U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2008, 08:58 PM

15,589 posts, read 11,781,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyP View Post
...Sweet Home Chicago...
Thanks for the copy and paste. You are telling us all something we already know.In fact most of the people in this forum have problems with most if not all of the elected officials in that post. While I can sympathize with how you feel to a degree, your post was completely off topic and in my opinion spam. I have reported it as such.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2008, 07:54 AM

5,386 posts, read 5,724,605 times
JimmyP,
You are way off topic(not that I ever do that)
The political thread is probably better, or start a new one or post it in the seperate Chi & IL thread? As "Slick Willie" would say "I feel your pain".
However, I need to stay somewhat contrarian and ask "So, since you compare Chicago & Iraq, are you saying you want combat troops, Humvee's and tanks patrolling the neighborhoods?"
I remember seeing that when I visited East Berlin in 1969. Tanks patrolling the street every day since it was near the border. Scary as he**. It was better in '75, the tanks only rumbled through every 2nd or 3rd day. OOps, off thread again-where are my meds?

Old 10-24-2008, 08:29 AM

18,533 posts, read 48,413,937 times
This goes from global city talk to a racism chat.

sigh

Old 10-24-2008, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
This goes from global city talk to a racism chat.

sigh
If you think that was bad look what someone just posted in here:

Moving From the UK to Chicago

Old 10-24-2008, 01:29 PM

725 posts, read 1,198,911 times
That was so obnoxious.

Old 10-24-2008, 11:53 PM

56 posts, read 93,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
However, the new diversity of immigrants from around the world DEFINITELY make Chicago more "international" by almost every measure. As an example, I once worked at an international architecture firm that did work all over the world. Our office had employees from all over the world, and was sort of a magnet for great architectural talent worldwide. Clients valued our firm's diversity as well. For instance, Chinese clients liked that we had Chinese employees who understood cultural differences and spoke the language. As you can imagine, there are certain values that the Chinese have that might be incorporated into a bulding's design. Koreans may have different tastes or cultural sensitivities, etc. In this case, the diversity of our firm was a major advantage that a firm in say, Milwaukee or Detroit, couldn't match.
Yeah, I've heard that argument before. Why is it that "diverse" USA has the world's worst trade deficits, and homogenous China and Japan are the world's top exporters? How is that your premise is 100% refuted by real data?

You don't need tens of millions of White people working in Japan or China to enable them to export to the USA, that's what the data tells us. They do just fine without diversity, and again the myth goes up in smoke. Similarly, the USA used to have huge trade surpluses when this nation didn't suffer from crippling diversity. It doesn't help, it hurts. For every case like yours above, in which you could have just hired a foreign consultant anyway, diversity in far more instances makes the US less competitive since it's not a strength it's a weakness, distraction, and source of tension. It causes inefficiencies in the workplace and it wastes time and resources. Diversity is not a prerequisite for business success in the global marketplace and China and Japan prove that mightily.

Last edited by lionelrich; 10-25-2008 at 12:04 AM..

Old 10-25-2008, 12:12 AM

56 posts, read 93,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
I rarely see a sports team all black,white,Mexican team do better than team with some sort of mix sports team..
What about the NBA finals? Race was a huge issue and the diverse team (Lakers) were beaten badly by the racist/non-diverse team (Celtics).

consider reading this (in light of the Cubs implosion) for a diverse viewpoint from the orthodoxy:

Quote:
VDARE.com: 06/27/08 - Immigrant Baseball—The Bubble Bursts

During the last two years, I’ve reviewed a substantial body of evidence that proves that overstocking major league baseball teams with players of multiple cultures and ethnicities does not produce winning teams. In fact, the immigrant strategy generates more headaches than wins.

Old 10-25-2008, 12:58 AM

1,254 posts, read 1,289,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionelrich View Post
Yeah, I've heard that argument before. Why is it that "diverse" USA has the world's worst trade deficits, and homogenous China and Japan are the world's top exporters? How is that your premise is 100% refuted by real data?

You don't need tens of millions of White people working in Japan or China to enable them to export to the USA, that's what the data tells us. They do just fine without diversity, and again the myth goes up in smoke. Similarly, the USA used to have huge trade surpluses when this nation didn't suffer from crippling diversity. It doesn't help, it hurts. For every case like yours above, in which you could have just hired a foreign consultant anyway, diversity in far more instances makes the US less competitive since it's not a strength it's a weakness, distraction, and source of tension. It causes inefficiencies in the workplace and it wastes time and resources. Diversity is not a prerequisite for business success in the global marketplace and China and Japan prove that mightily.
So how do you propose we remedy our diversity problem?

Old 10-25-2008, 03:40 AM

7,875 posts, read 6,636,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionelrich View Post
What about the NBA finals? Race was a huge issue and the diverse team (Lakers) were beaten badly by the racist/non-diverse team (Celtics).

consider reading this (in light of the Cubs implosion) for a diverse viewpoint from the orthodoxy:
Try soccer and ask that question.Race and culture can be two different things.Don't include China.Im so sick of people saying that China is a success.Its not remarkable at all!!Its a communist country that squashes dissent and has millions of poor people,has NO regard for the environment at all.If you ignore all these things yeh you can become powerful!!
Im not saying that countries that can't learn anything form Japan.But japan or China are still NOT on par with the U.S.Japan simply learns how to take things from other places and make them better.Japan did not create the Television.radio,computer,cell phone,refrigerator,automobile,Light bulb.China gave us gunpowder and dynamite!!LOL
Im not talking about immigrants.Im talking about people who move to a country and assimilate in that society along with those who have traditionally been here.

I never said it never happens i said not as much do non diverse teams win.

Old 10-25-2008, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
...China gave us gunpowder and dynamite!!LOL...
...and noodles,soy,tea,silk,etc...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago