Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2010, 05:40 PM

32 posts, read 62,357 times

Advertisements

I've recently moved to chicago and have been actively seeking for a place for my family. I have seen a number of condo in Lakeview and found one condo at 3950 N Lake Shore Dr is quite nice. However, after doing some research on internet, I found that there are almost 30 condo on sales in the same building at the same time. It seems that this is not a healthy sign even though the economy is bad now. I also found that there was a fire in this building in Jan this year. Other than that, can anyone give me some idea about this building or its surrounding area? I really don't want to spend my money on a condo that's actually not worth it.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2010, 06:11 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,597,919 times
The area is near the border of East Lake View (Lake View) and Buena Park (Uptown.) Loads have been written on those areas. If you search the forum your question will be answered as far as neighborhood.

Old 10-20-2010, 06:22 PM

7,330 posts, read 15,380,121 times
That's an enormous building with 4 separate towers. It's not bad at all. It's not particularly fantastic, either. It's a high-rise, and I'm not keen on those, but I know several people who have lived there, and they said it was fine, if a little cut off from the surrounding neighborhood.

Old 10-20-2010, 08:25 PM

838 posts, read 3,096,109 times
I know there is a meaningful presence of the boystown crowd in that building, not to say that it is part of boystown, but it's walking distance to boystown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starrynight12 View Post
I've recently moved to chicago and have been actively seeking for a place for my family. I have seen a number of condo in Lakeview and found one condo at 3950 N Lake Shore Dr is quite nice. However, after doing some research on internet, I found that there are almost 30 condo on sales in the same building at the same time. It seems that this is not a healthy sign even though the economy is bad now. I also found that there was a fire in this building in Jan this year. Other than that, can anyone give me some idea about this building or its surrounding area? I really don't want to spend my money on a condo that's actually not worth it.

Thanks!

Old 10-20-2010, 08:25 PM

2,059 posts, read 5,746,678 times
I was looking at some of those recently and the assessments are pretty high.

Old 10-21-2010, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lincolnparker View Post
I know there is a meaningful presence of the boystown crowd in that building, not to say that it is part of boystown, but it's walking distance to boystown.
Oh really? I didn't find it out from the google map. Can you tell me the exact location?

I just read from the previous posts that it is not too safe in the Gill Park where is about 2 blocks away, I can still accept this as I assume Lake Shore Dr is not their primary location.

Old 10-21-2010, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
That's an enormous building with 4 separate towers. It's not bad at all. It's not particularly fantastic, either. It's a high-rise, and I'm not keen on those, but I know several people who have lived there, and they said it was fine, if a little cut off from the surrounding neighborhood.
I did some research about this neighorhood and gave me a feeling that this area is not bad. I just find it unusual that a lot of apartments are solding out at the same time. Maybe I think too much?

Old 10-21-2010, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagojlo View Post
I was looking at some of those recently and the assessments are pretty high.
I think the assessment fee is acceptable comparing with all other similar condo along the lake shore dr.

Old 10-21-2010, 12:48 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,312,310 times
I live in the immediate vicinity and IMHO, the surrounding area is fine. There are a couple pockets a few blocks away where you should exercise some caution (Gill Park, the Hotel Chateau, etc.) but overall it's a great area.

I don't know that there's anything wrong with 3950... it appears to be an OK building from what I've seen but I have limited familiarity with it... I have noticed over the years that the rents/condo prices there always seem to be somewhat lower than other nearby buildings. I'm not sure why, though.

If there are a lot of units for sale right now, I'd guess that's just because of the economy and the current housing market.

Old 10-22-2010, 12:04 AM

2,059 posts, read 5,746,678 times
I guess the assessments just seem high in comparison to the mortgage. There was a 3 bed going for $150k recently the assessment was over $750 p/m. I'd be wary of special assessments, especially given that there are so many units available, which would suggest quite a few owners aren't paying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago