Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Chicagoans, Do You Want the 2016 Olympics in Your City?
Yes. 32 51.61%
No. 22 35.48%
No opinion / not sure. 8 12.90%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 09:29 AM

3,339 posts, read 5,989,065 times

Advertisements

I definitely do not want Chicago to win the bid. I simply do not trust our local or state governments to host the Olympics without getting taxpayers even more in the hole than we are already. It would be one thing if we had pothole free roads and a functioning transit system, but we don't. I don't see anything to be gained by hosing the Olympics and I'll bet anything it will end up costing me money. No thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2009, 09:34 AM

15,586 posts, read 27,609,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitakolata View Post
...It would be one thing if we had pothole free roads...and a functioning transit system...
I know of no large major city in the United States that has no potholes. I don't know how long you have lived in Chicago, but there always have been potholes and always will be potholes. Same goes for any other large city.

For the size of the system the CTA performs adequately. Of course there are MANY things that can be improved in the CTA. I am one of the CTA's biggest critics, but to suggest it is basically completely useless as you have is irresponsible and misleading.

To say it is not a functioning system is pretty laughable. Is it a fine tuned machine? Absolutely not. Is it an extremely undependable system? No way.

Any system that provides "1.68 million rides per weekday" and "526.4 million rail and bus rides in 2008" is certainly not nonfunctional.

http://www.transitchicago.com/news/d...ArticleId=2274

Last edited by Avengerfire; 10-01-2009 at 09:45 AM..

Old 10-01-2009, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
Not surprisingly, two of these asshats are from the burbs,one is from Indiana,one is from South Carolina, and only two are from Chicago. (Although I suspect at least the one guy who is brother to the guy from Glendale Heights is a recent transplant. I would not doubt if the other guy from Chicago is a recent transplant as well.) What a bunch of losers.

"...Six people were charged with mob action today for yanking an Olympic banner from the Daley Center's Picasso statue and tossing it into the "eternal" flame, authorities said.

Charged are brothers Jeremy Hammond, of Chicago, and Jason Hammond, of Glendale Heights, both 24; Brian Brown, 22, of Itasca; Jeremy Sorkin, 21, of Chicago; Johnathan Clark, 21, of Rocky Mountain, N.C.; and Anna Stafford, 20, of Wheatfield, Ind...

...the six pulled down a banner -- valued at thousands of dollars -- from the statue and burned part of it in the flame dedicated to veterans..."

6 charged with burning Olympic banner - Chicago Breaking News (http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2009/09/6-charged-in-burning-of-olympic-banner.html - broken link)

These winner's mugshots are now online:

Mugs In The News - chicagotribune.com

Old 10-01-2009, 10:11 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,789,833 times
Quote:
I don't know how long you have lived in Chicago, but there always have been potholes and always will be potholes. Same goes for any other large city.
Especially a large city with nasty freeze/thaw cycles and heavy traffic. The last two winters were the worst I've seen for potholes, and the weather had a lot to do with it.

The Olympics should be kind of a mixed bag in terms of city services. Some infrastructure will be improved greatly--particularly near any Olympic venue or tourist-friendly spot. But I do think it's entirely possible that areas away from Olympic venues will receive less attention.

Old 10-01-2009, 10:18 AM

2,242 posts, read 6,240,131 times
Quote:
These winner's mugshots are now online:

Mugs In The News - chicagotribune.com
Damn hippies.

Old 10-01-2009, 11:15 AM

387 posts, read 607,774 times
Default Just wanted to say GOOD LUCK tomorrow.

I for one would LOVE to see another Summer Olympics on U.S. turf. I looked at the scores on Wikipedia though, and Madrid seems to be the top contender this time around, but HOPEFULLY everything you guys have done will make it pay off.

If you get it, you are in store for one of the biggest parties ever!

Old 10-01-2009, 11:29 AM

2,242 posts, read 6,240,131 times
I will go look at tourists.

Oh man, I'm going to be 26

Old 10-01-2009, 11:39 AM

1,817 posts, read 4,926,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom View Post
I will go look at tourists.

Oh man, I'm going to be 26
Shut up, i'll be over 30.

God

Old 10-01-2009, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipcromer View Post
Shut up, i'll be over 30.

God
I will be like Sean Connery in the Diamonds Are Forever era. If I even have 1 percent of the success that guy was having with women in that time frame I will be doing pretty good.

Old 10-01-2009, 01:12 PM

668 posts, read 2,358,148 times
Absolutely not. The Olympics would just be another Mayor Daley power trip. MAYBE if Daley wasn't mayor, but sadly that's not the case. So that's a big fat NO from me. I think people who say yes to the Olympics dont know about or are ignorant towards the political machine in Chicago.

Not to mention the traffic, the crowds, the debt, and lack of services the city is already dealing with. Chicago's good enough on it's own, and taxes are already high enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago