U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2008, 10:19 PM

7 posts, read 13,488 times

Advertisements

Very cool, thanks for the replies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2008, 05:58 AM

4,793 posts, read 8,449,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jokaman70 View Post
OK, how about this...

I've found another place on W North Ave between Claremont Ave. and Oakley Blvd...is this a better neighborhood? The apartment itself isn't as nice as the one West of Humboldt Park but the neighborhood's better...right?

Thanks a lot, guys!
That's really close where I live. I actually live behind St Elizabeth Hospital.

Western Ave splits Humboldt from Wicker Park.

LSD OLIVE Park is 4.8 miles away, so is downtown, this is an 18 minute bike ride.

I never really run into obvious gangs in Humbodlt Park.

Old 10-24-2008, 01:42 PM

668 posts, read 1,462,183 times
Pulaski and Augusta is a very nice area with many respectable, hard working citizens. I reccomend it to anyone looking for a place in the Humboldt Park area who likes strong community leadership and a tight bond equal to only those found in small midwestern towns.

Old 10-24-2008, 01:58 PM

2,343 posts, read 4,922,075 times
Default Pulaski and Augusta?

Banx,

I know you were kidding with that last post, but not funny. I drive by there everyday. I am near Pulaski and North and do not go south of Grand, certainly not south of Division on foot.

Pulaski and Augusta is horrible. There is a flashing blue light at Pulaski and Division, Pulaski and Chicago (by the school), Grand and Hamlin. It is not a nice area.

Too bad too, because there is a lot of good housing stock in there. Unfortunately, the residents are not as nice.

I own a place a few blocks north of there, but am not looking to buy anymore places there, though I will keep the place I have as it does cashflow from the rents I receive. Gentrification is just too far off. Instead, I am focusing on areas like Bucktown, West Town, Wicker Park, and Logan Square, where gentrification has already arrived or is certainly well on its way.

Eevee,

You should weigh in as you used to live around there.

I am from a small midwestern town, grew up on a hog/cattle farm 3 miles north of town of 10,000. It is nothing like where I grew up, where you could go Christmas shopping on the square and leave the keys in your running car to keep the car warm and where few people lock their doors (no need when you have shotguns, rifles, and handguns in most households). Voting democrat is practically considered a sin and no one is pro-choice and everyone is white and has family that has been here well over 100 years.

Old 10-24-2008, 04:41 PM

15,589 posts, read 13,001,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banx View Post
Pulaski and Augusta is a very nice area with many respectable, hard working citizens. I reccomend it to anyone looking for a place in the Humboldt Park area who likes strong community leadership and a tight bond equal to only those found in small midwestern towns.
Are you trying to be sarcastic? I sure hope so.

Old 10-24-2008, 09:22 PM

2,522 posts, read 2,750,409 times
Coming to this late, but Humboldt seems to have become more gang infested of late. Just a bit more to the east, along North Avenue, closer to Damen is Bucktown. The rents and property values will be higher, but it is definitely a much safer area. Good luck with the move.

Old 10-25-2008, 12:13 AM

5,559 posts, read 8,868,912 times
Pulaski and Augusta, eh? you couldn't pay me to live in that area anymore. sorry, I lived near Pulaski and Division, and while nothing major happened to me (I'm still alive), there's is just no reason whatsoever for me to ever step foot in that area again. I remember taking the Chicago bus west and walking North from Pulaski and Chicago at like 11pm or so and being unnerved by the whole walk and just finally hopped on the bus and rode it for 2 stops (I even got a "are you f'in crazy!?!" response from my roommate when I told her this).

I, like many others likely, was drawn in by the cheap rent (plus, I was fairly new to Chicago and didn't know the reputation of the area that well). frankly, the cheap rent just wasn't worth it. it wasn't just the safety issues (I'm not some scared little suburban girl that jumps whenever a guy in a hoodie walks towards me), it's just that the overall quality of life just sucks in that area. at the time when I lived there, I just accepted it, but now that I've been out of there for almost 5 months, I regret not moving out sooner. I'm paying almost the same amount in rent in the relatively safer Pilsen area, which, while it still has it's own gang issues, is just a better quality of life compared to WHP. better transportation options, better shopping options, overall nicer areas (there are some well kept homes in the area, but also some boarded up, unkempt houses and buildings also, like that boarded up yellow brick building near Division and Karlov several times a week. though the apartment I lived in in WHP was so much bigger than my current one). honestly, you'd be better off living in Austin or Garfield Park since at least you'll be close to the green line.

I suppose if you're looking to buy cheap housing and make an investment, the area is fine, but I had no reason at all to stay in that area, especially when I learned there were other, better neighborhoods that weren't much more expensive. not an area I'd recommend

ETA: I didn't feel much of a strong bond or community leadership when I lived there. just saw trash all over the streets, groups of people hanging out at the convenience store and hot dog place near Pulaski and Division (the latter of which, and possibly the former, if I remember correctly, had thick bullet proof glass separating the employees from the customers), posters all proclaiming "stop the killing", etc. not an area I'd feel comfortable just hanging out w/ the neighbors (I'd be too worried they'd be drug dealers.), definitely not an area I'd personally raise kids in. some people were nice, but many just kept to themselves. I haven't live in the Midwest long, but I'm pretty sure this isn't what small Midwestern towns are like, at least not the nice ones

Last edited by eevee; 10-25-2008 at 12:26 AM..

Old 10-25-2008, 11:49 PM

454 posts, read 863,415 times
It's an "up and coming area", which is code for... well, we all know what that's code for.

That area in particular has broken the spirits or more delusionally idealistic 'urban pioneers' than any other I know if. In time, it may change, but right now, there are vastly better choices.

Old 10-25-2008, 11:59 PM

454 posts, read 863,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lincolnparker View Post
so forgive me for my simple mind, but how did asians become part of the "white" race?
They aren't, but for statistical purposes, racial delineation (both state and federal) can be pretty 'ambiguous' even though it's clear as a bell to anyone with a working brain and functional retinas. For example, if you go to the Illinois Sex Offender Website and search Cook County, on the very first page, we have Epigmenio Aguayo, race: White

Baltazar Aguilar, race: "Unknown"

etc, etc, etc, etc...

Old 05-23-2009, 11:45 PM

3 posts, read 62,245 times
Default Logan Square / Humboldt Park

I'm looking to buy a home in Logan Square, but just saw a listing for a great place a little further south, and I don't know that area very well. Its one block south of Armitage and half a block east of Kedzie. Does anyone know that area? Is it safe? Is it too far off from Logan Square central to hope for appreciation in property values?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago