U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2011, 10:42 PM

1,806 posts, read 1,770,448 times
There is no city like Chicago or any East Coast city for that matter with a warmer climate. As an above poster said, Los Angeles is about as close as you can get and they are really not similar.

A lot of younger Chicagoans go to Los Angeles, Las Vegas, and now Miami. I meet a lot of former Chicagoans in LA, have friends in Vegas, and now Miami as well all from Chicagoland.

You can do the same things in all those cities that you can in Chicago, except it requires a lot more driving (not as much in Miami) and a different style of living. Los Angeles is just so big that you really don't have centralized nightlife/entertainment scene like you do in Chicago, at least the swath from Downtown to Wrigleyville. The West and Miami are more car centric, even in the more densely populated areas.

I would say here in LA, the closest area that could even halfway mimick the lifestyle for a younger professional in Lincoln Park or River North is West Hollywood off of Sunset Blvd. or Downtown Santa Monica. Even then, it's about 50%.

I've also seen and heard of many Chicagoans going to LA, Las Vegas, or Miami in their 20s and returning home a few years later. The reason for this is because they want to replicate Chicago somewhere else with better weather, but it simply can't be replicated. The sunbelt cities weren't designed like the Chicago/NYC/Boston cities. Eventually they tire of LA or Las Vegas or Miami and want to go home. I chalk this up as to these people moving here (LA or to the other cities for the wrong reason as stated above.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2011, 08:00 PM

12,395 posts, read 13,438,161 times
you are on a wild goose chase...
find a way to leave in the winter, that is the only way to do it, I have been working on a way to do this for years still has not come full circle but getting close to being able to dip out Jan-March. (Nov/Dec are nice and fun in Chicago though) Jan-March to me are horrid/misery. While Chicago in the summer looks pristine, and one of the best city summer experiences on the planet, literally. Luckily my family is in Florida so this is an easier option for me to try to set up to be a long term affair.
nowincal is on the right point, but I will add there is an entire vibe and culture that a few shops or restaurants just isn't going to have.
i say this as somebody who went through the same things, many other people have, people I know out in NYC, Boston etc too... if you are otherwise "in" to the city culture, you will miss it almost every day you are gone, there is no fix for it!! I tried doing both CA and FL and it just didn't work!

Last edited by grapico; 07-10-2011 at 08:21 PM..

Old 07-10-2011, 09:34 PM

212 posts, read 190,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
you are on a wild goose chase...
find a way to leave in the winter, that is the only way to do it, I have been working on a way to do this for years still has not come full circle but getting close to being able to dip out Jan-March. (Nov/Dec are nice and fun in Chicago though) Jan-March to me are horrid/misery. While Chicago in the summer looks pristine, and one of the best city summer experiences on the planet, literally. Luckily my family is in Florida so this is an easier option for me to try to set up to be a long term affair.
nowincal is on the right point, but I will add there is an entire vibe and culture that a few shops or restaurants just isn't going to have.
i say this as somebody who went through the same things, many other people have, people I know out in NYC, Boston etc too... if you are otherwise "in" to the city culture, you will miss it almost every day you are gone, there is no fix for it!! I tried doing both CA and FL and it just didn't work!

That is definitely the way I look at it. The nice thing about the winter here, is that not only as great as Chicago is, there's a built in time of the year to travel and see the rest of the country and world. I mean, if you're sitting on the beach in Miami and loving a sunny 80 degree day in February does it really matter at that specific moment in time where your rent check goes? So I'm thankful for the winter in that it gives me a time to travel and feel like I'm not missing anything back home :-)

Old 07-10-2011, 09:40 PM

956 posts, read 735,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swandaddy View Post
That is definitely the way I look at it. The nice thing about the winter here, is that not only as great as Chicago is, there's a built in time of the year to travel and see the rest of the country and world. I mean, if you're sitting on the beach in Miami and loving a sunny 80 degree day in February does it really matter at that specific moment in time where your rent check goes? So I'm thankful for the winter in that it gives me a time to travel and feel like I'm not missing anything back home :-)
Totally agree. I'll never understand why some people get out of here in the summer to travel...unless you've got kids and can't leave during the school year, have seasonal work that only gives you time off in the summer, etc. Summer is the reason to live here. Winter is the reason to leave for a week or two to escape.

Old 07-11-2011, 07:33 AM

787 posts, read 990,121 times
Quote:
That is definitely the way I look at it. The nice thing about the winter here, is that not only as great as Chicago is, there's a built in time of the year to travel and see the rest of the country and world. I mean, if you're sitting on the beach in Miami and loving a sunny 80 degree day in February does it really matter at that specific moment in time where your rent check goes?
+1. Even just one week away in January is enough to take the edge off. Plus, you're traveling outside the peak summer months, there aren't hordes of screaming children everywhere, most of the inhabited world is warmer than Chicago then (and in summer, too), and rent in Chicago probably isn't that much of a drain.

Old 07-11-2011, 08:35 AM

7,433 posts, read 4,836,786 times
Quote:
Yep!

Old 07-11-2011, 05:14 PM

3,066 posts, read 2,948,201 times
I never travel.

Old 07-12-2011, 08:33 AM

7,433 posts, read 4,836,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alacran View Post
I never travel.
that's a shame

Old 07-12-2011, 12:39 PM

830 posts, read 1,043,600 times
Dont know if anyone mentioned this or not, but DALLAS has a really great neighborhood named "Uptown" that is very urban, walkable, and oriented at young professional types. Texas has very warm weather 9 months out of the year, with the other three months something similar to our October weather.

Uptown is a great place, and while not as big as the entire Chicago Bubble area (LP-LV-WP-Bucktown etc), I would say that it has a square footage that is similar to the entire Lakeview area. You still have to drive there sometimes but it is a similar area in many respects to Lincoln park or Lakeview.

Old 07-12-2011, 03:57 PM

25 posts, read 27,135 times
For those who may be considering the move, Las Vegas presently has a terrible economic climate, is an inferno in the summer months ("but it's dry heat!" does not begin to describe summer in Vegas), and has no real cultural existence apart from gambling, drinking, strip clubs, smoking as well as lots of petty crime. An interesting place to visit, and maybe even an ok enough place for the well heeled Chicago retiree to spend six weeks of every winter, but to live year round? Nah.

(I have rethought this and will at least congratulate Las Vegas and Nevada for managing to do whatever it is that they due without onerous taxation. In this respect, Chicago and Illinois are in trouble.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago