Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2008, 10:40 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,789,833 times

Advertisements

I just noticed that 2-BRs were going for a minimum of $760,000 in the Aqua Tower in "Lakeshore East" or "The New East Side" or whatever you want to call it. That's for a low-level unit adjacent to a mechanical room, probably. So there is a wide range of 2-BR prices, even within the same neighborhood. I personally think this is an inflated price, but people seem to be paying it. Personally, I'd rather spend half that in the Lake Point Tower or in one of Mies's Streeterville towers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2008, 10:07 AM

34 posts, read 151,370 times
Default Chicago Gal

It is entirely based on one's own individual lifestyle.

I live on about $2200 a month, in a high rent area. A 4th of that $2200 goes to debt, that I chose to accumulate. I live in 500 square ft studio high rise apt, looking over the lake. I cannot afford a one bed in this neighborhood. I could move away from the lake and afford a one bed. I pay $940 rent.

I park on the street, which can be frustrating on a daily basis. I cannot afford the 200 a month it costs to park around here. I have to have my car to use for work, or I would ditch it. I rarely eat out. I cannot afford to go out to a restaurant or bar even once a week. Groceries are really high here right now. I cook from scratch only. It is really hard and I have to watch every penny. The only thing I really sacrifice is going to out to bars and eating.

I choose my area because it is a low violent crime area, I want to be near the park and the lakefront bikepath. I also want to be able to walk to a good grocery store and have other things within walking distance if I need them. I have lived all over chicago, including Hyde Park, and suburbs, over the years.

In a nutshell, if you want to live in a desirable, trendy, lower crime area, you will pay for it and get little space to live in.

I live in East Lakeview.

Last edited by isjeepin; 09-30-2008 at 10:09 AM.. Reason: Forgot something
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: