U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 09:31 AM

1,967 posts, read 3,804,480 times

Advertisements

Is any homeowner in the city 1) free to rent their house if they choose and more importantly 2) accept Section 8 vouchers? If not, what organizational entity might potentially restrict this -- the city, ward, neighborhood association, etc? I'm asking only because I know a few reluctant landlords in my neighborhood (can't sell in current market) and I'm wondering if it is even possible that there are restrictions on if they can rent and to whom. Hate to say it but I have a few friends in Evergreen Park and having Section 8 tenants move on the block and it hasn't worked out well at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2008, 10:10 AM

10,679 posts, read 18,265,915 times
I think it's actually illegal to discriminate against so-called "Section 8" vouchers, but local zoning may place limits on your ability to make profit on a property. The only way to avoid renters with vouchers is to charge high rents, which Evergreen Park may not command.

Old 10-14-2008, 11:09 AM

2,358 posts, read 4,968,938 times
Default How to Avoid Section 8

In order to avoid Section 8, you can generally pull credit on people. Few people with excellent credit will qualify for Section 8. You as a landlord can come up with a host of other reasons to disqualify Section 8 tenants, but start first with their credit score.

You can also demand 1-2 months security deposit. The government is not going to force you to rent to Section 8 tenants, especially accidental landlords who are renting out 1 unit.

Old 10-14-2008, 11:17 AM

10,679 posts, read 18,265,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humboldt1 View Post
In order to avoid Section 8, you can generally pull credit on people. Few people with excellent credit will qualify for Section 8. You as a landlord can come up with a host of other reasons to disqualify Section 8 tenants, but start first with their credit score.

You can also demand 1-2 months security deposit. The government is not going to force you to rent to Section 8 tenants, especially accidental landlords who are renting out 1 unit.
Humboldt1 would know!

Old 10-14-2008, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
Humboldt1 would know!
Yes, thanks for the replies. They are very helpful.

I'm also interested in knowing the other side -- if an accidental landlord wishing to rent to a Section 8 voucher holder could in theory be prohibited for some reason or the other -- a neighborhood covenant, a city rule that only so many section 8 rentals can exist in a certain area, etc. I'm just making things up but I'm trying to imagine in general a situation where someone would _not_ be allowed to rent to a section 8 person. Does such a situation not exist, or could instead my neighbors wishing but unable to sell choose instead to rent and dump a bunch of section 8 people on the block? These are all SFH, no apartments.

Old 10-14-2008, 11:53 AM

1,060 posts, read 2,385,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajolotl View Post
Yes, thanks for the replies. They are very helpful.

I'm also interested in knowing the other side -- if an accidental landlord wishing to rent to a Section 8 voucher holder could in theory be prohibited for some reason or the other -- a neighborhood covenant, a city rule that only so many section 8 rentals can exist in a certain area, etc. I'm just making things up but I'm trying to imagine in general a situation where someone would _not_ be allowed to rent to a section 8 person. Does such a situation not exist, or could instead my neighbors wishing but unable to sell choose instead to rent and dump a bunch of section 8 people on the block? These are all SFH, no apartments.
a condo association may have rules against renting, many have rules about numbers of occupants, deposits, etc.

Its possible that your neighbors could rent to section 8, but they payments are not what would usually rent a SFH. The run more to the apartment price range.

Old 10-14-2008, 11:55 AM

Default Not much you can do to avoid Section 8 neighbors

As a landlord you have final say in who you rent to. If you choose to rent to Section 8 voucher holders for a single family all the neighbors can do is call the cops everytime your tenant or their family or friends act up. I don't think neighborhood groups can prevent Section 8 from moving in. The only true way to keep Section 8 out is to price your neighborhood so high that Section 8 vouchers do not work. River Forest and Wimette have essentially done this. Their less affluent neighbors, Oak Park and Skokie, respectively, do have Section 8 housing.

I only know people are Section 8 because their landlord or they themselves have told me. It is not something that most people go around bragging about so generally I have my suspicions about certain people being Section 8 but only know of a few people on my block in Humboldt Park who are Section 8 and generally these are the buildings with loud tenants and domestic issues. I just call the cops on them as do the other neighbors. This has a result of reducing the number of Section 8 tenants who misbehave. If someone is Section 8 and keeps to themselves and does not cause problems or associate with troublemakers I don't care if they are Section 8 or not.

In my experience, though, Section 8 tenants are more trouble than they are worth. I have never rented to Section 8 but know many who have and have had a very hard time getting rid of problem tenants once they stop paying rent. These people know how to work the system and will surely work you too if you let them. I don't have time to deal with their problems and avoid renting to them like the plague. I have been told that once you have above 12 units the government can mandate to whom you can rent. I am not there yet, but it will be interesting to see how this plays out in the next few years.

Old 10-14-2008, 12:06 PM

thanks for the info. that's what I was afraid of. I thought I had heard somewhere that the Beverly Area Planning Association or the Ridge Historical Society put limits on something (maybe it was SFH-condo conversions) or limited the number of rentals in the area below some threshold. Maybe that was in the 70s though, or maybe I imagined it.

Ideally one would not prejudge Section 8 renters, but I lived above one in many years back and I'll never forget the experience. Combine that with some stories I've heard recently and the idea disturbs me a bit. What I've observed in Beverly is that a single rogue family can be the conduit to a lot of ruffians moving into the area and setting up shop. Thankfully it has only happened so far on the far eastern edge but things can change quickly. I was hoping there was some protection against it.

Quote:
As a landlord you have final say in who you rent to. If you choose to rent to Section 8 voucher holders for a single family all the neighbors can do is call the cops everytime your tenant or their family or friends act up. I don't think neighborhood groups can prevent Section 8 from moving in. The only true way to keep Section 8 out is to price your neighborhood so high that Section 8 vouchers do not work. River Forest and Wimette have essentially done this. Their less affluent neighbors, Oak Park and Skokie, respectively, do have Section 8 housing.

I only know people are Section 8 because their landlord or they themselves have told me. It is not something that most people go around bragging about so generally I have my suspicions about certain people being Section 8 but only know of a few people on my block in Humboldt Park who are Section 8 and generally these are the buildings with loud tenants and domestic issues. I just call the cops on them as do the other neighbors. This has a result of reducing the number of Section 8 tenants who misbehave. If someone is Section 8 and keeps to themselves and does not cause problems or associate with troublemakers I don't care if they are Section 8 or not.

In my experience, though, Section 8 tenants are more trouble than they are worth. I have never rented to Section 8 but know many who have and have had a very hard time getting rid of problem tenants once they stop paying rent. These people know how to work the system and will surely work you too if you let them. I don't have time to deal with their problems and avoid renting to them like the plague. I have been told that once you have above 12 units the government can mandate to whom you can rent. I am not there yet, but it will be interesting to see how this plays out in the next few years.

Old 10-14-2008, 01:48 PM

Default Let's be real

Section 8 renter is essentially a code word for poor black in Chicago for many people, not me. Can someone please post the stats for racial breakdown of Section 8 renters?

Where I am from in southern, rural Indiana, we have Section 8 too, but it is only poor white people, because there are no other races in this area.

I have read that up to 600,000 of the 1.0MM Hispanics in Chicago are illegal immigrants, which would mean that they and their school age children do not qualify for Section 8. Many of my renters do not even know how to access Link cards for their children as they fear the system. Well over half of my block is illegal. There are far more Mexicans in Humboldt Park than Puerto Ricans now.

This means that Section 8 renters are black, white, and hispanic. I don't know of any Asian or Middle Eastern Section 8, though I am sure you can find one if you try hard enough.

This means that Section 8 renters are black, white and hispanic (only those here legally). I would love to see the ethnic breakdown for this.

I am told that many of the Section 8 renters moving into Elmwood Park are Puerto Rican and I know of at least 3 families that have moved to that area from Humboldt Park.

Given that many Hispanics in Chicago are illegal, only those who are here legally, 2nd generation and Puerto Rican will qualify for Section 8. I know a few Section 8 Puerto Ricans. The vast majority of those in Humboldt Park that I know are Section 8 are black.

We simply don't have white people in my neighborhood, or asians, or middle easterners, only hispanic and some black.

Old 10-14-2008, 02:19 PM

interesting. the Section 8 family that lived below me in Evanston many years back was a mixed white/mexican couple. He drank all day and beat her. The kids ran free and had horrible manners. The mother addressed the kids as 'bastard' (in spanish with a horrible accent), not even sure what their names were. It was a six-flat and they completely ruined an otherwise very good building in a cool spot. My friend in Evergreen Park is having trouble with a Mexican family. I guess it's hard to generalize.

Quote:
Section 8 renter is essentially a code word for poor black in Chicago for many people, not me. Can someone please post the stats for racial breakdown of Section 8 renters?

Where I am from in southern, rural Indiana, we have Section 8 too, but it is only poor white people, because there are no other races in this area.

I have read that up to 600,000 of the 1.0MM Hispanics in Chicago are illegal immigrants, which would mean that they and their school age children do not qualify for Section 8. Many of my renters do not even know how to access Link cards for their children as they fear the system. Well over half of my block is illegal. There are far more Mexicans in Humboldt Park than Puerto Ricans now.

This means that Section 8 renters are black, white, and hispanic. I don't know of any Asian or Middle Eastern Section 8, though I am sure you can find one if you try hard enough.

This means that Section 8 renters are black, white and hispanic (only those here legally). I would love to see the ethnic breakdown for this.

I am told that many of the Section 8 renters moving into Elmwood Park are Puerto Rican and I know of at least 3 families that have moved to that area from Humboldt Park.

Given that many Hispanics in Chicago are illegal, only those who are here legally, 2nd generation and Puerto Rican will qualify for Section 8. I know a few Section 8 Puerto Ricans. The vast majority of those in Humboldt Park that I know are Section 8 are black.

We simply don't have white people in my neighborhood, or asians, or middle easterners, only hispanic and some black.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago