Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 08:35 AM

3,047 posts, read 9,000,763 times

Advertisements

Pretty impressive season considering every one in the world had the White Sox pegged for last place, possibly 4th. Funny how those predictions never come true. The Tigers were supposed to score over a 1,000 runs and they were supposed to easily win the pennant and be in the World Series...lol.

I'm amazed Chicago made it this far and they simply did for 5 reasons:

1) Alexei Ramirez aka the Cuban Missle (The best rookie in Chicago)

2) Carlos Quentin (The run away MVP before he got hurt over 1 month ago yet he still led the AL in Homeruns after missing 5 weeks...lol)

3) John Danks (23 year old southpaw, doesn't get much better than that)

4) Gavin Floyd (Another great young pitcher with filthy stuff)

5) Kenny Williams (He ripped the D-Backs off in the Quentin trade, he ripped off the Rangers in the Brandon McCarthy for John Danks trade, and he ripped the Phils off in the Freddy Garcia for Gavin Floyd trade)

I'm so amazed at what the White Sox did because they didn't have a lead off hitter! That's how the Sox won in 2005. They had great table setters for all that power (the white sox always lead MLB in homeruns). Scott Podsednik and Tadahito Iguchi can not be underestimated as far as their impact on the '05 season. Chicago was forced to play possibly the best #2 hitter in baseball (Orlando Cabrera) at lead off where he stinks compared to the 2 hole but did OK considering the alternatives (Swisher).

If the White Sox want to win ANOTHER ring, they have to get a true lead off hitter like Furcal or Figgins. It should be another interesting off season as Kenny Williams continues to work his magic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2008, 08:40 AM

2,329 posts, read 6,606,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by At1WithNature View Post
Scott Podsednik and Tadahito Iguchi can not be underestimated as far as their impact on the '05 season.
Seriously. And how many stolen bases did Pods have? That speed is a HUGE factor. It got in every single opposing pitchers head and would throw them off.

Old 10-07-2008, 09:04 AM

1,720 posts, read 2,544,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
*choke* Sox against the Rays.

Typical bitter, whiny Cubs fan. Here's your broom. Hope you enjoyed your SWEEP, avengerfire. The Sox, who weren't even supposed to make the playoffs, did better than the overhyped, "best in the National League" Cubs.

Enough about the Cubs. The Sox, despite it all, had a great year, and hopefully can go a lot farther next year. Martinez & Quentin were great additions this year, and hopefully the Sox can improve their pitching next year.

Old 10-07-2008, 09:27 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,124,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Northside View Post
Nice guesswork - but you don't know what you are talking about. The fans booed the Rays celebration and then cheered for the White Sox
You dont boo another teams' celebration, thats ridiculous. When the Marlins beat the Cubs in the NLCS, did you see anyone booing their celebration? NO. They earned it. Let it be, let em celebrate, then cry in your beer like us Cubs fans have done for a century now.

Old 10-07-2008, 10:00 AM

1,817 posts, read 4,906,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
You dont boo another teams' celebration, thats ridiculous. When the Marlins beat the Cubs in the NLCS, did you see anyone booing their celebration? NO. They earned it. Let it be, let em celebrate, then cry in your beer like us Cubs fans have done for a century now.
When the marlins beat the cubs I remember many cubs fans threatening the life of a man wearing headphones and glasses...

Old 10-07-2008, 10:30 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,124,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skipcromer View Post
When the marlins beat the cubs I remember many cubs fans threatening the life of a man wearing headphones and glasses...
Uh, that was before the Marlins won.

Anyways, we're off-topic here... back to the White Sox.

Old 10-07-2008, 11:35 AM

108 posts, read 280,647 times
Awesome season, White Sox!

What more could you expect from this team as it is?!?!?

They stuck to their gameplan and let the cards fall where they did....

And they got beat by a healthy team that's firing on all cylinders at the right time....

Congrats White Sox 2008!

Old 10-07-2008, 11:37 AM

456 posts, read 1,572,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by via chicago View Post
Yea, I dont understand how you could possibly categorize this as a "choke". We were picked to finish 3rd/4th in the division. The fact that we won the division and were able to stave off a charging Twins was honestly about all most Sox fans I know wanted. The playoffs were icing on the cake, but the team did not have the makeup to go deep. It would have been nice if we could have advanced, but as everyone has said..the Rays are clearly the superior team and deserved to play on. I'm happy with what we were able to accomplish, and hopefully Kenny Williams can make the moves in the off season to bring this club to the next level. We rely way too much on the longball..which is fine, because we do play in the Cell which is probably one of the most HR friendly park in the league. But the Rays exemplified everything that the Sox were able to do well in '05..timely hitting, speed, and good pitching. Comparatively, we looked like the sluggish underdog, which we were.

The Cubs on the other hand are the team with the massive payroll, 97 regular season wins, expert predictions that they would go to the WS, and they got swept out of the first round of the playoffs. So yes, in that case they DID choke.
Great post.

Old 10-07-2008, 01:31 PM

4,688 posts, read 10,062,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by At1WithNature View Post
Pretty impressive season considering every one in the world had the White Sox pegged for last place, possibly 4th. Funny how those predictions never come true. The Tigers were supposed to score over a 1,000 runs and they were supposed to easily win the pennant and be in the World Series...lol.

I'm amazed Chicago made it this far and they simply did for 5 reasons:

1) Alexei Ramirez aka the Cuban Missle (The best rookie in Chicago)

2) Carlos Quentin (The run away MVP before he got hurt over 1 month ago yet he still led the AL in Homeruns after missing 5 weeks...lol)

3) John Danks (23 year old southpaw, doesn't get much better than that)

4) Gavin Floyd (Another great young pitcher with filthy stuff)

5) Kenny Williams (He ripped the D-Backs off in the Quentin trade, he ripped off the Rangers in the Brandon McCarthy for John Danks trade, and he ripped the Phils off in the Freddy Garcia for Gavin Floyd trade)

I'm so amazed at what the White Sox did because they didn't have a lead off hitter! That's how the Sox won in 2005. They had great table setters for all that power (the white sox always lead MLB in homeruns). Scott Podsednik and Tadahito Iguchi can not be underestimated as far as their impact on the '05 season. Chicago was forced to play possibly the best #2 hitter in baseball (Orlando Cabrera) at lead off where he stinks compared to the 2 hole but did OK considering the alternatives (Swisher).

If the White Sox want to win ANOTHER ring, they have to get a true lead off hitter like Furcal or Figgins. It should be another interesting off season as Kenny Williams continues to work his magic.
Good post (except for the end about needing a Chone Figgins - I disagree). I went into this season figuring a .500 season would be a success, with hopes that Danks and Quentin could turn into good players.
They ended up jumping the 'good' category and going straight to 'great'. I would've never imagined Floyd could end up being a productive major league starter. And I didn't think Ramirez would be able to contribute anything of value until a September call-up.

I'd add one more person to your list - Ozzie Guillen. He still makes some line-up decisions that drive me nuts (especially after the Griffey trade) but he has really turned into one of the better managers in the game. He got every win you could possibly squeeze out of this team, and thus has received the highly coveted Jdiddy's-Benefit-of-the-Doubt position.

My only regret with this season is being out of the country and missing the most exciting week of baseball they played all year. I left a day before they were about to be swept by the twins. And I return an hour after they lost Game 4 to the Rays.

Old 10-07-2008, 03:51 PM

3,047 posts, read 9,000,763 times
The White Sox need a lead off man. O.C isn't a lead off man and even if he was, no way he is back next season. Who do you propose the Sox go after, Furcal?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago