U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: What is your favorite Chicago sports team/s?
Cubs 21 33.33%
Bears 35 55.56%
Sox 34 53.97%
Bulls 33 52.38%
Hawks 22 34.92%
Fire 8 12.70%
other 3 4.76%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-09-2008, 08:18 AM

3,020 posts, read 5,971,865 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyeINIL View Post
Yeah, I remember some pretty poor Sox teams over the years.
LOL...comapred to the lovable losers? get real!
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2008, 09:29 AM

19,664 posts, read 51,247,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by At1WithNature View Post
LOL...comapred to the lovable losers? get real!
You win one World Series and now youre some kind of God? You had the 3rd longest losing streak in MLB. Iwouldnt be too proud.

Old 10-09-2008, 09:32 AM

3,020 posts, read 5,971,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
You win one World Series and now youre some kind of God? You had the 3rd longest losing streak in MLB. Iwouldnt be too proud.
haha, point taken. how could anybody be a cub fan though? i mean that is disappointment on an unimaginable scale.

Old 10-09-2008, 09:43 AM

19,664 posts, read 51,247,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by At1WithNature View Post
haha, point taken. how could anybody be a cub fan though? i mean that is disappointment on an unimaginable scale.
Dude, it sucks beyond all imagination, trust me. Its just a complete feeling of hopelessness, and it just gets worse and worse and worse. Id rather finish the season with 25 wins than get swept in the first round of the Playoffs after an incredible regular season.

Old 10-10-2008, 05:38 PM

381 posts, read 491,149 times
Bears, Bulls, Blackhawks, and Fire. I'm not a baseball fan.

Old 10-08-2012, 10:26 PM

318 posts, read 189,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiddy View Post
Last question first. Yes. They would have. And they deserved to. They did everything they could to antagonize their fans. Traded away or let go fan favorites for nothing. Belfour, Roenick, Chelios, Amonte, Larmer. Shut down the popular Blue Line publication. Insisted on the ridiculous 'no TV' ban long after the season ticket holders they claimed it was for left the team. Let go of Pat Foley.

They didn't just lose. They lost while failing to accomadate any of their fan's demands.

The Cubs may have been losers most of the past 20 years, but they made damn sure to do everything else to keep fans coming to the ballpark. If the Cubs were the Hawks, Wrigley field would be torn down, they'd be in some **** new stadium, and the Sox would be the main draw in town.

I don't think we would have seen Rocky Wirtz make as many dramatic changes as he did had the rest of Hawks fans do as you said, and continue to reward the organization for their absolute failure on every level. If Sox fans had continued showing up in the 90's despite a stadium they hated and a bad team following the cancelled 94 season, I don't think this decade would have seen the same changes. Not only on the field, but in all the ballpark changes as well, that have remade the Cell into a great place to watch a game.

If there weren't the thousands of no-shows at Bears games in the 90's, I doubt the McCaskey family would have relented and turned into a modern NFL organization when they did. They saw the writing on the wall that Wirtz ignored for years.

But anyway, like I said, if it makes you feel better that you kept shelling money out the past decade, great. But I know a number of former season ticket holders who are now current season ticket holders again. I don't mean this as a threat, but if plan on going to the games bitching to the guy next to you about all these 'bandwagon' fans, don't expect a friendly response.
This post is spot on.

This goes for any sports franchise.

The Rangers were terrible and missed the playoffs from 97-04. Im a Ranger fan. I had the misfortune of STARTING to the follow the team around 97. What great timing. I was also young. Needless to say, I still watched the games and enjoyed the players.

MSG still capitalized on fans even with the terrible on-ice product. They were on TV and brought in top talent. Chicago didnt do that.

Its important for fans to make statements like they did not attending games and going to Wolves games instead. It means ownership can do whatever it wants, and thats not good.

There needs to be incentive. You need passionate ownership. Dollar Bill died, his son took over, and the franchise made a complete 180 within two years. Its remarkable.

It takes balls to destroy such a historic team. Wirtz did such a great job at destroying the franchise, its actually ****ing impressive.

If you look at attendance figures, Chicago still averaged about 13k, which would be at least 85% in most arenas since the UC is so large.

Old 10-08-2012, 10:31 PM

1,992 posts, read 1,794,647 times
Sox/Bears/Hawks

I love watching the Cubs lose year after year after year after year - no matter what they do they can't win.

Old 10-08-2012, 10:32 PM

2,426 posts, read 1,811,642 times
For me in order of importance:

1. Bulls
2. Bears
3. Cubs

Not a White Sox fan. I don't like hockey, but will admit that I am fairweather fan with the Blackhawks and support them when they are good. Chicago Fire, I like soccer, just not the MLS. I just find it much less interesting than European soccer and Latin American soccer.

Bulls have my heart, Bears are a close second, and Cubs are a distant third. Now when you mix college sports:

1. Bulls
2. Bears
3. DePaul
4. Illinois
5. Duke
6. Cubs

Yes I am very much so a Duke fan!

Old 10-08-2012, 10:36 PM

1,992 posts, read 1,794,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiddy View Post
The Cubs may have been losers most of the past 20 years, but they made damn sure to do everything else to keep fans coming to the ballpark.
Disagree 100%. The Cubs run the best beer garden on the north side - and THAT is what keeps the dumbasses coming. The Sox marketing team does much more for their organization and they have since the beginning of the 1900's. The Sox have to find unique ways to get them in because unlike the Cubs, the stadium is not surrounded by miles of social/nightlife/shopping/restaurants - no their stadium is surrounded by miles of parking lots. There s nowhere to go after a Sox game, you go for the baseball.

Old 10-08-2012, 10:47 PM

163 posts, read 170,183 times
Bulls
Bears
Sox

Will never be a sCrubs fan. Yes, this is South Side vs North Side rivalry talking but mainly its nostalgia of seeing a number of Sox games as a young girl with her father in Comisky Park.

Later in life, I learned my Dad was also a Cubs fan, but mainly because he was an all around sports fan.

I forgive him.

I will watch a Hawks game in passing time, but I don't really know any players. I love their jerseys more than anything. Still, I rooted for them when they went for the Stanley cup and won. I don't mind a good fight on the ice either, lol.

Soccer is okay, but I hardly ever catch a Fire game being televised. All I ever think about when watching soccer is how much they run while out on the field.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago