. Certain races have higher birth rates. Certain races have higher instances of criminals. Certain races have different predisposed illnesses. These are just the facts of life. Don't be afraid to speak the truth while stepping on toes in doing so.
This is 'truth'? No, this is nonsense.

Old 08-23-2009, 09:01 AM

8,425 posts, read 12,183,056 times
Quote:
You mention Bridgeport as an example of integration. Are you kidding? Leonard Clarke ring a bell?? What about Commander Burge?
I think that Chicago's Asian community has spilled over into Bridgeport. It is well-known that the mayor's mom's home is now owned by some Asian-American folks. So let's let old stereotypes go.

Quote:
I'd be curious to know how many naysayers on here have actually hung out with groups of people from another race, and I'm not talking about 2 or 3 tokens.
Me! The Lamaze class for my child's birth had a lot of different types of folks-- white, black, Jewish, Christian and Korean. That was 26 years ago and we still get together at least once a year. That's just one example. You should see the guys I hunt with! As a professional, I officed with Polish and Lativian dudes. It was very educational -- I had never heard of pazcki day before then.

I live in Hyde Park so your results may vary but many folks just do not have a segregated lifestyle. You can't go to a party in this neighborhood which is not thoroughly mixed (at least I have never managed to) -- the alderman is in a mixed marriage. I guess everywhere may not be like around here.

Old 08-23-2009, 09:04 AM

8,425 posts, read 12,183,056 times
Quote:
Don't be afraid to speak the truth while stepping on toes in doing so.
You know, you can stress differences or you can point out similarities. Which do you think is more productive for our society and which will help diffuse our chronic racial divide?

Old 08-23-2009, 01:00 PM

3,047 posts, read 9,032,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
Race is a sociological constuct, and has no basis in biology. As pointed out above, Sicilians, Greeks (and yep, even we Micks) and other southern Europeans were not always considered white - it wasn't until the WASP ruling class decided that the "inferior" Europeans were preferable to Mexicans/Latin Americans, Africans, Asians, etc in America that they became white.

The people who came up with much of the idea that crime could be traced to race were the same bozos who came up with eugenics/forced steriilzations, skull shape-criminal tendencies studies and so on.
I'll trust the boston globe over you.

Race, genes, and illness - The Boston Globe

Old 08-23-2009, 07:09 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,194,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manigault View Post
I think that Chicago's Asian community has spilled over into Bridgeport. It is well-known that the mayor's mom's home is now owned by some Asian-American folks. So let's let old stereotypes go.

Me! The Lamaze class for my child's birth had a lot of different types of folks-- white, black, Jewish, Christian and Korean. That was 26 years ago and we still get together at least once a year. That's just one example. You should see the guys I hunt with! As a professional, I officed with Polish and Lativian dudes. It was very educational -- I had never heard of pazcki day before then.

I live in Hyde Park so your results may vary but many folks just do not have a segregated lifestyle. You can't go to a party in this neighborhood which is not thoroughly mixed (at least I have never managed to) -- the alderman is in a mixed marriage. I guess everywhere may not be like around here.

Bridgeport haven't been majority white in over 10 years. Even back in 2000, Bridgeport was already 26% Asian, 30% hispanic.
Bridgeport, Chicago: Information from Answers.com

But beside that, I think Asians are more accepted in white communities than blacks.

Old 08-23-2009, 09:04 PM

1,070 posts, read 2,920,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
Too small?

Wow. You preach against segregation but you are not a fan of people walking around in your neighborhood.

That one takes the cake.

Basically you just admitted you self-"segregate" and/or "discriminate" based on certain criteria. But yet everyone always assumes EVERYTHING is about race.

The pot calls the kettle black once again.
Just because I don't like people walking around doesn't mean I segregate myself. I have never discriminated, I said I didn't like it and it made me uncomfortable.

I am comfortable living around any race, regardless of their income level, as long as they are law abiding respectful citizens, I could not care less. If we become friends, that's nice too. It would be nice to live around people I can identify with, like I do now. I live around all races here in my community. We all come over to each others' homes and love our pets. We look out for each other, and I think it's fine the way it is. I don't see race, I really don't. I see a PERSON.

How can I not like someone when I am such a mixture of races? It would be like discriminating against myself or a member of my family. I definitely am a minority no matter where I live.

Old 08-23-2009, 10:38 PM

53 posts, read 141,865 times
race is a social construct? that's laughable! 10 out of 11 Bears defensive starters are black, and that would be mathematically/statistically impossible in America if racial difference was a fantasy.

Old 08-24-2009, 07:43 AM

5,288 posts, read 8,877,927 times
Quote:
I'll trust the boston globe over you.

Race, genes, and illness - The Boston Globe
from your article:

This research is worth pursuing if it holds the promise to improve medical care. Still, whenever these claims arise, they deserve a tough second look. Race paired with genetics has a sordid history -- not just in Nazi Germany but also today, in the form of weakly documented evolutionary claims implying one group's superiority over another.So far, the claims about race and medical genetics remain disturbingly fuzzy. What's meant by a "genetic component," for instance? The team at Washington University in St. Louis that studied early births accounted for other known variables, such as lack of prenatal care, and found that the higher rate among black women persisted. Based on the trends they saw, the group concluded there were racial differences at the genetic level -- despite lack of any data on genes."

You'll get it one day, it's not that we're all the same, it's that "race" is a label that was slapped on various groups by other groups- biologically, we're all 99.9% the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago