Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2008, 05:43 PM

968 posts, read 2,665,447 times

Advertisements

Just speculating , not knowing the circumstances, but , let's see..continuances, demand for jury trial, improper notice, general efficiency of the court and sheriff's calendar .. That's why it's important to use an attorney or firm that has experience with these things.. The big property management companies generally get these things done quickly..it's the small landlords that run into the hassles and expenses...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2008, 06:43 PM

1,570 posts, read 2,069,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lincolnparker View Post
Why did it take one year for you to evict a tenant? I thought it takes at most two month?
The guy was a pro. When the sheriff first went out in Nov. They did not evict him because he had a court paper stating he had a motion, even though our lawyer said he had no case, and that the judge had ordered no wait. The sheriff ignored it because he did not know what was going on. So we had to wait for the date and the guy did not show up to his motion. The judge then tossed out his case. After that the Sheriff canceled their first time in December and put us back several months later. Our lawyer was po'd big time. Well come feb the sheriff was suppose to go. Guess what? The eviction date was cancelled for us. The next day they showed up and finally evicted him. But later on at night the tenent came back into the apartment and the cops had to show up and arrest him.
It does not take two months. It takes three months for the sheriff to go. It also is a bad idea to do it during the winter months because they come out with all sorts of dirt to not show up. Like cancelling evictions fifteen minutes before they are suppose to go. Happens like two out of the five day week. In winter at least

Old 10-10-2008, 06:51 PM

838 posts, read 3,096,665 times
Default eviction

Thanks for the info. I am a first time landlord, so this is really shocking to me. so if I start now, there's probably no chance to get the person out since three months from now, it will be late Dec/early Jan?

Also, did you get a court judgement and have that attached to that renter's credit history? So other ppl can be aware of it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60-minutes-II View Post
The guy was a pro. When the sheriff first went out in Nov. They did not evict him because he had a court paper stating he had a motion, even though our lawyer said he had no case, and that the judge had ordered no wait. The sheriff ignored it because he did not know what was going on. So we had to wait for the date and the guy did not show up to his motion. The judge then tossed out his case. After that the Sheriff canceled their first time in December and put us back several months later. Our lawyer was po'd big time. Well come feb the sheriff was suppose to go. Guess what? The eviction date was cancelled for us. The next day they showed up and finally evicted him. But later on at night the tenent came back into the apartment and the cops had to show up and arrest him.
It does not take two months. It takes three months for the sheriff to go. It also is a bad idea to do it during the winter months because they come out with all sorts of dirt to not show up. Like cancelling evictions fifteen minutes before they are suppose to go. Happens like two out of the five day week. In winter at least

Old 10-10-2008, 07:01 PM

1,570 posts, read 2,069,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lincolnparker View Post
Thanks for the info. I am a first time landlord, so this is really shocking to me. so if I start now, there's probably no chance to get the person out since three months from now, it will be late Dec/early Jan?

Also, did you get a court judgement and have that attached to that renter's credit history? So other ppl can be aware of it?
Yeah, it might take three months or longer from now. But the best thing to do is start it early. No, we did not get a court judgement. But I cant tell you the name. Just remember that normally the court system is set out against you because you are the slumlord. That is why a lawyer comes into handy. Let the judge give the bad attitude to him. Its why he is getting paid for

Old 10-10-2008, 08:01 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,606,786 times
Again, the person is 10 days late and you want to evict? Why dont you tell us the whole story? Have you even spoken to the tenant?

Old 10-11-2008, 09:38 PM

2,467 posts, read 12,246,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
People have mortgages to pay too. They might be having a hard time, but the vast majority of private landlords don't just have money stashed away to pay someone elses bills! It's going to take a long time to get them out so you might as well start now. If they pay up completely then you can drop the case.
I definitely realize that, but am just trying to get more info. I would think the easiest thing would be to contact the tenant, see what's up, and try to collect the money rather than waiting for months to go through the legal process. He may have already done this, but am just wondering.

Old 10-12-2008, 12:21 AM

1,817 posts, read 4,925,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
Again, the person is 10 days late and you want to evict? Why dont you tell us the whole story? Have you even spoken to the tenant?
Yes, im curious about this as well. 99% of the time I am on time with my rent. However, this month I had been walking around with the rent check in my wallet up until Friday when my landlord called and gave me a friendly reminder.

Old 10-12-2008, 12:55 AM

3,100 posts, read 3,301,515 times
You may wanna be careful now, you heard about all the stuff going on with the non-eviction stuff in the city as of late.

Old 10-15-2008, 09:26 PM

37 posts, read 103,992 times
What has your tenant's payment history been like? Is he consistently late or is this his first time? Sometimes people have temporary hardships. He may have intentions on paying. You should communicate to see what the problem is. Like one respondent stated, maybe you can work with him.

Old 10-16-2008, 05:01 AM

13 posts, read 53,236 times
My guess is that the tenant in question might already be a "problem tenant" and the non-payment is something the op can tack on to get them out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago