Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 09:01 AM

867 posts, read 1,371,809 times

Advertisements

^^ I like this guy^^

Old 01-03-2012, 01:49 PM

72 posts, read 143,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenboy View Post
... The Chinese has played a part in building this country to where it is today for the last 2 centuries, and has worked to desegregate, abolish prejudice and gain a voice/hand in lifting this nation out of the dark age of racism.
Not to offend you or anything, but clearly you've not read well enough into U.S history.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenboy View Post
If what you imply about these Chinese failing to integrate into the society, then shouldn't we noy assume the same about the other ethnic groups I have just mentioned?
The difference being that playing the role within society is perpendicular; a majority of Bridgeport Asians view role within society, moreso, locally to Chicago as a regulating mechanism. This essentially is inherented within the immigrant Chinese workers offspring -- the lack of social service. Suburban Chinese have a clearer sense of differentiation between Bridgeport Asians, most of whom cluster and congregated within their own niche community and enforce the roles of stereotypes. A good powerhouse example of this would be the offspring and their developing similarities in terms of education; more specifically Robert Healy Elementary School and the local chapters of that CCUC church in Bridgeport. But as you've stated, you've lived the entirety of your life outside of Bridgeport, therefore I am to assume that you're blind-sighted to this invisible problems it poses for the coming generations. Other ethnic groups are more potent in participating in social services both as a responsibility and privilege.

You'd be amazed at the polling numbers of the presidential election in 2008 and mayoral election in 2011 of Chicago. Most first generation offspring and legalized citizens participate in social duties such as voting, and the one thing I noted was the absence of Chinese, both legalized and first generation, from the polls. Clearly this is a sign of a failure to "integrate" with mainstream society, albeit, the 1st generation of Chinese integrate with society in other aspects, just not the beneficial ones towards society as a whole.

Therefore I'd have to agree with coatsey.

To give you a good idea, perhaps you should read Shanshan Lan's "Learning Race and Class: Chinese Americans in Multiracial Bridgeport". This should give you a good insight on the invisible segregation that's been established for decades.

Old 01-03-2012, 02:19 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,570,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
In 2008, Bridgeport became racially diverse with a large number of hispancs and Asians and no longer majority white, but still only 1% black. The question is; despite Bridgeport being racially diverse now, is the neighborhood still racist and anti-black?
I work in Bridgeport and have never had any real problems in the area. In fact, I cover another location in a black area and don't do nearly as well there.

I wouldn't say that Bridgeport welcomes blacks with open arms but it's not all that bad. There are a lot of Chinese and Mexicans in the area now which makes in more diverse.

Old 01-04-2012, 08:49 AM

6,933 posts, read 8,492,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
In 2008, Bridgeport became racially diverse with a large number of hispancs and Asians and no longer majority white, but still only 1% black. The question is; despite Bridgeport being racially diverse now, is the neighborhood still racist and anti-black?
Bridgeport has its segments. It's not just one neighborhood. It's divided. There are parts in which I believe a black person will find it difficult to locate a landlord willing to rent to him/her/them and if an apartment is found many of the neighbors will not be welcoming. I've found the Chinese to be the most prejudiced, not just against blacks and Mexicans, but against "whites" when it comes to renting apartments in buildings they own.

Old 01-04-2012, 12:44 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,966,855 times
It is kind of sad that we still have to have postings like this in 2012. We have to all learn to get along because we need each other to make this country great again. This is not a diss to asian americans as a group just the ones that uphold discrimination tactics. If you dont like it here, leave.go find a place where everyone looks like you. This can be said about anyone that migrates to our country and try to practice 1960 style segregation. We dont want you here. For the ones that like it here and can get along with other cultures come on and we all can make this country better.

Old 01-04-2012, 02:33 PM

409 posts, read 1,241,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
Bridgeport has its segments. It's not just one neighborhood. It's divided. There are parts in which I believe a black person will find it difficult to locate a landlord willing to rent to him/her/them and if an apartment is found many of the neighbors will not be welcoming. I've found the Chinese to be the most prejudiced, not just against blacks and Mexicans, but against "whites" when it comes to renting apartments in buildings they own.
This is definitely true. Before I found my current apartment in Bridgeport I was twice turned away by Chinese landlords who were very nice over email but immediately against me when we talked on the phone. Then, on the other hand, my current landlord (who is white) didn't run a background check on my because I was white.

It really is sad.

Old 01-31-2012, 11:46 AM

1 posts, read 1,360 times
ok a tad bit of help i am considering moving to bridgeport as a single black male under the age of 50. I realy would like to know if there would be a major issue with me moving to bridgeport.

Old 01-31-2012, 02:33 PM

121 posts, read 216,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamhim View Post
ok a tad bit of help i am considering moving to bridgeport as a single black male under the age of 50. I realy would like to know if there would be a major issue with me moving to bridgeport.
Don't move to Bridgeport.

Old 01-31-2012, 10:10 PM

2,501 posts, read 4,435,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamhim View Post
You looking to be a martyr? You want to be a cause that others rally around? You want to be the Lenard Clark of the new millennium?

Old 02-01-2012, 01:43 AM

4,112 posts, read 9,065,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tootsie1006 View Post
anybody who feels they're being stared at has to understand it's the neighborhoods way of keeping tabs on who's coming and going, no matter the race. being proactive will keep us safe, so yeah, if you look like trouble, we're watching you, whether you're white, black or green.
I'm guessing that you are ESPECIALLY watching someone if he's green, right?

I've had it with green people moving in and ruining good neighborhoods. They should just go back to clown college where they belong. You gotta draw the line somewhere and personally, I draw it at green people. I'm all for welcoming black, white, red, yellow and brown people but GREEN? Get outta town you slime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago